Microsoft confirm cross-play with Minecraft

GazzaGarratt

Not with Sony though. Haven't had chance to grab the details however Microsoft want to allow gamers on latest versions to play in the same worlds together.

They asked Sony, with the only details coming out so far is that they refused to be onboard with this stance.

Not sure how mods go though as of yet as that is pretty much a key USP for Minecraft (just see why we're all playing it now).

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

This is only on the new version that will be coming out soon.

This is not with old versions, or Modded versions

In a purely vanilla world, this can be awesome, the minute you mod though, consoles are out

I can see them fixing this in the future, but most likely not this year

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Random thought:

If we want to be more inclusive in this manner, we could. Our server would be reset, and updated to current versions. It would also be unmodded, but the option is there moving forward. 

There are a lot of really awesome options in the newer versions. 

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

14 minutes ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I'd rather hold to what we are doing.

Via the FG App

I agree Tommy

but I wanted to give the option so that folks that have it on other systems could also play with us.

39 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Random thought:

If we want to be more inclusive in this manner, we could. Our server would be reset, and updated to current versions. It would also be unmodded, but the option is there moving forward. 

There are a lot of really awesome options in the newer versions. 

Hmm. Good thinking on this one Bart.

Initially, I'm of the view of Tommy, only because we are just starting out and its amazing to see where it goes.

However, if we do get enough interest then we MUST (not should) look into it. This place has always been about being inclusive, sharing and enjoying gaming moments / experiences.

Interested to see what others say. Maybe we could have a 'modded' FG world i.e. this one, and then a cross-play FG world. Allows both types of players to experience to what suits them.

That would be my vote. What's everyone else think?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

We couldn't on the same server

It would have to be a different server. The cost of running it would be lower, and honestly I would use the same host as they are pretty good.

Personally IDC, but I don't know how much others would want this.

Someone should start a poll or something

Details on Cross play and the future of Minecraft:

Better Together Update

Today at E3 Mojang have announced the upcoming Better Together Update, this update unifies Minecraft in one version available on most platforms (excluding Java Minecraft which will continue to be supported as an independent version), known simply as "Minecraft" the new update will include some game-changing new features!

• Cross-platform play, play together with friends in Minecraft no matter what platform they're using.
  • In-game servers, available on all platforms Minecraft will have in-game servers you can join right from the menu. The servers available at launch include some of the most recognisable Minecraft servers: Lifeboat, Mineplex, InPVP, and Cubecraft.
  • Marketplace is available for Minecraft.
  • 4K HDR graphics which include "improved lighting, shadows, water effects... basically, it'll be like giving your eyes a luxury massage. This’ll be available to folks playing on Xbox One, Windows 10, iOS, mobile, and VR - essentially every platform that gets our Better Together update."
  • Pocket edition players will receive a free update as Pocket Edition will become Minecraft, and owners of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition and Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will receive the brand new Minecraft game for free.

This E3 we shared our plans to introduce the Better Together Update to unify console, mobile and Windows 10 versions of the game under a single edition. And that’s not all! This swish new version brings in-game multiplayer servers, an update to give your worlds a lick of graphical paint, and cross-platform support - letting console, Win 10 and mobile Minecrafters play together for the first time!

And PC Java edition players, don't worry, Mojang will continue to support the original version of the game:

So going forward, the edition you'll find on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, mobile and VR will simply be known as 'Minecraft', a separate entity from 'Minecraft: Java Edition', which is the original PC game (that we'll continue to support, of course).

I have been following this for months now, its been obvious that it was going to happen.

If you all have questions let me know. I have many concerns for this to be 100% honest, and I didn't expect this announcement to happen before Christmas. It is also making me rethink our server choices.

There are a lot of additions to the latest versions of minecraft, but very little mod support. That is about to change in a big way.

When Microsoft bought Mojangg, it was unclear what was going to happen, so mod authors stopped working on projects. Mod support in the form of Forge, Cauldron, Spigot, and Bukkit were still updated, but everything else died.

All of that is about to change.

We know Minecraft: Java will be around, the mod api should be coming out soon, which will make things easier.

That being said. Mojangg has added some amazing things to the last few iterations of minecraft. 

We all play on 1.7.10, the latest version is 1.12.

1.8 Update - http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bountiful_Update

1.9 Update - http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Combat_Update

1.10 Update - http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Frostburn_Update

1.11 Update - http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Exploration_Update

1.12 Update - http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/World_of_Color_Update

Things like eleytra's, shields, skulkers, concrete, etc all make the game far more interesting. But currently we would lose a bunch of mods, not all, but quite a few.

(Not to mention changes to recipes)

I can write up what we would lose as far as mods later if you all really want to have the conversation. Honestly speaking we are not far along in this world. It might feel that way to you all, but honestly we are not. 

I don't think I am accurately portraying the changes that have happened in the game.

If you really want to see how different it all is, go into the launcher and choose the latest version, make a world, and just explore the recipes and stuff

Almost ALL minecraft is free once you purchase it.

For this, yes it would be free.

Some mod authors have started charging for their mods, but they can eat a dick.

Everything I would do would be free. 

A few folks have asked privately for me to do a more thorough vetting, of all this and to properly write it all up.

The focus is to be more inclusive, with less of a massive learning curve, and with an eye on newer versions.

I will start that tonight.

9 hours ago, Sennex said:

A few folks have asked privately for me to do a more thorough vetting, of all this and to properly write it all up.

The focus is to be more inclusive, with less of a massive learning curve, and with an eye on newer versions.

I will start that tonight.

If we're going to end up resetting and starting fresh to be more inclusive and plan for future growth from forum members, then we should do it sooner than later.  It sucks to work on something to have it be wasted.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Personally, I haven't really done any research into the mods.  I've pretty much stuck to vanilla stuff.  I'm leaning more to using the latest version and scrapping the world, giving us the option to bring people in when cross play goes live.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

I agree a decision needs to be made quickly as, while in limbo, there is little point mining, building etc. if it is all going to get wiped.

A question for Bart and anyone else experienced with minecraft PC; The mods obviously add a lot to the game but, as i understand it, so do the standard updates. So, ignoring cross play for now, how does the modded game stack against the standard up to date game?  I can, and will try to, do some reading on it but hands on experience beats reading stuff on the internet.

Obviously cross play comes in to it but it doesn't seem worth having an updated version to have cross play if you sacrifice a lot loosing the mods.  Or visa versa, if the standard updated games adds a lot that the mods currently do then with cross play on top it becomes and easy choice.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I agree, if moving means we lose the mods then I'd prefer to stay as we are.
To be honest - and this just me being selfish - but right now I don't give two fucks for crossplay when we're all already playing it on PC.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It talks about Windows 10 and I'm running W8.1, does that mean I couldn't use this version? I don't want to upgrade Windows again

I'd say you'd need to change over to Win 10 Dave to access this.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I agree, if moving means we lose the mods then I'd prefer to stay as we are.
To be honest - and this just me being selfish - but right now I don't give two fucks for crossplay when we're all already playing it on PC.

I vote the same.

Plus I'd like to know soon as well as I already have a great wall built, it's huge, an amazingly beautiful wall.

Via the FG App

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE