Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard?

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I don't quite understand. The UK population is like 67 Million. How can the UK prevent a merger with two USA based companies?

I don't see why Microsoft simply doesn't tell the UK to suck it and don't buy our stuff if you don't like it.  Then tell them to go run Linux and google docs and see how long that lasts 

I've not checked the full ins and outs but the UK regulator the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said: "Activision is intertwined through different markets - it can't be separated for the UK. So this decision blocks the deal from happening globally."

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The deal has to be approved by the US, UK and Europe for it to work. 

It's like a jury or trial/investigation so to speak. 

If it's not unanimously decided the deal is off. 

Just because it's 2 American companies. Their products and services are consumed globally. 

It's like a fair trade kinda scenario. 

Unlawful monopoly of the market. 

It's the biggest gaming merge ever. 

To be honest I'm not the one deciding. 

I couldn't give 2 shits if it's a yay or nay. 

It's a huge deal and the future could be murky for many others if it goes ahead. 

Maybe in Europe and America you can throw wads of cash about to make things happen. 

The UK has concerns it said no. 

Note that Europe and US haven't put their conclusion forward. 

UK goes first and then will be made to look like backward thinking neanderthals. 

Not seeking any "progression" in technology. 

Plus who is this deal good for? 

The 2 companies in question. Not the average Joe or consumer. 

Just 2 big companies getting fatter and richer. 

The future is uncertain on their intentions after the merger went ahead. 

Who knows what they have planned for the next 5 years or beyond? 

I don't quite understand. The UK population is like 67 Million. How can the UK prevent a merger with two USA based companies?

I don't see why Microsoft simply doesn't tell the UK to suck it and don't buy our stuff if you don't like it.  Then tell them to go run Linux and google docs and see how long that lasts 

Because the UK is still a huge business of their commercial, educational and entertainment sectors and despite throwing a tantrum, they have to respect the legal ruling if they wish to operate within the region and they certainly aren't going to pull the plug of crucial services just because their merger was rejected at the first hurdle. American money and laws can't buy influence of rights in other countries like it used to. 

5 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Lol at Microsoft though, chucking their toys out the pram. Saying today this is going to hurt Britsin and they're going to focus more on business with the EU.

Oh well, seems you boys were greasing up the wrong palms 😅

They're appealing, but does look like this merger is dead and buried.

It's fucking hilarious because I've lost count of how many times the EU has taken legal action against American companies for breaching anti-trust and competition laws. I swear Apple and Spotify have been buttfucked all over Brussles in the last few years alone. Love seeing these capitalist corporations get schooled by basic laws. 

The merger is dumb anyway - two companies of this magnitude shouldn't be allowed to merge.  Doesn't benefit anyone but the money-men. There's not been one successful acquisition so far from Microsoft's recent aggression. It probably will go through with amendments in the end but anyone thinking this will radically change the world is beyond delusional.   

4 minutes ago, techno said:

In Nero's video he says that because we have said fuck no chances are the EU will follow suit.

One thing for sure if that whether the deal goes through or not, nothing with change with Activision or Call of Duty. Bobby Kotick will remain as CEO as already confirmed and no other infrastructural changes are expected either. 

5 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Because the UK is still a huge business of their commercial, educational and entertainment sectors and despite throwing a tantrum, they have to respect the legal ruling if they wish to operate within the region and they certainly aren't going to pull the plug of crucial services just because their merger was rejected at the first hurdle. American money and laws can't buy influence of rights in other countries like it used to. 

It's fucking hilarious because I've lost count of how many times the EU has taken legal action against American companies for breaching anti-trust and competition laws. I swear Apple and Spotify have been buttfucked all over Brussles in the last few years alone. Love seeing these capitalist corporations get schooled by basic laws. 

The merger is dumb anyway - two companies of this magnitude shouldn't be allowed to merge.  Doesn't benefit anyone but the money-men. There's not been one successful acquisition so far from Microsoft's recent aggression. It probably will go through with amendments in the end but anyone thinking this will radically change the world is beyond delusional.   

According to their revenue report the UK is 4.86B GBP which is about $6B USD. The profits are 168m GBP

Microsoft is a $198B dollar so the UK is about 3% of the revenue

Activision Gross profits were about  $5.3B last year which is more than  $5B  that of the UK profits

So I agree that the UK could tell them they cannot operate in the UK if they don't play ball. However it seems to me that MS should just tell the UK to suck it and they will go ahead without them. The Activision profits are almost the UK revenue so it would not be a lost of revenue for them. 

Then they can tell the UK to go find a substitute for MS Office, Outlook, teams, cloud .....  and wish them well in their future endevor

Maybe have a tea party in the Boston harbor for good measures 

16 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

American money and laws can't buy influence of rights in other countries like it used to. 

That said we are the UK and run by a corrupt shower of shite so I imagine they probably could buy influence here very easily....

I will be honest I could not care less whether it went through or not, our society is run by huge companies, turning them into mega huge companies wouldn't really change things for us. It might make it a bit better being on xbox as it will all come to game pass but aside from that it will be the same shite. That said look how Microsoft have run their own studios recent years (I mean Halo feels like it's dead, Gears of War is struggling, though Fable is coming back they ruined that.

Luseth.png

18 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

According to their revenue report the UK is 4.86B GBP which is about $6B USD. The profits are 168m GBP

Activision Gross profits were about  $5.3B last year which is more than  $5B  that of the UK profits

So I agree that the UK could tell them they cannot operate in the UK if they don't play ball. However it seems to me that MS should just tell the UK to suck it and they will go ahead without them. The Activision profits are almost the UK revenue so it would not be a lost of revenue for them. 

Then they can tell the UK to go find a substitute for MS Office, Outlook, teams, cloud .....  and wish them well in their future endevor

Microsoft are more than just Office, Outlook etc... This isn't 1994. 

They will not tell the UK to 'suck it' because places like hospitals, universities and other major companies including essential ones rely on such vital services. It would be astonishingly hypocritical if they even remotely took this line because MS are still trying to worm and maintain their way in certain Russian domains. Money isn't everything and the knock-on effect that removing such services would be absolutely catastrophic globally. Imagine seeing Cancer Research UK have their entire portfolio left in limbo or be lost because some American company had a hissy fit about not being able to buy another multi-billion dollar company ran by a pervert that employed perverts. 

The CMA's findings were perfectly legitimate and Microsoft have already delayed their final submission to the EU commission because it will not be even close to passing just like several other Amercian companies in recent years and these have to be respected. It's already embarrassing enough that Bill Gates's bum boy Brad has thrown his toys out of the pram in spectacularly ignorant fashion but now arrogant corporations are finding it much harder to buy their influence and presence all over the world and it's glorious to see.  The US Federal Trade Commission has already opened legal proceedings against the deal citing competition laws so for them to blame the UK solely when that lawsuit is not concluded, nor has the EU assessment been completed is just beyond stupid. They have much tougher hills to climb with the FTC and EU so if they can't convince the UK then the current deal will be dead in the water and they only have themselves to blame. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:34 PM, cyberninja2601 said:

It's not just about what MS products get used in the UK. The UK has a lot of power in the world and a lot of services and technologies are owned/run by the UK. The CMA ruling affects the whole world.

fart.gif

If Activision's appeal is unsuccessful against the CMA UK, they will have to wait 10 years to reapply! 🙂

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Time-out - Microsoft's effort to acquire Call of Duty publisher Activision Blizzard was already...

What's kind of ironic about the gamers and the gaming industry is that no one wants a power player to take advantage of the others (effectively become niche) and we all want crossplay but in reality what keeps the excitement going about games over the years has mainly been exclusive games that you can't get on other consoles or platforms.

I don't have a preference either way on the matter, and I don't talk much on here about backing exclusive games because I fear people here will just think thats me being naive, but in actual fact its looking at the bigger picture on games across the board. The more diluted and available games become, especially in a cloud environment, the connection and draw into top games will soon fade away. When that happens, effectively means we all accept lower standards in games (lower graphics, functions, gamemodes, etc) which effectively dominate the F2P market right now.

If the block keeps multiple console markets going in the long run, then I'd be happy with that. Crossplay should still be a thing btw, I just don't like the cloud rental game space.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

3 hours ago, James5497 said:

Personally I'm not unhappy about the CMA decision, it does seem like a monopoly move. From what I've read the CMA are just trying to prevent a superpower in cloud gaming.

It's understandable tho, Microsoft already have 60-70% of the market. 

With the acquisition of Activision/Blizzard it will enhance their chances of having more in the future. 

Now cloud gaming may or may not be the future. It could be 5, 10 years or more. 

But..... If it does go that way in the future. Do we really want one company 80+ or 90% of the ownership. 

There maybe no malice in it, but who knows future intentions. 

Having all that control gives them the chance to have complete monopoly. 

Also to dictate and choose what we play, how we play, where and when. 

And at what price? 

Even if they aren't evil, having the power gives them the chance to. 

I say nah fuck that..... 

7 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

It's understandable tho, Microsoft already have 60-70% of the market. 

With the acquisition of Activision/Blizzard it will enhance their chances of having more in the future. 

Now cloud gaming may or may not be the future. It could be 5, 10 years or more. 

But..... If it does go that way in the future. Do we really want one company 80+ or 90% of the ownership. 

There maybe no malice in it, but who knows future intentions. 

Having all that control gives them the chance to have complete monopoly. 

Also to dictate and choose what we play, how we play, where and when. 

And at what price? 

Even if they aren't evil, having the power gives them the chance to. 

I say nah fuck that..... 

Also the fact they are not willing to remove Bobby Kotick or any of the existing Activision board just shows it's all about the money and dominance and nothing for the gamer. They've done sod all to benefit Bethesda and all their other acquisitions in the last few years are just Game Pass fodder. The prospect of Activision operating under new ownership and vastly improved ethics was initially promising but as soon as they voted to retain Kotick and the rest just means the only tangible change his where the profits are funneled. Microsoft are clearly delighted with the way that company is currently ran despite condemning them weeks before they made their shock cut-price bid (what a funny coincidence) for their behaviour in the abuse/culture scandal. 

This is a deal simply to isolate Sony, capture another huge part of the current market, diminish Playstation's potential and cover all bases in the sector going forward. Maybe if they spent the last 15 years invested in building and growing studios like Sony have then they wouldn't have to throw around the cash to capture such talent for themselves. If they fail to get the deal over the line with the CMA, EU and FTC then it may not be a terrible thing or be all that noticeable. 

I guess will see this week what happens. It's being reported that the just Activision just might withdraw from the UK market and press ahead with the deal (as I said). The EU and others have approved the deal. 

MS is meeting with the UK chancellor. They already said we can withdraw from the UK or we can just go ahead and we will see you in court. Either one would seem to tell the CMA to "suck it".

I guess will see this week what happens. It's being reported that the just Activision just might withdraw from the UK market and press ahead with the deal (as I said). The EU and others have approved the deal. 

MS is meeting with the UK chancellor. They already said we can withdraw from the UK or we can just go ahead and we will see you in court. Either one would seem to tell the CMA to "suck it".

That's just a baseless threat from an immature corporation and would prove the CMA spot-on in part of their wider findings. The funny thing is that they are still being sued in the US by the FTC and had to make astonishing concessions just to get the EU in their pocket. No uproar about that but we all know why. As predicted, they are now playing the 'victim' card in a lame bid to get the deal over the line with the CMA and limit the amount of amendments they may have to make to do so. I'm surprised the chancellor is even entertaining this as other companies would not get such privileges but he'll no doubt get a nice backhander out of it. Other companies would've done a blanket appeal as is their right but as per, an American one resorts to blackmail. 

Microsoft are failing so hard with Xbox right now, any withdrawal of their services out of spite and disregard for law will be the final nail in their coffin in the gaming sector. The disrespect of local laws in domains they operate and other businesses is pretty disgusting but I'd expect nothing more from these politically connected American corporations.  

