Things to do in GTA Online

Stretch616

As the online portion of this garden doesn't actually explain a fat lot I thought it would be good to have a point of reference to make sure we're getting the full experience.

Heists are unlocked by buying an apartment and doing the Lester introduction missions. Then you'll get intermittent phone calls from Lester asking you to go for a heist. As the heist leader you'll have to front the cash for the set up but you get to choose the cut for the final mission. Once a heist is completed it looks like it can be repeated as you wish

I'll update more when I've got a bit more time but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Feel free to put bits below and I'll update the op as I get chance

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, crispymorgan said:

Online seems to be brutal.  Meeting another random player (or greboth) results in an almost instant death.

Passive mode, passive mode and passive mode. If you ain't using it and you're bitching about being killed then I don't really know how else to help you!!

1 hour ago, Stretch616 said:

Passive mode, passive mode and passive mode. If you ain't using it and you're bitching about being killed then I don't really know how else to help you!!

And how to do this is by......?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

58 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

And how to do this is by......?

For some reason you had issues using the touch pad to bring up the little menu, in addition to only using your fists, which on me were actually quite effective:blink:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

*cracks knuckles*

Right, here we go:

First off, as the tall one says, different apartments offer different levels of heists. These are usually best done with mates as randoms in this game are generally completely devoid of any mental activity at all. When playing solo, I find doing the normal missions great fun if frustrating at times. These are found by going to the letters on the map, the first set are from Lamar and are highlighted on the map with a yellow Ld. The first will involve trying to start a war between two gangs by dressing up as the other gang and killing everyone. This take two teams of two and can be a bitch if you have idiots in matchmaking. That said, I find that the further I get in the story, the higher the players are and the more skill they seem to get so stick with it. These missions are usually great fun and rewarding, and are one offs, as opposed to the ones that have various stages which you trigger in your apartment. Definitely keep those for mates if you don't want to claw your eyeballs out. I find doing these open world missions to be the most rewarding as there's an actual story behind them and you can watch the game evolve as you go. Definitely my mode of choice at the moment. Heists, for the record, don't seem to follow any story, and nd are just random group activities.

Secondly, if you're a bit bored and don't have much time, hold down the touchpad and select "daily objectives". These are three things you can do each day to get XP and cash. They are all sorts of different things from losing a four star wanted level to taking a flying lesson, to finishing a round in a shooting range, to whatever. These are different every day and also different from player to player, so if you do yours, they'll be different to mine. Sometimes these are quick, sometimes they take ages (losing a four star wanted level took me about two hours to pull off, but now I know the tricks, it'll be much quicker next time). Also when roaming the world, you will occasionally find red circles on the map. These are random events and usually involve killing a load of gangsters. They're fairly easy, and will net you about £7.5k. There are loads more thing to do in the open world but I'll get to that eventually. 

The first thing you should do if you have a bit of cash is buy an apartment. This will be your base where you can store your cars and start heists. Based on the level of apartment, you can unlock different heists. I only have a high end apartment at this point so only have access to the high end stuff but from some reading the other tiers of apartments offer different tiers of heists. Once you have an apartment, it's time to find a ride. I went for something which is reasonably fast, can drive over almost anything and can take a battering. It's bright pink & purple and is nicknamed the Fagwagon. I'll post some pics up later. You can nick rides and keep them but be aware tha the high end stuff needs to be bought, you can't steal hypercars and store them as the game says they're too hot. Once you have a ride, go to Los Santos customs and stick a tracker and insurance on it. This means that if it gets nicked / destroyed, you can ring up the insurance company and they'll replace it at their yard, which will appear on the map. This is done by pressing up, going to contacts, and somewhere near the bottoms is Mors Mutual Insurance. Ring them up, wait for the menu in the top left of the screen to appear, and select your car. Then grab whatever wheels you can get your hands on and go get it. Whilst at Los Santos customs, also stick whatever else you want on it, the amount of customization in this game is ridiculous.

