MW3 beta first impressions

techno

After saying I wasn't going to pre-order I came in from the pub and was playing mw2, and thought why when I could try something new so fuck it.

I have to say I'm glad I did because I've had more fun on this beta than on mw2 for a while. People know my biggest gripe for mw2 was maps, infact I think bad maps are the games biggest killer (ghosts) so no real excuses now. The gun play is solid and tbh straight away drew comparison to AW in feel. 

There are a few issues, mainly I have to agree visibility of players and the team they are in is an issue also, and no surprise footstep audio however the sneakers may help that but I wouldn't want it to be a crutch perk, if it is then that shows it's an issue. With the old school mini map it as suggested in the past helps with game flow and will mean suppressors will be useful. So far come November 10th mw2 can be banished for good.

Sadly only managed about an hour on the beta so will have to give it a better go in the upcoming beta dates.  Though I didn’t see anything to make me not want to get it.  It’s certainly good to have the old maps back.

A couple of things though, I can see the breacher drone getting nerfed as it’s quite OP at times.  It also seems there’s some description missing on some things as it took a few minutes to figure out why I didn’t have a lethal grenade until I figure out the vest changes it.  I assume one of the other vest gives overkill too but hard to know as they don’t say it.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

14 hours ago, techno said:

and no surprise footstep audio however the sneakers may help that but I wouldn't want it to be a crutch perk, if it is then that shows it's an issue. 

There is the equipment that makes footsteps louder so I suspect that the quiet sneakers will end up being a crutch perk. Why they've put something in that makes footsteps louder is a mystery to me. They know that people hate the loud footsteps in MW2.

fart.gif

I like a lot of what I see,  but then I jump into MW2 and I’m reminded of the SBMM and how aggressive it is which will be exactly the same in MW3 so I’m torn in all honesty.

2 hours ago, MrBiron said:

There is the equipment that makes footsteps louder so I suspect that the quiet sneakers will end up being a crutch perk. Why they've put something in that makes footsteps louder is a mystery to me. They know that people hate the loud footsteps in MW2.

I think they had to put that in to counter the covert sneakers, however with how the gear works people may not run that as much as something maybe more beneficial. 

Weird matchmaking, joined a lobby where it put all rank 1 players in one team with the other team mostly rank 15+

Not actually played a full game yet as I just wanted to get a quick flavour of it while waiting for food to cook. No pun intended. 

Will give it a proper go later.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Had my first proper go, Hardpoint on Favela. And of course i was the only person in my team playing the objective lol

Felt great to be quite honest, I love all the new places you can climb on that map and I'm now worried I might actually buy it. 

Also, I agree on friendlies and enemies, so I'll be steering clear of hardcore game modes just in case I team kill and get booted.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

So I just put some brief thoughts in the whatsapp but generally it is just amalgamation of just previous games, ui from the last game, perks from the one before and maps from 10 years ago (albeit snazzied up a bit). I think it sums up though the problem with these titles in that they have gotten comfortable with call of duty, it's a bit like fifa, no need to try something new or innovate really, people will continue to buy the game why create anything new. Let's just take things from previous games and release it as a full title, I find that really shitty to be honest.

That aside, yeah it's fine and plays like a typical COD.

I think the only reason I am contemplating picking it up is because I have a group of friends that play zombies and they are contemplating getting this one and I would quite like to play more games with them again (I used to play a lot of battlefield with them). If it was just for the multiplayer element I am not really sure I would bother with it and find it a little absurd that it will probably sell quite well for that alone.

Luseth.png

I played and got myself to level 20. 

I am not sure to be honest

The movement is too much like a jack rabbit that is high on crack. Running like crazy everywhere and just too quick

The TTK was pretty bad for me. I would unload an entire clip into 2 opponent and then die reloading because I needed so much ammo to kill anything

The kill streaks were rather Meh. I ended up playing with SAM, Counter, VTOL or whatever it was. 

The guns were nothing spectacular. The LMG was just garbage 

I did like the maps and if they were just to offer this as a map pack for MWII + Zombies I would be quite happy

I didn't get a chance to use the sniper riffle much. With the super fast movement is rather difficult to get a good shot unless they are coming right at you

The perk system was interesting. Not sure about it yet but I have not complaints. However I didn't get to play it much since one of the vest unlocks at level 19 I believe and the last one does not

I did play on PSN and unlike other games the connection was pretty good. I will give the XBOX a chance this next Beta and see if it plays better, same or worse before choosing a platform

Skidrow, Favela and rust were fun.  Estate just seem to big for guns we had. I could hit the target just fine but I couldn't down anything. Won't be a problem once we have all the guns I assume

I managed one game before the beta ended.

Being able to run around with quiet footsteps instantly made the game more fun than MW2. I can now flank successfully and got quite a few kills from behind which simply isn't possible in MW2.

I thought I'd hate the TTK but it didn't bother me. Then again I was using the UMP45 on Favela so I don't know what will happen on a map with longer sight lines.