I did read about them potentially withdrawing from the UK. 

Sounds a bit childish to me, we don't agree with the merge put forward so just take everything away. 

Also sounds very drastic and desperate. 

Now the UK gaming scene has grown significantly in the last 10 years or so. 

Sure we aren't the biggest market. 

Countries like America and China are so much bigger in population. 

But the UK gamers really love their games. 

Everything Activision has done recently and in the past, (especially with Bobby still there) is shady and warrants an eye over proceedings. 

Probably plenty of investigations should be done on them.

Can't take it away from them, they created "The FPS" the one game every other rival in the market is jealous of. 

Doesn't make them an all bearing god. 

Although I'm a big Cod fan myself and play it plenty throughout the years. 

I find the way Activision go about things disgusting. 

Although agreed to be as successful as they are, you have to be relentless and brutal at times. 

Not in expense of your loyal fan base. 

Just like the merger, someone says no so just cut them off.

I'm more suspicious about this merger than ever before. 

The desperate need to make this happen on their behalf, just somewhat worries me of their future intentions. 

Sure make lots of money, that's what they are born to do. But what else? And at what cost? 

8 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

That's just a baseless threat from an immature corporation and would prove the CMA spot-on in part of their wider findings. The funny thing is that they are still being sued in the US by the FTC and had to make astonishing concessions just to get the EU in their pocket. No uproar about that but we all know why. As predicted, they are now playing the 'victim' card in a lame bid to get the deal over the line with the CMA and limit the amount of amendments they may have to make to do so. I'm surprised the chancellor is even entertaining this as other companies would not get such privileges but he'll no doubt get a nice backhander out of it. Other companies would've done a blanket appeal as is their right but as per, an American one resorts to blackmail. 

Microsoft are failing so hard with Xbox right now, any withdrawal of their services out of spite and disregard for law will be the final nail in their coffin in the gaming sector. The disrespect of local laws in domains they operate and other businesses is pretty disgusting but I'd expect nothing more from these politically connected American corporations.  

I happen to agree with the approach.  MS and Activision are are companies incorporated in the USA and follow USA law.  I wouldn't have a jurisdiction outside of where I am incorporated dictate what I can or cannot do as long as it does not brake any laws. So if the UK, Europe, China, Russia, Canada, Australia does not like what I am doing I can go sell my stuff somewhere else. 

Like I said before the UK revenue for MS is about what Activision contribute in profits alone. So financially having Activision and dropping the UK is a much better deal for MS. 

9 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I happen to agree with the approach.  MS and Activision are are companies incorporated in the USA and follow USA law.  I wouldn't have a jurisdiction outside of where I am incorporated dictate what I can or cannot do as long as it does not brake any laws. So if the UK, Europe, China, Russia, Canada, Australia does not like what I am doing I can go sell my stuff somewhere else. 

Like I said before the UK revenue for MS is about what Activision contribute in profits alone. So financially having Activision and dropping the UK is a much better deal for MS. 

I see this kind of thinking, it will come down to profits for Microsoft, whichever route makes them the most money, at the end of the day they are a business.

I suspect it will be a climbdown by the UK yet but they will find a way to get Microsoft to give some tiny concession i.e. a note at the end of the credits on each future call of duty game or something saft like that so we can go yeah we made them do this.

Luseth.png

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

I see this kind of thinking, it will come down to profits for Microsoft, whichever route makes them the most money, at the end of the day they are a business.

I suspect it will be a climbdown by the UK yet but they will find a way to get Microsoft to give some tiny concession i.e. a note at the end of the credits on each future call of duty game or something saft like that so we can go yeah we made them do this.

Every company in the USA has a Fiduciary responsibility to the share holders. So yeah it always comes down to profits.

23 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

The EU and others have approved the deal. 

