The Best Sporting Spectacle You Have Seen

LordBaguette

Just simple question what is the best sporting spectacle you have seen live, can’t be after it has happened, has to be as it happened at the time. On TV or in person 

Mine is the 2008 Wimbledon final. Was actually the first Wimbledon I ever watch properly and the Nadal Federer final for me is the best sporting event ever, so glad I saw it as it happened

cba

Hmm, that is hard.

Weirdly, one that sticks out is the Cricket World Cup final England vs New Zealand. Insane game. Scores level and tied at the very end, which is rare in itself but then the Super Over was effectively ending level too but England winning on countback for Wickets.

So many random things happened. Bear in mind our captain Stokes is a broken injured man through it all, and to top it all off, England actually ended up as the winner. I accidentally punched my ceiling jumping up in celebration 🤣

From just under 5 minutes, it is absolute carnage.

Forum Signature Test.png

Football? Oh go on then. There's so many, probably why we love the game so much.

But this following 2 minute montage just reminded how much I was so behind the England team in 2021. That was a magical day. A time where everyone doesn't believe we can beat big teams. That Southgate can't do it. That Kane can't do it.

What a day that was. I'm literally tearing up watching it all over again. And again. And again. This is what we live for. ❤️

Forum Signature Test.png

On 5/16/2024 at 12:23 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Football? Oh go on then. There's so many, probably why we love the game so much.

But this following 2 minute montage just reminded how much I was so behind the England team in 2021. That was a magical day. A time where everyone doesn't believe we can beat big teams. That Southgate can't do it. That Kane can't do it.

What a day that was. I'm literally tearing up watching it all over again. And again. And again. This is what we live for. ❤️

Never seen so many pints thrown in the air 😂

Apologies for the video quality but it was quite a while ago.

St Etienne had a certain Mr Platini playing for them. This was my first "European Tour" and it was almost a bucket list destination. That was after hearing the "Green Roar" against Liverpool FC on a tinny tranny in the '70's. The green roar was quite muted as the game went on and the home support melted away as the fourth goal went in 

IIRC the away support for that match was about 400. The coach trip was 18 hours each way with two drivers hot shopping. Despite all the fan problems of the time, there wasn't a single arrest at any of our EUFA Cup away games.

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Yes! The Holland 4-1 and Germany 5-1 destructions were incredible days for me too. I actually would add England 3-2 Argentina, which was a friendly but dictated who would be the higher seed at the World Cup and it was far from a friendly! I have both 5-1 Germany and 3-2 Argentina on DVD still as those games were that good.

Forum Signature Test.png

1999 champs final, Man Utd vs Bayern or England vs Australia 2003, when Wilko won it with that drop kick.

Either of them for me, hard to pick one tbh. They’ll only get beaten if England ever win anything at footie.

On 5/20/2024 at 1:30 PM, tronic44 said:

1999 champs final, Man Utd vs Bayern or England vs Australia 2003, when Wilko won it with that drop kick.

Either of them for me, hard to pick one tbh. They’ll only get beaten if England ever win anything at footie.

My step-dad still has a signed photo of Martin Johnson holding the trophy in the living room!

1 hour ago, ChaosGladiator said:

Norway beating Brazil in 98’. Last time we’ve even had a half decent tournament…

YES! That was a great game too. 

On 5/23/2024 at 11:42 AM, jordie1892 said:

Outside of football, I remember watching GB beating the Americans in the 2004 4x100m final felt very special when it happened.

This made me think of Super Saturday at the London Olympics. Some great scenes whilst watching this unfold through the whole day. Can't believe the whole event was 12 years ago 🤯

Forum Signature Test.png