There were a couple of coked up, bunny hopping sweats on the other team. Why play like that in a Beta? I just laughed.

fart.gif

I got to play it briefly and I'm not really sure about this. On the one hand it feels more fluid like MW 2019 and it's nice to be revisiting old maps. On the other, it's just MW2 2022 with a couple of key tweaks and a recycled DLC pack of maps for £60. The interface and everything else is largely the same. It actually doesn't feel all that refined either and the maps look visually washed out. I can't blame the developers though as this is a cross between a rushed product dressed up desperately as a full game and a jumbled mess of withheld content that's probably existed for two years and would've been in MW2 if it had more staying power.  A lot will depend on the campaign for me but I fear this will get stale after a few weeks and Activision still can't outlay a proper content map after all these years. 

They could've and should've integrated all the Modern Warfare to form a trilogy and this should've been the plan from day one but each game is just a mess of inconsistent changes and design. This could've been done so much better but it's just a fragmented mess of games and content with so many needless design changes.  I do think it will do well but I'm not sure if it'll have the staying power once the novelty wears off. 

I swear it’s some sort of sick joke on the part of SHG saying the TTK is increased because getting killed just as quick as I did in MW2 and it’s taking me like half a clip to kill somone.

mirrors my exact same experience of the MW2 beta too! It’s fucking weird 

19 hours ago, anticonscience said:

I swear it’s some sort of sick joke on the part of SHG saying the TTK is increased because getting killed just as quick as I did in MW2 and it’s taking me like half a clip to kill somone.

mirrors my exact same experience of the MW2 beta too! It’s fucking weird 

Shit low tick servers are to blame for that.

I tried to get into this and just didn't enjoy it. TTK is massively inconsistent, loads of sweats playing. I might pick up the actual game when it's released but I'll be sticking to HC.

fart.gif

This will definitely be the sweatiest COD to date and SBMM is already heavily tuned up in the beta it seems. It'll be even worse on release because the whales will be armed to teeth with their P2W bundle weapons which even nerfed, are still better than the base weapons. I think users can carry over their skins too, so day one you'll have people dressed up like Barbie and Godzilla running around with their weapon of choice from any one of the 15+ £25 bundles previously bought.  I think this could be a bad experienced even for seasoned returning players that haven't played for a while.

Another interesting thing is Activision have merged MW3 with MW2 and Warzone on Steam to form a centralised Call of Duty AppID. They've basically done this to swerve any player count scrutiny for the multiplayer portion meaning they have effectively closed and DMCA'd every API at the expense of MW3 appearing as DLC ironically. Too bad they didn't strategically centralise the entire new era Modern Warfare 2019, MW2 and MW3 into a collective package so users could cross-play maps across games but instead have made a knee-jerk decision to do it just to cover up any potential dips in popularity. 

18 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

It'll be even worse on release because the whales will be armed to teeth with their P2W bundle weapons which even nerfed, are still better than the base weapons. 

Weapons from MW2 carry over so just use whichever OP gun is from that game.

fart.gif

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Is it possible to start afresh in MW3 - do they give carrying weapons over as an option? I think I'd quite like to start over

As far as I'm aware you can't start over with MW2 weapons. They're kept separate from MW3 weapons as MW3 weapons have different attachments. 

fart.gif

3 hours ago, MrBiron said:

As far as I'm aware you can't start over with MW2 weapons. They're kept separate from MW3 weapons as MW3 weapons have different attachments. 

What I meant was is the carrying over of weapons, skins, etc from MW2 just an option when you start the game? I want to start again with just MW3 guns etc. I don't want to carry rank or use anything from MW2

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

10 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

What I meant was is the carrying over of weapons, skins, etc from MW2 just an option when you start the game? I want to start again with just MW3 guns etc. I don't want to carry rank or use anything from MW2

I think you can carry over paid bundle guns and skins but MW3 will have it's own selection of base weapons. I'm not sure if MW2 progressed base weapons carry but certainly paid-for content is. If base weapons are available with progression attached along with the bundles on top then that could have a dire affect on the basic MW3 weapon pool is my concern and as per usual, the developers are very vague about this. 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I think you can carry over paid bundle guns and skins but MW3 will have it's own selection of base weapons. I'm not sure if MW2 progressed base weapons carry but certainly paid-for content is. If base weapons are available with progression attached along with the bundles on top then that could have a dire affect on the basic MW3 weapon pool is my concern and as per usual, the developers are very vague about this. 

I am led to believe after watching Nero all mw2 weapons will carry over into mw3 and all the attachments you've unlocked plus skins etc. Wether you use them is upto you. @Plumbers Crack

On 10/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, cyberninja2601 said:

The movement is too much like a jack rabbit that is high on crack. Running like crazy everywhere and just too quick

The TTK was pretty bad for me. I would unload an entire clip into 2 opponent and then die reloading because I needed so much ammo to kill anything

Only had a few games with FG the other night but I did feel very similar to Pat on this one. Saving grace for me was no one playing the objective so I still felt a little bit useful 🤣

It will still be a good game I reckon. Many here will enjoy it I think as movement was quicker (I think prefer it a little slower like MW2) but providing TTK isn't ridiculously quick then I can enjoy it. My opinion isn't worth much though because I don't know the old maps like pretty much all of you as I never played old MW2 as much as you guys and girls did all those years ago. Excited to play on the maps as they'll be new to me.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb