Football (Played with Feet)

Madjonny

Ancelotti returning to Real Madrid might start making it 'normal' for previous managers to return like Poch to Spurs - although it is a strange one, as he didn't win anything in the 5-6 years he was there and I thought Spurs fans were demanding more? I know you're abit more level headed Philly when you have a cuppa in your hand so not sure you think Spurs fans need to just be happy with what they've got?

Martinez for me isn't a great fit. I think the class of the Belgium is concealing what type of manager Martinez is...but then again he did win a trophy at Wigan (and then got them relegated at the same time 😄).

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

13 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Ancelotti returning to Real Madrid might start making it 'normal' for previous managers to return like Poch to Spurs - although it is a strange one, as he didn't win anything in the 5-6 years he was there and I thought Spurs fans were demanding more? I know you're abit more level headed Philly when you have a cuppa in your hand so not sure you think Spurs fans need to just be happy with what they've got?

Martinez for me isn't a great fit. I think the class of the Belgium is concealing what type of manager Martinez is...but then again he did win a trophy at Wigan (and then got them relegated at the same time 😄).

The Poch story is a distraction and I doubt it personally. But it was Levy that sacked him and nothing to do with the fans. 

The man got us to the Champions League final with limited resources. No new players for nearly two years. Let that sink in. 

Never mind the constant top fours and only a bizarre Leicester season and a crap game against Chelsea stopping a possible league title.

Whoever comes in better hit the ground running or they'll get Levy'd.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Poch to Spurs - although it is a strange one, as he didn't win anything in the 5-6 years he was there and I thought Spurs fans were demanding more?

I really like Poch and it was a shame to see him go especially under the circumstances he departed however he didn't win anything, he finished 3rd in a two horse race and failed to build after reaching the Champions League Final. I think Spurs were below mid-table when he departed and never looked like they'd get going that season under him.  Getting to the CL final was a remarkable achievement but it's not the tangible success that Spurs badly need. Getting consistent top 4 finishes was a fine and overlooked achievement though and that really bolstered the income although trophies is what really matters. 

Poch went to PSG where he was expected to win everything including the Champions League yet he failed to even win the League which is a personal humiliation for him. Suddenly his reputation is in tatters and Spurs are desperate - it's a good match getting them back together but I don't think it benefits anybody. Poch needs a new club with lowered expectations and Spurs need a clean break with an exciting and proven manager. I don't even think he could get Spurs a top 4 finish unless there is a radical injection of funds and some significant departures of players. 

I think it boils down to taking Spurs as far as he could and now his credibility will be scrutinised more having failed to win the French league.  

34 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I really like Poch and it was a shame to see him go especially under the circumstances he departed however he didn't win anything, he finished 3rd in a two horse race and failed to build after reaching the Champions League Final. I think Spurs were below mid-table when he departed and never looked like they'd get going that season under him.  Getting to the CL final was a remarkable achievement but it's not the tangible success that Spurs badly need. Getting consistent top 4 finishes was a fine and overlooked achievement though and that really bolstered the income although trophies is what really matters. 

Poch went to PSG where he was expected to win everything including the Champions League yet he failed to even win the League which is a personal humiliation for him. Suddenly his reputation is in tatters and Spurs are desperate - it's a good match getting them back together but I don't think it benefits anybody. Poch needs a new club with lowered expectations and Spurs need a clean break with an exciting and proven manager. I don't even think he could get Spurs a top 4 finish unless there is a radical injection of funds and some significant departures of players. 

I think it boils down to taking Spurs as far as he could and now his credibility will be scrutinised more having failed to win the French league.  

Totally disagree about his performance at Spurs. But then I remember all of the seasons and managers and bullshit since 1991 that made supporting Spurs a weight around my neck.

Poch was the best manager we've had in 30 years and wasn't supported by the guys with the money. PSG are another kettle of fish and their issues precede his time there.

I'd love silver but the football we played and the positions we found ourselves in are what made his reign special for me. He got us to finals but our golden cow striker didn't manage a single goal in any final he's been in.  

But again, I don't see him back right now.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

hhhmmm!!

_118780500_gettyimages-1232631629.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tottenham make contact with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte in their search for a new manager.

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

13 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

hhhmmm!!

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tottenham make contact with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte in their search for a new manager.

I have no idea how I feel about this.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

19 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

hhhmmm!!

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

He's a proven manager with plenty of domestic success and currently unattached so it's a great option. Martinez would be a cheap, unspectacular and safe appointment but from what I hear, the reception has been incredibly underwhelming within the club following his interview which was championed by the investment group leader rather (whoever that is) than Daniel Levy. I hear that Everton are interested in bringing him back too but they will first make an inquiry regarding the availability of Moyes at West Ham. The Martinez situation will also be plagued with tight timescales and red tape whereas Conte is readily available right off the bat. 

Unless suddenly out of nowhere Joe Lewis starts splashing the cash I don't get the Conte link.

He's leaving Inter, where he just won the title, because of lack of funds. 

I don't see it going well if he isn't backed financially and he won't come to a club selling their best player. It's a weird one.

From what I understand it was only PSG that stopped the return of Poch. So who knows, maybe a year down the line...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Conte might do well at Spurs, if you sell Kane then that money should go straight back into transfers....emphasis on should haha

I’ve heard rumours about Benitez going to Everton, not sure how the fans will feel about that one.

Apprently Man Utd have drawn up a list that contains no strikers, so we’ll see what happens there. I think we’re waiting for the chance to get Haaland next year.

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Unless suddenly out of nowhere Joe Lewis starts splashing the cash I don't get the Conte link.

He's leaving Inter, where he just won the title, because of lack of funds. 

I don't see it going well if he isn't backed financially and he won't come to a club selling their best player. It's a weird one.

From what I understand, he still has a residence in London and Spurs is still an attractive job and seeing that Conte needs one, it would make sense. It looks like Inter have some shitty Asian owners plus they and the rest of Serie A have been hit hard by the Pandemic so big names will likely depart the league altogether in the summer. Kane being sold may not be a big blow as long as there are guarantees that the money is invested back into rebuilding the squad. Chelsea lost Hazard, had a transfer embargo and then using that money, they bought 4 key players to win the Champions League and you feel Spurs are only a few players short of being right back up there in the league. Even with no lavish signings, Conte could probably turnaround their fortunes to a degree.

If the out of touch ENIC lot have their way then it'll be Martinez for mediocrity. Cheap appointment plus he wont be begging for funds or hounding the board. Spurs need someone like Conte to really shake up the club and shit up the board!  

Well, that went well!!

_118809280_tv067645365.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tottenham call off talks with Antonio Conte about becoming their next manager.

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Well, that went well!!

_118809280_tv067645365.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tottenham call off talks with Antonio Conte about becoming their next manager.

I also heard they were unwilling to extent the budget for his backroom staff who would be part of any appointment package. Looks like Spurs are going for a cheap season of mediocrity so Martinez will be the perfect fit. That's where my money is currently on 9/1 before Conte opened talks. Not sure why Poch would return especially if it's under weaker terms and more limited resources than before.

Third time lucky....must admit I’ve not heard of the bloke!

_118940013_gettyimages-1232862094.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tottenham are close to confirming former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca as their new manager.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:54 PM, Plumbers Crack said:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tottenham are close to confirming former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca as their new manager.

I'm in denial to be honest hoping it doesn't happen. But can't escape reality.

I'll try to keep an open mind and hope he does well but the whole business of getting a new manager has been dispiriting to be honest. 

We do need to get rid of some deadwood and I'd say the likes of Sissoko, Aurier and Lamela, maybe even Moura, will be moved on.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 6/15/2021 at 9:54 PM, Plumbers Crack said:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

I remember him playing for Juventus....only because i used to try and bag him on Championship Manager as a cheap buy! I just think Spurs need to be patient and realistic to where they are right now.

31 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I remember him playing for Juventus....only because i used to try and bag him on Championship Manager as a cheap buy! I just think Spurs need to be patient and realistic to where they are right now.

To Dare Is To Do. 

This is football me old mucker and there is no patience or realism, that's why we sacked Poch.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

How about Eddie Howe? Is he still available?

I'd take him for sure, not sure what he's doing though. I heard he turned down Celtic so maybe not currently with a club.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

14 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

How about Eddie Howe? Is he still available?

Great shout, just as long as Spurs are comfortable allowing him to bring in his methodology of working with him. I think thats why Celtic couldn't afford him in the end.