Tom Clancy's XDefiant

J4MES OX4D

It's a miracle that Ubisoft haven't cancelled this one as they are culling at least one big project every 6 weeks these days! I hope it provides a decent alternative but I fear it's going to be DOA in this ultra-competitive space. Even Valorant is on the ropes after CS2's announcement and I can't see this one shaking up the sector too much especially rolling on such a dated engine. Still interested to see what they will present but with nearly 6 years of development under the hood, it's probably gonna release feeling fairly dated and lacking the wow factor. 

Definitely has come a long way but it's gonna be a very hard sell even being free. When CS2 has Valorant on strings then games like this really don't stand much of a chance especially with the other level of competition out there. I think the biggest mistake they made was involving Ubisoft factions which most people aren't as attached to as Ubisoft think especially when their iconic ones have been milked to death in other games like Siege whilst the original IP is totally neglected *cough Splinter Cell *cough *cough. 

Looks like the engine has been bolstered though which is good - looks way less clunky and floaty now. Hopefully it will play like Black Ops 2 but I'm hoping the gimmicks don't ruin it and that it gets old fast. First game in a long time that Ubisoft haven't cancelled.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, phil bottle said:

If its free I'll definitely give it a go. 

Same. And it will also keep expectations low if free too so good chance it will initially do well. For me, for it to last more than 2 weeks (especially with FG) it needs gamemodes and the ability to easily party up. Shooting may get old quickly though if its old school. If its like old CoD games, nostalgia is great...but usually for a few go's. You quickly realise it will miss alot of what current top FPS games have.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I'll stand by my previous "Not interested" statement.  I want my new Splinter Cell dag nab it!!!!!!!  🤪

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

14 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I've gotten PC access now, so I'll have a go once it installs...

Motherfucker! I've been hoping to get an invite as I want to try it but the person who claims "it's going to be shit" does get one 🤬

fart.gif

1 hour ago, MrBiron said:

Motherfucker! I've been hoping to get an invite as I want to try it but the person who claims "it's going to be shit" does get one 🤬

Not to worry, I played it past night. 

It's shit 🫡

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'll give it another go today, it might just be the PC version but too many frame drops and enemies taking a whole mag from my AR and turning around and one shotting me, for me to enjoy it. But it was late and I was tired so I'll hold back and play some more and see how it goes...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I'll give it another go today, it might just be the PC version but too many frame drops and enemies taking a whole mag from my AR and turning around and one shotting me, for me to enjoy it. But it was late and I was tired so I'll hold back and play some more and see how it goes...

They've said that the beta is running on old netcode. And at least this is an actual beta rather than a playable demo that we get with COD.

fart.gif

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

The Finals had similar issues and something like that could prove so pivotal, it could literally kill the game right from the off.  Players are less tolerant against this nowadays because of the competitive edge these games have plus there are several other smoother and responsive titles which are far more satisfying and fair to play. Even after Siege, Ubisoft don't really have a competent and/or proven engine that can support arcade-based FPS titles so I hope they can address any netcode woes before launch. Hopefully it's not tied heavily to the engine or users frame rates else it will be a disaster for the game.

@Noct Ryan was raving about this last night, I didn't know whether you could share anything yet @MrBiron if you had played it yet?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

A proper open beta is coming next week from June 21-23 and then the full release will be at the end of summer. No proper date yet. Smart move releasing before the next COD. 

I'll certainly be trying the beta next week. 

fart.gif

20 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Hows everyone found the beta on this?

I played a few games. Connection is all over the place. I can either kill people fine or I'm sinking loads of bullets into people and then dying. I've only had a few games so I might try it again tomorrow as the beta has been extended. When the game is working it's actually quite good fun.

fart.gif

I'm not gonna bother with the beta but I'll keep a close eye on things regardless. They really need to address any connection/netcode issues urgently because that could be a gamebreaker right off the bat. The Finals had similar issues - great game and concept but combat ruined by horseshit technical issues. They've gone back to the drawing board with that. This game needs to be ready to go before the next COD and offer ideally a nice alternative to Counter Strike 2 which is expected to be highly polished and fluid with significant new tech in play.  No release date here which is a worry and this beta phase cannot drag especially with glaring basic problems. The devs have worked to hard to fall at the first hurdle. 

Still no release and we're creeping into MW3 territory now. If they don't get it out within the next 2 weeks then the only viable release window would be around March to May next year. Not sure what's happened after the beta phase - everything has gone awfully quiet and news has stalled somewhat. Releasing it now and it could very well with DOA or on life support in 8 weeks time. They really should've got this out in July. 

Talk of the devil

WWW.IGN.COM

Ubisoft's XDefiant failed to pass certification for first party platforms and its release date has been pushed back.

Looks like they are aiming to release before Call of Duty if they can get it over the line with Xbox and Sony.