And this is why the UK will back down and its a non-issue at the end of the day. UK are just trying to make a good business deal out of it, and now that this has happened, they won't be left on their own as they'll look like twats to the UK public that don't care about the ins and outs of the deal and just want to play their video games and use Windows on their PC.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

13 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

And when they operate abroad they have to follow laws in those external jurisdictions. They also cannot withdraw their services when they have legally binding commercial contracts in place and as I said earlier, it's not just about profits - Microsoft would probably lose 100x their UK revenue in overall value if they pulled a move like this as this would have a reaching knock-on effect to hospitals, education, military and other ethical services. Not even companies like Alphabet and Meta who have their on on-site lawyers full time in the UK High Court due to continual litigation have such disrespect from local judgements. If MS didn't bork their proposal then they wouldn't have egg on their face. They don't seem phased by the FTC which is far more significant but I'm sure they can buy their way out of that one. 

No way would Xbox lose an entire market either not in their fragile situation - in fact, Activision would probably be better off without Microsoft. This is a deal to benefit executives pockets only. The consumer and staff will experience no change whatsoever and if anything like we saw with Bethesda, the acquisition will have a far greater negative impact. It's not like either of these companies need the deal either - it's just a desperate attempt to chip away at Sony's dominance using money because MS have absolutely nothing else to offer other than a ever-stale game pass and Redfall.  

The deal will eventually go through as the CMA will buckle if they price is right with the chancellor or if they make some further amendments to get it over the line. The deal is absolutely nothing to celebrate for anyone other than the money men at MS and Activision. It's also put MS in an even worse light that what they are right now from a market player standpoint and just shows that corporate greed and blackmail is still rife within American companies. 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

And when they operate abroad they have to follow laws in those external jurisdictions. They also cannot withdraw their services when they have legally binding commercial contracts in place and as I said earlier, it's not just about profits - Microsoft would probably lose 100x their UK revenue in overall value if they pulled a move like this as this would have a reaching knock-on effect to hospitals, education, military and other ethical services. Not even companies like Alphabet and Meta who have their on on-site lawyers full time in the UK High Court due to continual litigation have such disrespect from local judgements. If MS didn't bork their proposal then they wouldn't have egg on their face. They don't seem phased by the FTC which is far more significant but I'm sure they can buy their way out of that one. 

No way would Xbox lose an entire market either not in their fragile situation - in fact, Activision would probably be better off without Microsoft. This is a deal to benefit executives pockets only. The consumer and staff will experience no change whatsoever and if anything like we saw with Bethesda, the acquisition will have a far greater negative impact. It's not like either of these companies need the deal either - it's just a desperate attempt to chip away at Sony's dominance using money because MS have absolutely nothing else to offer other than a ever-stale game pass and Redfall.  

The deal will eventually go through as the CMA will buckle if they price is right with the chancellor or if they make some further amendments to get it over the line. The deal is absolutely nothing to celebrate for anyone other than the money men at MS and Activision. It's also put MS in an even worse light that what they are right now from a market player standpoint and just shows that corporate greed and blackmail is still rife within American companies. 

MS does not need to be affect by this at all.

The option would be for Activision to exit the UK for another European country in a bid to remove itself from the CMA's jurisdiction. Its games could continue to be sold via a distributor. One rub is that any such decision must be taken by Activision to avoid breaching merger laws that stipulate that merging companies must be managed separately and independently until they actually close

So MS can continue to sell non XBOX products. XBOX products could be sold via distributors. 

Activision from now on makes the UK the villain in every game moving forward just for shits and giggles 🙂

59 minutes ago, cyberninja2601 said:

MS does not need to be affect by this at all.

The option would be for Activision to exit the UK for another European country in a bid to remove itself from the CMA's jurisdiction. Its games could continue to be sold via a distributor. One rub is that any such decision must be taken by Activision to avoid breaching merger laws that stipulate that merging companies must be managed separately and independently until they actually close

So MS can continue to sell non XBOX products. XBOX products could be sold via distributors. 

Activision from now on makes the UK the villain in every game moving forward just for shits and giggles 🙂

Where this may affect things is game pass, if Microsoft chooses to go down this route and sell Activision titles only by distributors it would mean that the UK could end up being the only country that COD does not come to game pass ^_^ Or at least that's what I read and tbh I would find that quite funny 😄

Luseth.png