Music of your teenage years

Luseth

My brother went to a gig last night and sent me a couple of videos of a band he saw, just so happens it is a band I used to listen to a lot when I was in my teenage years, obviously it got my reminiscing and I am sure at some point I will create a playlist dedicated to those years!

What I want to see from this thread, tell us what sort of music you are into today and then tell us what you were into in your rebellious years, let's see if you have changed and by how much 😄

My go to these day's tends to be country music (though I will listen to almost anything), I mean who doesn't love Shania Twain? 😄

My teenage years however was much more emo / metal, the band my brother saw last night was bullet for my valentine but I used to listen to a lot of Slipknot, system of a down, Tool,  Metallica and one of those groups that I was probably the only one of my friends list that knew of them, I loved Nightwish.

Luseth.png

I think my first cassette was Modern Talking 🙈🤣

Then later I got my head straightened and started listening to metal such as Accept, Metallica, Iron Maiden, WASP, Dio etc. Mid teens I added Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc to the list. Had some moments where I was into rap, like 2LiveCrew, RunDMC, 2Pac and the like. 

Much of this is still golden today. Still listen to AIC, PJ, Metallica and alot of rap. Added some more pop music on my older days though.

Surprise surprise I'll be in my rebellious days until I'm no longer walking this mortal coil.

This Mortal Coil is actually an old band, bit before my time though.

I listen to a lot of music, my go to genres being punk rock and reggae.

Didn't pay attention to music until I was 14 and a school mate introduced me to a load of bands. The lucky thing about being a teenager in London in the early 90s was the sheer amount and availability of live music.

I saw the Stone Roses in a pub in Islington, Happy Mondays and Primal Scream in a pub in Camden, all before they hit the big time. A Monday club night in London at Dingwalls used to let the first 50 people in for free and I'd go with my mates and manage to make a pint of lager last the whole night.

Jungle was big when I was a kid as well and I did like the jungle versions of old reggae songs. 

My tastes have always,been eclectic, though I generally hate swing beat and modern jazz, and and anything with voice modulation, I'll listen to most music.

First band I saw live was the Jesus and Mary Chain. They still get a play when I'm in the mood.

I could talk all day but regarding the OP, I listen to the same music I always have, the list just expands with time.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

A mate at work once told me that they did a study that showed you usually switch off to new music around the age of 33 and then start just going over your favourite music types and songs instead of listening to whats in the charts. I can definitely feel that although I do listen to new stuff from similar backgrounds as Spotify is good at linking to your favourite tunes.

@J4MES OX4D, I shit you not that was bang on in the start of my music journey, loved abit of Spice Girls! 🤣🤣 I used to listen to most stuff in the charts in the 90s and early 2000s which was quite eclectic ranging from Dance, Trance, Pop, R&B, Garage, Emo and some Indie.

Pop was my first enjoyment with many Now Thats What I Call Music compilations bought for me. I had a big R&B/Garage time when it hit the charts. Craig David probably being the standout one. Indie had 6-12 month spell with Razorlight, Editors and The Kooks all releasing really good albums. When I was old enough, I loved Trance. Barthezz, Mario Picotto, Paul Van Dyk and other DJs that mixed some great compilations like Ferry Corsten. 80's synth now lives with me alot because before a teenager i'd listen to my mums 80s tracks, which were ace. Lisa Stansfield, Soul 2 Soul, Bryan Adams, etc. I probably search for alot of 80's synth type tracks and find them more entertaining now than anything new these days!

One thing I would say is I struggle to listen to new songs that seem to all be Rap songs to an extent. They just don't seem to have a melodic tune to go with them, not like early Rap with Gangsta's Paradise and Set Adrift on Memory Bliss.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

When I was young it was just cheesy pop and chart stuff from the early-mid 90's.

When I was 15 I remember buying and getting into various different artists. 

Things like Eminem (Slim Shady Lp +Marshall Mathers) 

Also things like Limp Bizkit, KoRn, Greenday, Nirvana, The Offspring, Blink 182 etc amongst many others. 

Was listening to more Nu Metal when Linkin Park arrived. Also bands like ill nino, Deftones, American Head Charge, System of a down, Queens of the stone age, Incubus. 

I then Starting going more into Heavy metal/Classic rock/Thrash and heavier stuff. 

Was listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Deep purple, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pantera Sepultura, Soul Fly. Was probably about 17ish by this time (Almost 20 years ago, Circa 2003ish) 

I always had a thing for Funk and soul, blues, reggae, indie and many other genres and rap

I listened and enjoyed dance/electro/House some trance. 

Fat beats and DJs, but not happy hardcore. 

Just adding new artists over the years. My tastes are varied and vast. 

In the last 10 years or so I don't really listen to the heavier stuff, but still appreciate it. 

I will listen to most things apart from Chart pop and Country which I don't really enjoy what so ever. 

Exceptions being Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson. 

Don't mind Bluegrass or that, just not the typical country and western ting. 

