PC Build

Teenwolf25

Custom Gaming PC builds, talk to me….. There’s a monstrous amount to chose from, especially when it comes to motherboards and gpus etc. I always think more expensive is better but in this case I think it’s a balancing game from what I have read up. What builds do people already have and what problems have you had? If you had a choice what would you get. I know components are hard to get atm so is a pre built a better option??

Getting a ready made one if you haven't got the knowledge or patience is the way to go as there isn't much difference in pricing these days. To help people here help you find some bundles you need to share what you're looking for, so for example:

• What's your budget?
  • Do you need peripherals too e.g. mouse, keyboard, etc?
  • Any minimum requirements e.g. at least 24" monitor or needs 2 monitors, etc?
  • Do you need it to fit a certain space?
  • What games do you want it to run?

Your budget will dictate most stuff but the games are important as that will dictate the type of performance it needs.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

@Diddums @phil bottle @Greboth @Tar-Eruntalion  @RenFengge @TurboR56Mini  @cyberninja2601  @BO7H B4RRELS  and anyone else to help with some advice and bundles please. Clive I think also needs Intel vs Ryzen advice too. Fanks 🧡

You aren’t too far wrong with more expensive is better.  The balancing comes in that if you’re trying to stick to a budget then you obviously need to make sure you have everything.  There’s also some balancing also to do with performance; there’s no point having a monsterous gpu paired with a rubbish cpu because you won’t use the full gpu power for example.

Build your own or pre built; under normal circumstances I’m heavily on favour of building my own.  It’s generally cheaper or you can spec a better pc.  However given current prices and availability pre-builts look like far better value.

To give some indication of where to start, what budget are you working to? and what do you need; just the pc or monitor, mouse and keyboard etc?

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I was speaking in Discord and Ajay said look at a company called Scan. I’m hey basically build the pc for you to either their specs or yours. I’ve looked at the packages they do and they his is the kind’ve thing I’ve been looking at below. 

From what I can tell these seem to be good specs for what I’ve seen online and watching YouTube builders. There’s a ryzen version too for the same cost but runs on windows 10 instead of 11. It’s something I’m looking at after Xmas. I appreciate if I built it myself it’d be more satisfying but for what I’d have to pay for the components it’d be mental money. Gpu alone sell for upto £2k like wtf 

861815D9-172A-4CB8-85C2-71C2394DA679.png

6C782084-AF3F-4EE0-B8B8-D935763D9837.png

076AD609-59F5-44C5-9C95-78830D9CB43E.png

43 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:
  • What's your budget?
  • Do you need peripherals too e.g. mouse, keyboard, etc?
  • Any minimum requirements e.g. at least 24" monitor or needs 2 monitors, etc?
  • Do you need it to fit a certain space?
  • What games do you want it to run?

Start with these questions, but perhaps more importantly, how long does it have to last you, and would you be happy to upgrade it yourself in a few years time? 

Also, what resolution do you want to play at? That'll define what graphics card you need. 

Those ones you linked above are silly money, you can get something good for half that. 

banlol.png

Hmmmm. 

"I just want something good that will last a while and allow me to laude all over the console peasants, I don't care how much it costs" - sound about right? 

In that case, bosh:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-orionx2-dual-system-extreme-overclocked-pc-intel-core-i9-10980xe-and-intel-core-i7-10700k-fs-006-8p.html

banlol.png

18 minutes ago, Teenwolf25 said:

You should know me by now. I want 4k at highest fps available on highest settings if that makes sense. I don’t want to have to run 4k on low ingame graphical settings just to maintain a good FPS and don’t want screen tear 

So are you basically saying there isn't a budget or there is? Cos like Didds says that seems overpriced to hell. That also comes with nothing else, just the Tower btw.

10 minutes ago, Teenwolf25 said:

You should know me by now. I want 4k at highest fps available on highest settings if that makes sense. I don’t want to have to run 4k on low ingame graphical settings just to maintain a good FPS and don’t want screen tear 

Also bear in mind that you will need a extreme-end monitor to get a true benefit - no point in splashing out £3,000 on a rig and then having a £249 monitor from Curry's that does just 60fps and has a poor panel. You may need to spend another £1000-£2200 on top if you're going the distance. Alternatively you can pick up a high-end 2K monitor, run most games at ultra and still have a 3 figure framerate in return. The image wont be as good but the difference is minimal and the price is significant. 

Chillblast also represent excellent quality and value - this is a great build https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-next-day-zen-rtx-3080-gaming-pc.html?category_id=529 

1 hour ago, Teenwolf25 said:

I was looking at monitors upto £1k separately. Something like this but new

That monitor only supports up to 1440p resolution - it's comparable 4K brother was about £2300 new when it first released and is not being produced any more. Big jump in price and tech. There are quite a few 4K monitors floating around but most are piss poor quality and low-end - they may seem good value but the Hz rate, panel and general image quality is sub-par compared to the upper market. 1440p (2K) isn't a bad way to go especially if you can grab a 144hz+ IPS model for under £500. Many 4K screens now are 31.5'' and above - there's not a lot of basic high-end 4K ones so it can be a bit of a headache trying to find the right one and getting the wrong one can be expensive and impact your experience going forward. 

You can even grab a 2K one and apply DSR which upscales the image on Nvidia cards. That's another benefit and the 1440p range is very extensive now and good value for money. You'll also be able to run all new games maxed out for probably the next 7 years. Anything with G-Sync and good HDR is a bonus. Even if you get a cheaper temporary monitor for a year or two, it's not a bad way to go. The 4K market is a bit wayward right now with companies trying to grab the console and living room gaming market so a lot of resources are being plunged into increasing size ranges rather than producing typical 28'' quality ones. 

6 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

That monitor only supports up to 1440p resolution - it's comparable 4K brother was about £2300 new when it first released and is not being produced any more. Big jump in price and tech. There are quite a few 4K monitors floating around but most are piss poor quality and low-end - they may seem good value but the Hz rate, panel and general image quality is sub-par compared to the upper market. 1440p (2K) isn't a bad way to go especially if you can grab a 144hz+ IPS model for under £500. Many 4K screens now are 31.5'' and above - there's not a lot of basic high-end 4K ones so it can be a bit of a headache trying to find the right one and getting the wrong one can be expensive and impact your experience going forward. 

You can even grab a 2K one and apply DSR which upscales the image on Nvidia cards. That's another benefit and the 1440p range is very extensive now and good value for money. You'll also be able to run all new games maxed out for probably the next 7 years. Anything with G-Sync and good HDR is a bonus. Even if you get a cheaper temporary monitor for a year or two, it's not a bad way to go. The 4K market is a bit wayward right now with companies trying to grab the console and living room gaming market so a lot of resources are being plunged into increasing size ranges rather than producing typical 28'' quality ones. 

Legend mate thank you. I’ll probably get a high spec 1440 then to start with and see what happens in a he future. If I’m honest I’d rather have awesome graphics on a 2k not running at max capacity then have ok graphics on a 4k that’s always running maxed out if that make sense or a thing that happens 

To follow on from James' comments about monitors, 2k/1440p/QHD (different names for the same thing) are the sweet spot right now in my opinion especially if you're also looking at higher refresh rates.  It's obviously game dependant but RTX3090's can push 4k at over 100fps on average but you'll see dips in to double digits still.  I think some of expectation over resolution is due to referring to them by only one edge, so some people think 4k is twice the resolution of 1080p but as the pixel count on both edges double, 4k is 4 times the resolution of 1080p which is why it is so hard to get high fps.  A 1440p screen though it 'only' 1.8x the pixels of 1080p so still a nice resolution increase but without quite the gpu hammering of 4k.  Most of the systems (sensibly) being linked are RTX3080's which on high settings should on most games keep you at or over 120fps on average.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png