Once you have a ride, it's time to tool up. Go to an arms shop (little gun on the minimap) and buy your guns. Also buy some armour, buy the highest level you can and as many as you can (any spares you can carry will go into your inventory for later use, keep reading). You'll need the automatic pistol, an SMG, sniper when you unlock it and a homing rocket launcher (this will be your bread and butter until you're a bit more familiar with the game, it's basically a big FUCK OFF button to anyone harassing you). 

Once you've got a flat, a ride and some lead, it's time to venture out. As mentioned above you can do almost anything in this game, but the first things that will happen to you are many deaths. If someone keeps killing you over and over, you can ring lester and put a bounty on their head. Simply press up on the D pad, contacts, lester, wait for menu in top left, place bounty, select name, select amount, press X. Boom, you've now put a hit on someone. Later on in the game you can also hire a mugger to rob people, I've had this happen to me a few times, and this guy is relentless. He dies easily but has very handy situations. I got yanked out of a tank by one and he nicked the fucking thing! 

I'll leave it at that for now, but @GazzaGarratt, @Stretch616, you lot know what to do now. I can't be the only one tearing in to @Greboth all the time.

Any questions just ask. 

banlol.png

Nice one @Diddums. So I'll need to party up to get missions done first. I'll then have the money for an apartment and car.

Didn't know i had to get car insurance too, wtf?!

Are the normal missions from the story mode but with Online people/mode active at the same time?

10 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Nice one @Diddums. So I'll need to party up to get missions done first. I'll then have the money for an apartment and car.

Didn't know i had to get car insurance too, wtf?!

Are the normal missions from the story mode but with Online people/mode active at the same time?

I haven't played enough single player to comment on that but the jist I'm geting from reading around is no, these are their own thing. They're also very obviously designed for multiple players.

And @TigerBurge is a bender.

banlol.png

Single player is just that and separate it's just the story and you flick between the 3 characters sometimes in the same mission. It took me about a week to complete a few hours at a time.

I'm going to reload gta v as I'm picking up another ps4 this weekend, I'm at least going to do single player again and see what's changed with online as back when I was playing it it got real boring with lack of stuff to do.

The single player missions and the online missions never cross over.  Obviously though they are set in the same city and at the same time (I think from memory online is set at, or just before, the start of the offline story) so that is why you get missions from Lester, Trevor, Lamar etc.

As for partying up - if you either drive/walk in to a mission on the map it will load the lobby.  Alternatively, if you press option - online - jobs you can load any job up from there.  Once in the lobby, you sometimes will get put in to an existing one or be host and you can pick the options.  If you're host, you have options to invite players to the mission.  Some of these are handy options like party members or friends playing GTA.  If you are playing solo though you can auto invite or invite skill matched players which sends the invites to loads of random players.  As Diddums said though, be prepared to get very frustrated with randoms.

One thing on the property / garage front - It is worthwhile getting one as it opens up options such as the heists and ability to keep cars but you can own multiple properties (I assume you can also sell an old one if you want also) so it isn't necessary to instantly buy the most expensive/largest one.

Something to note too, you can sell 1 car per day at the custom shops.  Like owning cars, you can't just steal a high end car and sell it but any 'normal' car you can.  It doesn't net much, only a few k, but it is easy and quick money.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Can't deny - trying to play with friends is so fucking hard. It takes forever to get together, get in the right world, pick a mission, invite only. Then loading.

When you're finally in, great, but hell you waste a lot of time doing this.

On 05/03/2017 at 8:31 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Can't deny - trying to play with friends is so fucking hard. It takes forever to get together, get in the right world, pick a mission, invite only. Then loading.

When you're finally in, great, but hell you waste a lot of time doing this.

The more I play, the more I find the "quick ways" of doing stuff. There are many ways to fuck a cat in Gta and some of them are obtuse as hell, but others are then ridiculously simple. It's almost as if Rockstar streamlined the game over time but forgot to take out the old ways of doing stuff.

banlol.png