My taste was very similar to Lee. I had a load of the "Now" cassettes and CDs which probably had 30 songs on them. Then Lee and I used to listen to the boy bands, Five, Backstreet Boys, Take that A1, Another level etc 🤣🤦

I loved Whitney Houston, Beautiful South and the Carpenters, mainly because my parents had those albums.

A guy at my work is well into his music and often sends me an artist to check out which is fun to do. The most recent artists being Caroline Polachek and The Electric Soft Parade

@Luseth It makes me wonder whether I bumped in to you at some point before FG but never knew about it.  My teenage years were very similar to you, including listening to Nightwish.  Though unlike you my tastes haven't wandered too far from the rock / metal genre in the 20+ years since given the next songs my current spotify playlist is Devil Driver, Metallica, Within Temptation, Slipknot, System of a Down, Offspring, Nightwish and Disturbed.  Though overall I'd say my tastes have moved more in the symphonic and power metal sub-genres over recent years.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

A mate at work once told me that they did a study that showed you usually switch off to new music around the age of 33 and then start just going over your favourite music types and songs instead of listening to whats in the charts. I can definitely feel that although I do listen to new stuff from similar backgrounds as Spotify is good at linking to your favourite tunes.

Some of us haven't listened to what was in the charts since more like 13 than 33 😄 It makes sense though as, probably easily in to your 20's, you're still developing your sense of self and by your 30's you'll probably have a good idea of what you like and don't.  I don't think my general tastes will change much for the rest of my life but still enjoy finding new bands to listen to in the metal genres as well as the odd one here and there so completely different too like acapella groups or Post modern jukebox.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

18 minutes ago, Greboth said:

@Luseth It makes me wonder whether I bumped in to you at some point before FG but never knew about it.  My teenage years were very similar to you, including listening to Nightwish.  Though unlike you my tastes haven't wandered too far from the rock / metal genre in the 20+ years since given the next songs my current spotify playlist is Devil Driver, Metallica, Within Temptation, Slipknot, System of a Down, Offspring, Nightwish and Disturbed.  Though overall I'd say my tastes have moved more in the symphonic and power metal sub-genres over recent years.

There is every possibility considering we don't live a million miles from one another, though my teenage years are a bit of a blur now from too many rather rough mosh pits (I am not sure why but every Tuesday I think? I went to Rock Cafe, Stourbridge if you know it and the mosh pits tended to be half the group just throwing punches at one another) 😅 I still enjoy a lot of the music, just have a broader taste now.

Luseth.png

Until middle school I was listening to what the radio played, Greek pop and other styles we have and "international" pop etc, that's what my parents liked, so I had no choice or exposure to any other genre since we only had a cassette player, but during my teenage years in middle school I started hearing on the radio and from classmates sometimes evanescence and Linkin Park and when I bought my first computer soon after I started downloading everything from them using emule and limewire, it's a wonder I didn't get a million viruses.

Then came System of a Down, I got into a bit of a hip-hop/rap phase cause of fast and furious and the need for speed games back then, but ultimately through friends and classmates I settled into rock/metal as my main genre. I still listen to all the aforementioned bands, but I also like arch enemy, blind guardian, bullet for my valentine, disturbed, epica, iron maiden, lacuna coil, machine head, nightwish, sabaton, slipknot and within temptation, I also like various pop songs, some rap/hip-hop, many Japanese songs from anime I have watched, some electronic, and I am always searching for new stuff but Linkin Park and evanescence will always have a special place in my heart

On 4/26/2023 at 11:45 PM, phil bottle said:

Not quite my teenage years, but I got a record player when I was 10/11 years old and this was the first 7inch I bought for it 🙂

This is the only Vinyl I own too! What a tune this is 😎

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

In my very early years I was tortured by my mothers taste in pop that was abba, cliff richard, Elton John and boyzone.

Fortunately my taste in my teenage years fell more in line with a particular forum plumber, getting into newer rock like oasis, blur, foo fighters, queens of the stage, offspring and muse, as well as a mix from other genres from reel big fish and less than jake, to eminem and dr dre and prodigy and fat boy slim.

Now it’s still pretty much rooted in rock music listening to new and older stuff from ACDC, led zeppelin, guns and roses to royal blood and kasabian, but most days rather than anything in particular I end up listening to whatever station is on the site radio whether that’s kisstory, absolute radio or planet rock.

My first foray into music when me and r kid got a record player was some donations from my uncle who had a music room so I got things such as Johnny kid and the pirates to Billy fury and even the chipmunks and Sarah brightman and hot gossip

..starship trooper. My first bought record was stand and deliver so my teenage years was the 80's so basically the best time for music😉. However after going throug the start of dance and techno I can listen to anything depending on mood or the amount of alcohol I've consumed even the stuff like the black veil brides and falling in reverse I have to put up with from the wife.

1 hour ago, thesaunderschild said:

It was Tears for Fears, and the likes of Paul Weller and OMD.

Alright sunshine, welcome to our little community 👊

We have an Introductions section, so why not pop along there and tell us all about yourself 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg