One For The Woken

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Well worth a watch

Nah not really. Those who talk about "woke" and "anti-woke" people are as bad as each other. Bell ends all.

As for the premise of this guy's point, which seems to be telling young people not to complain about the state of the world they have inherited, just work harder and make it better? Vacuous bollocks in my opinion. 

Makes me laugh how the enemies of society are the misguided people who want to live in a nice world. Is today's woke just yesterday's do gooder or bleeding heart? There's always been a pejorative name for these people. 

When I meet someone who is a bit over the top with their 'wokeness' i argue with them to make my point, I don't call them names, I feel calling people names means you're the one with the weak argument. Calling people woke for me is a form of cowardice.

I met a couple once who wanted to ban Only Fools and Horses for racism. I reasoned with them and they changed their mind. I didn't cry like a baby and call them names. That's  all I see here in this video.

My tuppence 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

OK Phil, but, for context, he was speaking in a debate entitled “has wokeness gone too far?” which is probably why the term was used so frequently.

I don’t really think it’s vacuous bollocks to point out that, although it may have been the industrial revolution that was the beginning of global warming, a major factor now is disadvantaged people who just want to make their own lives better.

Also, again for context, he was saying to the people he was debating with, they should be working harder to make scientific and technical breakthroughs towards clean energy that was cheap i.e. affordable for the people in the world who can only currently afford fossil fuels. I don’t think that’s vacuous bollocks either

Just my opinion and I’ll raise you to a threepenny bit 😘

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

6 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

OK Phil, but, for context, he was speaking in a debate entitled “has wokeness gone too far?” which is probably why the term was used so frequently.

I don’t really think it’s vacuous bollocks to point out that, although it may have been the industrial revolution that was the beginning of global warming, a major factor now is disadvantaged people who just want to make their own lives better.

Also, again for context, he was saying to the people he was debating with, they should be working harder to make scientific and technical breakthroughs towards clean energy that was cheap i.e. affordable for the people in the world who can only currently afford fossil fuels. I don’t think that’s vacuous bollocks either

Just my opinion and I’ll raise you to a threepenny bit 😘

Nice one Dave 🙂

Yeah for me its vacuous to state the obvious and ignore all sorts of elephants in the room. Of course we want better cleaner tech, but where is our responsibility? We can't rely on tech to save us when we can't even save ourselves. Imagine us letting the sewers into the sea because the big bad EU is not here to stop us anymore. Oh yeah, that's already happened. Nothing to do with wokeness and everything to do with Profit.

We live in one of richest countries in the world where working people rely on charity.

But no, it's wokeness that's the problem? No, it's how we organise ourselves and how we look for scapegoats instead of being honest. 

Yes, i agree people can be overzealous in their way of going about things but we can always tell such people to fuck off 🙂 They're a product, a symptom even, of our great malaise, not the cause.

This is just me and my opinion, you know me sir, fucking hate Capitalism 🙈😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I think people would be more respectful of these students if they could back up their argument and concerns without quoting generic tripe they pulled off of TikTok for instance. Most of them bathe in hypocrisy which doesn't help their cause and when confronted with facts and logic, they mostly have no answer and struggle to provide a credible response that is factual and could provide debate.

I don't like people who outright dismiss worries of the world but people that complain about stuff without knowing why just doesn't help the situation.  Always nice to see the Union plant some comedians and alternative thinkers on show because most of the time, the University is pure clown world and it defies belief how some of them walk away with degrees with such a poor and immature understanding of the world. 

The level of wokery in today's society is bordering on insanity levels and most of it is completely unnecessary and of a minority. Most people will not engage in such stuff of fear of being called a right wing Trump supporting Nazi or because they simply don't buy into the credibility of what is being said because it is coming from people that don't come across in a positive or respectful way. 

I follow and listen to this guy and Triggernometry, but I am not getting involved in any politicial discussions on here. We are all too different and from very different walks of life itll only end in tears and arguing

cba

17 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

I follow and listen to this guy and Triggernometry, but I am not getting involved in any politicial discussions on here. We are all too different and from very different walks of life itll only end in tears and arguing

Understandable. Even though I would say we're still small, we are a large tight-knit group and no one wants to fall out, conflict is a real waste of energy these days.

However, good debates and discussions should always be had, thats what places like this are for. Its just extremely difficult if any person at any moment takes something personally when all/most here don't say stuff to antagonise anyone. Speakers Corner worked once in the past, and possibly could again, but the main issue for me is Moderation. We very rarely do that here and lucky not to. However, even when you politely get threads back to OP discussions, you'll still find someone immediately gets angered, which shouldn't be the case. Also not sure I have the energy to help stick my head in when something gets out of hand in that 😅

Sorry, slightly derailed the convo above! But thought as we haven't mentioned much about politics type threads in ages, I thought I'd let you know where I stand. I'd love to learn more from you all and be educated by good debates here. At the same time it could prove more trouble than its worth. I've still not been stopping them as they come up every so often though.

Lastly, I wish everyone could type as eloquently and debate like @phil bottle and @Plumbers Crack  above. Would make everything so much easier! After all, we do have Didds...😅

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

On 1/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, phil bottle said:

Nah not really. Those who talk about "woke" and "anti-woke" people are as bad as each other. Bell ends all.

As for the premise of this guy's point, which seems to be telling young people not to complain about the state of the world they have inherited, just work harder and make it better? Vacuous bollocks in my opinion. 

Makes me laugh how the enemies of society are the misguided people who want to live in a nice world. Is today's woke just yesterday's do gooder or bleeding heart? There's always been a pejorative name for these people. 

When I meet someone who is a bit over the top with their 'wokeness' i argue with them to make my point, I don't call them names, I feel calling people names means you're the one with the weak argument. Calling people woke for me is a form of cowardice.

I met a couple once who wanted to ban Only Fools and Horses for racism. I reasoned with them and they changed their mind. I didn't cry like a baby and call them names. That's  all I see here in this video.

My tuppence 🙂

Have to say I agree about the name calling, I hate the terms woke and snowflake and as I use Twitter a fair bit you see it all the time and "debates " go nowhere the better conversations, when they come are the ones where we maybe on opposite sides of the argument but end amicably. 

Now we all want to live in a better world have a nicer future now wether that is even possible maybe a better question but it certainly won't happen if all we do is argue and fight and stick our heals in the ground, too much these days seems to be this side or that, binary thinking nobody is allowed to consider the grey areas in-between.

One could almost call it common sense or a compromise🤔

2 hours ago, techno said:

Have to say I agree about the name calling, I hate the terms woke and snowflake and as I use Twitter a fair bit you see it all the time and "debates " go nowhere the better conversations, when they come are the ones where we maybe on opposite sides of the argument but end amicably. 

Now we all want to live in a better world have a nicer future now wether that is even possible maybe a better question but it certainly won't happen if all we do is argue and fight and stick our heals in the ground, too much these days seems to be this side or that, binary thinking nobody is allowed to consider the grey areas in-between.

One could almost call it common sense or a compromise🤔

Yep, we rarely see any honest debate online. Also, shit stirring is profitable and the amount of grifters on there with their click bait content makes it even worse. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg