What are your top 3 movies of all time?

Real Steel

Big Hero 6

Avengers Endgame

I love loads of different films, including dark, intricate plots, etc...but feel good, easy to watch films will always be what I love. Watch them so many more times than the Oscar winning films.

Matrix is up there, and I actually think True Lies and the new Tetris is in the mix too.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1: The Boondock Saints

2: Batman (1989)

3: The Mummy

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

23 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Real Steel

Big Hero 6

Avengers Endgame

I love loads of different films, including dark, intricate plots, etc...but feel good, easy to watch films will always be what I love. Watch them so many more times than the Oscar winning films.

Matrix is up there, and I actually think True Lies and the new Tetris is in the mix too.

Real Steel makes me cry, every single time 

signatures small.jpg

23 hours ago, phil bottle said:

1. Porky's

2. Porky's 2

3. Porky's Revenge

Winner🤦😁

Couldn't really call 3 favourite as there's so many I can just rewatch but 3 that stand out

The prestige

Invincible

Avengement.

1. Gladiator

2. Pulp Fiction

3. The Silence of the Lambs

Honourable mention, Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers (Favourite Animated Film).

I also REALLY enjoyed watching Whiplash, As Good as It Gets, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape, again recently, but didn't think they quite had what it takes to make my list.

On 12/30/2023 at 1:22 PM, slamminbones said:

2.Blues brothers.

Never thought I'd see it in a top 3 but nice call out.  My brothers and I dressed as the Blues Brothers for Halloween one year back in the 90s.  The reverse backflip is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

5 hours ago, Lurchzy said:

Just picking three films I found is really hard. So many greats to pick from!

Also, I didn't want to pick LotR, SW or HP because I felt like that was kind of cheating, even though they are all amazing.

Would you really put Star Wars or Harry Potter up there? I really enjoy both franchises and their respective other content etc but in terms of actual 'films' I think both franchises are mediocre at best - I think the stories are interesting enough but the big win is the character buy in. And I don't mean execution, I mean we can all relate/empathise with Luke or Harry. However, the execution of those characters is rather clunky and hap hazard. 

If you think about Gladiator on your list, it is excellent on so many levels. Russel Crowe is stoic and firm, Joaqiun Phoenix is horrid and cruel. The story is compelling yet relatable. The sets are true to the time period and not over done. The costumes look realistic, the fighting is well choreographed and have great flow.....That is a high quality film with very few things to really criticise. Star Wars on the other hand starts with the shittiest hallway scene known to man (as proven by the do over in Rogue One) 😀

In fact, compare the opening scene in Gladiator to that of A New Hope or Scorcers Stone......wow.

signatures small.jpg

3 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

Would you really put Star Wars or Harry Potter up there? I really enjoy both franchises and their respective other content etc but in terms of actual 'films' I think both franchises are mediocre at best - I think the stories are interesting enough but the big win is the character buy in. And I don't mean execution, I mean we can all relate/empathise with Luke or Harry. However, the execution of those characters is rather clunky and hap hazard. 

If you think about Gladiator on your list, it is excellent on so many levels. Russel Crowe is stoic and firm, Joaqiun Phoenix is horrid and cruel. The story is compelling yet relatable. The sets are true to the time period and not over done. The costumes look realistic, the fighting is well choreographed and have great flow.....That is a high quality film with very few things to really criticise. Star Wars on the other hand starts with the shittiest hallway scene known to man (as proven by the do over in Rogue One) 😀

In fact, compare the opening scene in Gladiator to that of A New Hope or Scorcers Stone......wow.

Surely favourite doesn't necessarily mean best? I think just down to the amount of times I've watched them they should go down as some of my favourites.

Condensing it down to just 3 films is difficult and there are some great ones above. For me I have gone with -

Top Gun Maverick, I think this just pips the original for me as it just hits all the right feels

Ready player one - This is just a personal favourite of mine, I really loved the recent release of this.

And I am doing it, Star Wars the empire strikes back! I love the Star Wars Universe and have played most of the games etc. I think for me it was the world building that really does it for me for the series.

15 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

I am not sure how you can compare Star Wars with Gladiator if i'm being honest... Yes the characters could have been better in Star Wars and the story has probably been done before if you look back far enough but they are two entirely different films, set in entirely different locations, one being of fiction and one having history to utilise, one filmed 20 years after the other... Some of the creativity that went into those films, they probably pushed film making forwards faster than any other film (maybe with the exception of Avatar and it's use of CGI?), dykstraflex (one of the earliest forms of computer controlled camera's) was used on it, the films somewhat started off CGI as we know it with it's 3d Wireframe animation in fact even Return of the Jedi brought in THX which is one of the assurances for audio in cinema and we won't forget about the prelude to greenscreen (blue).

Gladiator is an immense film in it's own right but it's just a different kettle of fish in my eye's. A film is not just about the characters, it is about the audio, the visuals, the experience, it's why I love cinema (admittedly I don't get to go so often these days) but as much tech as you put in your own home it is difficult to recreate a cinema experience. Empire Strikes back made almost 25 times it's original budget back (22 million budget and brought in 549 million, compared to Gladiator which had a budget of 103 million and brought in 5 times at 503 million) so even from a success point of view the original Star Wars film was far more successful. Admittedly recent films and tv series have been somewhat hit and miss.

Some honorable mentions from me as well -

Braveheart

Master & commander

The patriot

Luseth.png

Ready Player One is in my top 5-10 films too @Luseth, it is really hard to pick just a top 3 given we can easily watch so many these days over and over 😄

@Middle Class Caveman, I'd actually put the last Harry Potter film up there. I think as the films went on, they got darker and bigger budgets. HP7 Part 2 is the main one we always go back and watch out of all of them.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

52 minutes ago, techno said:

I'm surprised not to see many marvel films mentioned here.

I'm happy however to say I've never watched a single harry potter film😁

Why would that make you happy?