Virtual reality / Augmented reality

Luseth

Have any of you delved into it much?

I had a brief experience with the psvr when it first came out and I think I went in too hard and put myself off it, ultimately sold it and have not been back since.

However I got a deal on a refurbed Oculus Quest 2 the other day and my first impressions have been quite positive, a big improvement over PSVR, the controls are brilliant and it has additional features which are useful such as being able to double tap and see what's actually going on around you when needed etc.

I do need to work on my VR tolerance now so I am going to spend 10-20 minutes everyday if I can just having short experiences while I get comfortable but there are a number of games I want to try on it as well as wanting to try and model some architecture / building services in it as well (so try and explore the productivity side of things).

So yeah, has anyone else tried any of the headsets, what are your good / bad experiences?

Luseth.png

Had a go on Magic Leap a few years ago thanks to @tronic44

Absolutely amazing.

I get dizzy from PSVR but I'd have a go on Steam's VR set up as the higher refresh rate apparently mitigates the motion sickness. @Greboth can tell you better on that!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The PSVR was my first experience in to VR and it was great and it convinced me enough to go for a proper HMD.  Due to my large head and IPD my only choice was the Index, which if memory serves, is the same resolution as the Quest.  They're definitely a massive step up over the PSVR in both HMD quality and controllers.  I've only really played Half Life Alex on it and the rest of the time it's used for racing and rallying.  I do sometimes wish it would be more portable/wireless as it would have been great to take to Wales for example but the tracking accuracy and high refresh rate it hard to pass up.

As for good and bad, I can't say I've had any bad experiences with it and only got motion sickness a couple of times.  Though both were exception cases; doing corkscrew roles in No Mans Sky and using a 3rd person camera in ETS2.  Though it does vary person to person, my Dad has had a few goes with VR on my racing rig and after a few minutes has to stop.  Though I have read a number of people saying they've been able to build up a tolerance by playing a little each day until they can play for longer and longer.

As above, I bought mine with the almost sole intention of using it for racing which I think simulations are the best use for VR.  Though I know a few people who enjoy things like Beat Saber and games like Superhot in VR too.  There's a couple of of FPS games which look like fun but are apparently quite difficult.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

For me, VR just doesn't suit me. For some reason I feel like its extremely gimmicky for the price tag and the games you get with it just don't do much after the first 5 minutes of that 'wow' factor. Reminds me when 3D came out at the cinema. Great concept but never flies because everything is lost in the sub par graphics and basic movements you can only get with VR sticks.

I'm hopeful for PSVR2 though - more for my son who loves it. I personally think it hits a great spot for people with sensory needs. It can send feelings that their brain can feel extremely stimulated from.

AR is the thing that people have been saying for 4-5 years will be the dealbreaker. Remains to be seen clearly still, but I was definitely more blown away by the Magic Leap that Rich @tronic44 worked with than the PSVR.

Based on what people above like from VR, I think the games you enjoy are also a telling factor as to whether or not you'll get on with it yourself.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

For some reason I feel like its extremely gimmicky for the price tag and the games you get with it just don't do much after the first 5 minutes of that 'wow' factor.

I agree with you and I think that, much like many 3D films, many games do it as a gimmick or addon.  However a game like Alyx, much like Avatar for films, that is made specifically for VR then it can show off VR in it’s best light.

Though on second thoughts, I’d probably go for niche rather than gimmicky as the adjective of choice.  Which ties in to, as you said, the types of games people play.

Unlike 3D films though, VR seems to have more of a foot hold so maybe we’ll end up with Ready Player One and look back at this era as we do today to tiny black and white tv’s.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I gave the PSVR a go a few years back.  I wasn't all that impressed with it.  I think VR will eventually be a much bigger deal once the technology becomes much smaller rather then the big-ass headset required from the current crop.  I think most of the reason it's not as popular is due to the space, as well as the aforementioned headset.  

It's funny though, there is always something that takes a while to adopt with new innovations in gaming.  The analog stick, dual analog controls, motion controls, touch pad/touch screen controls, and such.  

Or maybe I'm just an old bastard that has a hard time with change.  LOL! 

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

VR is in a very dodgy position and has been for some time. It's not a pathetic fad like Kinect but many developers just don't have the experience or dev tools to make a game in this genre plus publishers are not too keen in taking a risk on something that may not make a substantial return, or one at all. Half Life Alyx has been a huge success and with the amount of Quest 2's selling, there is definitely a market and potential but still we are not seeing enough games that are a worthwhile purchase for what is essentially an expensive piece of kit. Barely an AAA publishers are biting either so the chances of more Alyx-type titles are going to be minimal and what may happen is that these devices are used for alternate experiences. 

Mark Cuckerberg hasn't helped either - his reality sector is hemorrhaging money on top of the humiliating Metaverse calamity which is further scaring off developers from entering this sector. Just goes to show that you can burn $20bn a year and end up with something less developed than VR Chat which is free and has been out for 5 years. If devs don't want to take advantage of the open goal Reality Labs have given then that sends out a damning message to the future of this kit in gaming. Maybe PSVR2 will help get things back on track but the first iteration didn't do much to bolster this domain.

If I picked up a VR set, I'd probably use it for 3 days and then it would be gathering dust in the box. No doubt it's an amazing concept but just isn't proven for gaming even with Valve's efforts. 

19 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

For me, VR just doesn't suit me. For some reason I feel like its extremely gimmicky for the price tag and the games you get with it just don't do much after the first 5 minutes of that 'wow' factor. Reminds me when 3D came out at the cinema

My mate spent £3750 on a 3D TV just over a decade ago and I went round his to watch some footie through Sky Sports3D and the stupid looking sunglasses! Whilst it was a unique experience for the first half, I just didn't see the point and couldn't imagine using that. Fad seemed to die out very quickly and once Sky binned it, that was it. Those TV's were then going for £500 in the bargain bin.