Do you want to learn to play modded Minecraft? - FTB Academy

Greboth

Hello all,

As some of you may know, I have run a modded Minecraft server for FG over the last few years.  Modded Minecraft can be quite different to vanilla so to that end FTB, a modpack maker, made a pack called FTB Academy.  The purpose of the pack is to provide an in game quest line with tips and instructions on how to use the included mods.  This pack was originally released several years ago which we played but I noticed the other days there’s an updated version.

So given several people have said during other conversations about wanting to join, I thought this would be a great opportunity for anyone that wants to try it to get involved, learn some mods and hopefully have some fun.  So I’m posting this currently just to gauge interest and if there is, I shall switch the server over to FTB Academy and create an event to start the modpack on Sunday 1 February.

So if you want to join what do you need?

You’ll need an account for Minecraft Java edition (this is different to the Windows 10 or the version on consoles that is/was used for the realm)

Your Minecraft username (this is different to your Gamertag, see FAQ below) which you’ll need to reply to this thread with, or PM it to me, so I can whitelist you on the server.

You’ll need to download and install the FTB Launcher.  Once installed, you’ll need to add the FTB Academy pack.

Launch the game, go to the multiplayer tab and add the FG server.  The name can be anything you want and the IP address is: 62.210.41.17:25414 (NB if you add the server at the moment, it will show an error due to the server running a different modpack)

A quick video on installing the FTB App and installing the modpack.

FAQ

How do I find my Minecraft username?

Your Minecraft username is used in game and in your Microsoft account settings.  Go to www.Minecraft.net and navigate to your profile by using the dropdown box on the top right of your screen.  Select the Minecraft:Java Edition dropdown box and click Profile Name to view your in-game username.

What can I play this on?

Unfortunately as modded Minecraft runs on Java edition it isn’t possible to play on consoles.  As such, play is limited to PC’s only (Windows, Mac or Linux).

What PC Specs do I need to play?

Minecraft primarily relies on CPU and memory to run rather the GPU (graphics card).  Almost any CPU made in the last 5 years, and honestly most in the last 10, combined with at least 8Gb of RAM (16Gb is preferable) should be able to run it.  You can look up the specs of your PC but the easiest way to test it would be load it up and see if it works (Note: running around generating new areas of the world causes the game to lag no matter the spec of your PC).

How do I check what my PC specs are?

If you want to check your specs anyway, on Windows 10 click your start menu, then settings (cog icon), system and then on the bottom of the left column, click ‘About’.  For Mac’s, click on Apple menu, then ‘System settings’, ‘general’ in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down.) Click about on the right and then click System report.  For Linux, I don’t think anyone is using it but I don’t have a clue so www.google.co.uk is your friend.

Can I play with shaders?

Maybe.  Shaders basically change the textures and lighting effects of Minecraft and can have a massive impact on how the game looks but also can have a massive difference to how well it runs too.  However shaders can be funny when it comes to modded blocks so this is definitely a try it and find out as your mileage may vary.  Personally, I stick to no shaders but that’s mostly because I’m too lazy to sort out shaders for each pack we play.

What if I get stuck while playing FTB Academy?

In the original version the in-game guide pretty much covered everything but I haven’t played this version of the pack so don’t know how thorough it is this time around.  If you get stuck, Google is your friend as you can usually find the online wiki for the mod, a video explaining the mod or someone asking the same question (usually on reddit).  I will also be around most of the time to hop on if and when as I think I’ve played through most, if not all, the mods in Academy before.

What if there’s no interest in FTB Academy but I still want to play?

The server has been running for several years now and will continue to do so while periodically changing modpacks.  If there’s no interest in FTB Academy, I’ll switch the server over to a different modpack instead (modpack TBC) which you’re more than welcome to join.

I think this covers everything but any questions or problems, let me know or post them here and I’ll do my best to answer them.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Best endeavors and all that....😅 I'm trying to sort January and beyond out this week and next so I'll pop in here and ask soon when is a good time to rally the troops to help us noobs.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Right you bumders let's see if we can get this going somewhere.  I'm tagging those who I've got even the vaguest recollection of being interested or I know has a PC but the server is open to anyone really 🙂

Tom @LordBaguette I'm sure this would run on your Mac

@Diddums It's not Tekkit but you know you want to get back in to modded MC

Carl @TurboR56Mini You've joined a couple of the packs but not really known what was going on so now is your chance to learn

Gary @techno I don't think you use your PC for anything else so fancy joining?

Conner @JamaicanSteve I've got a vague recollection of you talking about it but not sure if you have a PC?

@Ajay I'm sure @crispymorgan mentioned you wanting to use his Java account so maybe time to pester him some more

@Tadnothad How's your PC doing these days? I've got a vague recollection you said in Wales it was broken but hopefully you've got it fixed

@Sennex Noticed you've been around the forums recently and you're always welcome to join

@Macca89 I know you don't like MC so just tagging you to annoy you 😄

2 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

I have a macbook air laptop, it wont 😂

Minecraft runs on a potato so piece of fruit shouldn’t be a drama

Edit: read this 

main-custom-t-3250-600x315-kkxfvloldgrbw
WWW.QUORA.COM

Answer (1 of 22): Update: The new M1 Macbook Air will play the game just fine. Go ahead. The answer below is for the older Intel variants. No game you run on a computer damages it, absolutely none. Let's just...

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Just read through the thread and yes I have a pc and as you say @Greboth I don't use it 😫😁 but also I'm a complete noob, that earlier post in the thread may have well been in Chinese, however wifey has a new job starting in May so when she finally has to fuck off out to work again my pc is moving downstairs so I plan on using it more so this is definitely an opportunity and as such I'm definitely interested in but I've never had anything to do with Minecraft ever. 

6 hours ago, techno said:

Just read through the thread and yes I have a pc and as you say @Greboth I don't use it 😫😁 but also I'm a complete noob, that earlier post in the thread may have well been in Chinese, however wifey has a new job starting in May so when she finally has to fuck off out to work again my pc is moving downstairs so I plan on using it more so this is definitely an opportunity and as such I'm definitely interested in but I've never had anything to do with Minecraft ever. 

Honestly we probably won't be on Academy by then as larger packs are usually done in a few months but Academy is not a large pack though we shall see.  However you'll still be welcome on the server if/whenever you want to jump on and can go through some of the basics of modded 🙂

Due to someone *cough* Matt *cough* irradiating the last server, FTB Academy is now live on the server for all to play.

The server does run a whitelist though so you won't be able to join until I have your username.  I can add to the whitelist almost at anytime so drop me a message here or whatsapp and I'll add you.

14 hours ago, Greboth said:

Honestly we probably won't be on Academy by then as larger packs are usually done in a few months but Academy is not a large pack though we shall see.  However you'll still be welcome on the server if/whenever you want to jump on and can go through some of the basics of modded 🙂

I meant march 🙄 but I will take a look at it before then as I do need some motivation to use it more. Will look through the thread and video etc. I assume you'll need some sort of base game? 

2 hours ago, techno said:

I meant march 🙄 but I will take a look at it before then as I do need some motivation to use it more. Will look through the thread and video etc. I assume you'll need some sort of base game? 

Ah yeah, there's a better chance we'll still be on Academy in March 🙂

My little video covers how to install the pack but yes, you need a Minecraft account to log in to the FTB Launcher.  So if you don't have the vanilla game, you'll need to buy it though you'll need to make sure to get the Java edition (Not the Windows 10, PE or Bedrock or whatever it's called on the store)

On 1/15/2023 at 6:25 AM, Greboth said:

Carl @TurboR56Mini You've joined a couple of the packs but not really known what was going on so now is your chance to learn

Lol. I will certainly try, I like digging holes.

@Misneach_@GazzaGarratt@Diddums@Plumbers Crack@TurboR56Mini@Spacedeck

Tagging everyone whitelisted as they've done some upgrades on the server and as such we have a new IP address 194.125.248.194:25414

21 hours ago, Greboth said:

@Misneach_@GazzaGarratt@Diddums@Plumbers Crack@TurboR56Mini@Spacedeck

Tagging everyone whitelisted as they've done some upgrades on the server and as such we have a new IP address 194.125.248.194:25414

Hotness

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Thanks @Greboth, is it the same world we jumped on initially or a new world with additional mods and quests?

It’s the same pack and same world 🙂 Just a change in IP.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:37 AM, Greboth said:

It’s the same pack and same world 🙂 Just a change in IP.

Now that I've finished Hogwarts I can "dig deep" into learning MC...

It's a pretty simple pack so shouldn't take too long to learn which I guess is the point.  But any questions, let me know 🙂 Or let me know when you're on and I'll jump on to go through stuff if need be.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:17 AM, Greboth said:

It's a pretty simple pack so shouldn't take too long to learn which I guess is the point.  But any questions, let me know 🙂 Or let me know when you're on and I'll jump on to go through stuff if need be.

I plan on trying today.

I'm learning! I completed the basic bitch page, found out I can teleport, have a nice shaft 🙂 of the mine variety... then I realized there are like a bunch more pages...

I've been remiss in checking in but how is everyone getting on with this?

I know Matt completed everything about 3 hours after the server went live 😄 but looking at the server logs I can see no-one has been online in a few weeks.  Are people stuck? bored? or has everyone completed the quests?

40 minutes ago, Greboth said:

I've been remiss in checking in but how is everyone getting on with this?

I know Matt completed everything about 3 hours after the server went live 😄 but looking at the server logs I can see no-one has been online in a few weeks.  Are people stuck? bored? or has everyone completed the quests?

MW got a grip again 😎

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork