Football (Played with Feet)

Madjonny

On 6/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, phil bottle said:

Looks like it's going to be Nuno for Spurs

How you feeling about this Philly? James @Lurch  ain't feeling that great about it so far!

On 6/30/2021 at 8:21 PM, phil bottle said:

Sancho to Man Utd looks likes it's finally happening 

Good deal for them. Seems they mean business in the market this year.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

On 6/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, phil bottle said:

Looks like it's going to be Nuno for Spurs

@GazzaGarratt can't say I'm happy as he definitely wasn't one Tottenham planned to get, but hopefully he'll help improve some of our younger players and get them into the team a bit more (got to look on the bright side).

Noticed that very rarely Jose would start or feature a youth player unless it was a early cup match, and it's a shame because we have some really fantastic talent such as, Tanganga, Rodon, Sessegnon, Winks, Skipp, Clarke and many more!

Otherwise I'm not overly pleased on the appointment, not a big fan of his playing style or his choice of transfer targets, but we'll see how he does! 

It's a very strange and cheap appointment however it could work to a degree but I wouldn't expect any significant success anytime soon. According to my friend at BT, it was a rather convenient and knee-jerk appointment and they were not willing to let it go into July which ruled out Martinez.  Tottenham's shortlist choices and the available managers was absolutely diabolical though and I sense desperation which likely rubbed-off on a few front runner choices. It doesn't appear there will be significant resources either and with Kane likely to depart, it's a task right from the off.  

I'm alright with Nuno but we'll see after the first couple of games how it goes.

We do have some youngsters that I'd like to see involved in the 1st team and if Nuni encourages that then I'll be happy.

Dane Scarlett in particular. 

Would also like to see Sessegnon get a go now he has returned from a successful spell in Germany.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm quite frustrated that Scott Parker looks like he's joining Bournemouth when Tottenham were linked to him yet it 'feel through'... 

Personally I can't see Nuno succeeding but we can only keep the faith! 

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I'm quite frustrated that Scott Parker looks like he's joining Bournemouth when Tottenham were linked to him yet it 'feel through'... 

Personally I can't see Nuno succeeding but we can only keep the faith! 

I was hoping for Potter or Howe, but I'd have taken Parker too. Now let's see what the squad will look like...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, phil bottle said:

I was hoping for Potter or Howe, but I'd have taken Parker too. Now let's see what the squad will look like...

Potter would've been perfect really but I can't see him leaving Brighton until they go down.. 

Moving back to proper football I've seen pundits suggest Spurs will be outside the top 10 this season. While that's cobblers it does make me wonder which teams will be contenders.

I'd say Man Utd with Sancho look very strong and I believe there's more signings to come.

Man City aren't going to sit on their laurels and Chelsea are looking at spending big too.

Don't see anything from Arsenal but I imagine Liverpool will be looking to strengthen and return to the top.

Haaland and his future will be interesting and a boost to any of the teams above. 

Not sure if Kane will be going anywhere.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

11 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Moving back to proper football I've seen pundits suggest Spurs will be outside the top 10 this season. While that's cobblers it does make me wonder which teams will be contenders.

I'd say Man Utd with Sancho look very strong and I believe there's more signings to come.

Man City aren't going to sit on their laurels and Chelsea are looking at spending big too.

Don't see anything from Arsenal but I imagine Liverpool will be looking to strengthen and return to the top.

Haaland and his future will be interesting and a boost to any of the teams above. 

Not sure if Kane will be going anywhere.

Man United are making moves and I do think they'll be up there again. There young players with another year of experience will be tough to beat if they get a good start.

I think people at other clubs outside Man City and Chelsea need to have a realisation of how football is at the moment and that the instant success culture isn't helping their teams. I think the best thing these teams can do like Arsenal and Spurs are committing and sticking to a 5 year plan to try and win the league.

54 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Man United are making moves and I do think they'll be up there again. There young players with another year of experience will be tough to beat if they get a good start.

I think people at other clubs outside Man City and Chelsea need to have a realisation of how football is at the moment and that the instant success culture isn't helping their teams. I think the best thing these teams can do like Arsenal and Spurs are committing and sticking to a 5 year plan to try and win the league.

I think, like every season of my life that from the start Spurs will win the league. And I believe that until they prove me otherwise. Hopefully that belief will survive the first game of the season 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I think Spurs and Arsenal may very well struggle this year - they still have good players capable of achieving a top 7 but there really doesn't seem to be any significant signings or any real confidence in the management. Both clubs have a lot of deadwood and don't have the resources to make any sweeping changes. With either not being involved in the flagship European competitions (UEFA Conference League doesn't count) is actually a major blow to income because it affects how much you can spend in-line with the fair play rules. That's why Arsenal are still paying minuscule monthly fees and bank loans on players bought 2 years ago because they cannot pay in a lump sum, not because they can't afford it but because they will break the rules because their income is too low. 

Hopefully Spurs will be able to find some of their old form now they are away from Jose but I'm not sure if Nuno is the answer. Teams like Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool are just so far ahead it's ridiculous and others like Leicester have a far better foundation and financial basis to work from going forward. Europa League should be the target for both Arsenal and Spurs because it'll at least provide that crucial bit of income - neither club will want to end up middle of the road like Burnley, Wolves or Brighton.  

Hate to say it but Arsenal have already made some decent signings. Spurs look like they're in for some good transfers too. However Liverpool and Man City for me will be the two battling it out. Man United are still a bit off I think and Chelsea don't give me and confidence in their signings last summer. 

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Hate to say it but Arsenal have already made some decent signings. Spurs look like they're in for some good transfers too. However Liverpool and Man City for me will be the two battling it out. Man United are still a bit off I think and Chelsea don't give me and confidence in their signings last summer. 

My advice is to never say anything complimentary about the Arse, no good comes of it 😁 Mind you, I am a fan of Maddison so I hope he's injured a lot if he signs for them😉

I'm trying to stay away from NewsNow as most of it is fantasy and just annoying click bait. Especially around Kane. But anyway i saw Scarlett score against Leyton the other day and hope he continues to show he's going to be another good 'un.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

Chelsea with a full season under Tuchel will be very interesting - they were 2nd in the form table for the second half of the season since he took over bang on the midway point.  I think City will win it but I think Liverpool may have a mediocre top 4 finish that possibly sees Klopp leave and the ageing squad split.  

Is it just me or this year is definitely quieter all round on the transfer news. I think its not surprising as clubs are having to try and stay afloat after the pandemic in the main. Its funny cos I see my clubs fanbase eager to see people coming like every year without them realising we aren't made of money like virtually 95% of all other clubs out there!

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Is it just me or this year is definitely quieter all round on the transfer news. I think its not surprising as clubs are having to try and stay afloat after the pandemic in the main. Its funny cos I see my clubs fanbase eager to see people coming like every year without them realising we aren't made of money like virtually 95% of all other clubs out there!

Fair play rules are still in effect I think so with income down for most clubs, I think expenditure will be very minimal and any big signings will be done through new sponsorship deals or installments.  Most teams will probably see how things are shaping up in January and then next summer it should be business as usual assuming there are no more Covid restrictions enforced. 

The wage cap has also been lifted in the football league and already a few League One sides are spending a decent amount of money which is very risky but it's also a great time to buy your way into the Championship. 

12 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

So Lingard didn’t move to West Ham on a permanent deal then?

He wanted to stay at Man United to fight for his place. Ole said he was happy to keep him based on his performances last year which makes sense for them to give him a go as he was in the best 11 side for the whole of the PL in the second half of the season.

I can't believe Wayne Rooney phoned the police because he got caught with two women in a hotel and is moaning that he's been 'set up'! He's already got horrendous form for this behaviour so I don't know why this is any different. If anything, at least it's not with a granny hooker like it was before

45892917-9824241-image-a-19_162728037036