Microsoft confirm cross-play with Minecraft

GazzaGarratt

I vote the same.

Plus I'd like to know soon as well as I already have a great wall built, it's huge, an amazingly beautiful wall.

Via the FG App

I'd say you'd need to change over to Win 10 Dave to access this.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Via the FG App

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

So I have actually been pretty swamped with work, school, and helping my wife get her business off the ground.

I will attempt to have a reasonable answer for you all in regards to the mods soon.

My goal here will be to make it more sustainable and easily upgradable(sp) for the future.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

It talks about Windows 10 and I'm running W8.1, does that mean I couldn't use this version? I don't want to upgrade Windows again

I think you will be fine to be honest. Java is pretty universal.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I vote the same.

Plus I'd like to know soon as well as I already have a great wall built, it's huge, an amazingly beautiful wall.

Via the FG App

I know someone with orange hair who might be in need of your wall building skillzzz [emoji4]

Via the FG App

Regarding windows 10, it depends how they do it as you need windows 10 for the xbox one cross play.

Hopefully it wont require W10 though as I'm still running 7.

Edit: Reading around, everywhere specifically says Windows 10 version.  So it looks like it will only be W10 that can cross play.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Regarding windows 10, it depends how they do it as you need windows 10 for the xbox one cross play.

Hopefully it wont require W10 though as I'm still running 7.

Edit: Reading around, everywhere specifically says Windows 10 version.  So it looks like it will only be W10 that can cross play.

Win 7 4Life

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Quick list of the Pro's and cons:

I tried to keep this really simple and straight forward

(I know you all will have questions. Post them up and I will explain what I can)

Pro’s

• Less intensive for player PC’s to run
  • Less Intensive for the server (potentially we could downgrade, but not sure we want to)
  • Easier crafting
  • Newer Recipes/ revised Recipes
  • Easier learning curve
  • Future updates will not cause the world to reset
  • More creative maps/ world options
  • Future updates will be able to be incorporated 
  • Resource world based off of the main world with better control of rare resource spawn
  • Far more stable

Neutral

• Changed Recipes

Cons

• Loss of complexity
  • Loss of all mods
  • Stuck in the current version
  • Loss Recipes/ revised Recipes
  • Loss of some customization that mods give
  • World Reset

Clearly, I have less to lose than others but after reading the above and the facts people have helpfully shared, this is about taking a pause and a stepback to see the bigger picture.

If an FG server is going places, which it is, and we want to share that with our children, wives and new players of all shapes and sizes, it needs to be sustainable and consistent throughout the journey.

To have longevity and build a growing place that can last continously through updates means I believe we need to look at the newer version.

I think Bart was right in the earlier posts that whilst we may feel we have some serious amount of work, I don't think we have even scratched the surface with this game. We've been playing for only a few weeks. Its not ideal, granted, but If you want a place here to grow and play with everyone together then it seems like this is the ideal path.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

6 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

If we changed does this mean we need to upgrade to Windows 10 to play on the server and text chat each other. Upgrading is something I really, really, really, really dont want to do. Full stop. Period

I'm not upgrading Dave, so no need to worry I don't believe.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

25 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

If we changed does this mean we need to upgrade to Windows 10 to play on the server and text chat each other. Upgrading is something I really, really, really, really dont want to do. Full stop. Period

I don't believe so

Easiest way to test is to go into the minecraft launcher and tell it that you want to play the "Latest Version"

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think Bart was right in the earlier posts that whilst we may feel we have some serious amount of work, I don't think we have even scratched the surface with this game. We've been playing for only a few weeks. Its not ideal, granted, but If you want a place here to grow and play with everyone together then it seems like this is the ideal path.

This is true. If you haven't touched the mods, then you don't really lose anything.

1 hour ago, Sennex said:

I don't believe so

Easiest way to test is to go into the minecraft launcher and tell it that you want to play the "Latest Version"

That doesn't work though, the better together update is coming out later this year so playing the latest version now doesn't prove anything.  In fact all articles I can find only mention Windows 10 with some specifically highlighting that the only supported devices are Windows 10, Xbox One, Switch etc.  This could be Microsofts announcement being rubbish but equally, through Xbox One games only being playable on Windows 10, it could mean that cross play is going to be limited to Windows 10.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go back to Vanilla Minecraft in preparation, just to accept that even if we do, we may not see cross play working.  Or we go full up to date with better together and stop some people playing together.

Well, you all stated you didn't care about cross play. My answer wasn't pointed towards that, it was more so to have him test out if he CAN run the latest versions.

Cross play doesn't change the discussion, it was simply the catalyst that brought it forward.

We all play Minecraft Java version, thats all any of us will ever play most likely

I'll try to remember to give it a go in the next day or two :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

edit: I don't mind which version I'm playing as long as it's stable and you guys can fix it if I break it...

"Minecraft technical support, you thro to Bart, How can I help you today and have you tried turning it off and on again?" :lol::lol:

41 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Well, you all stated you didn't care about cross play. My answer wasn't pointed towards that, it was more so to have him test out if he CAN run the latest versions.

Cross play doesn't change the discussion, it was simply the catalyst that brought it forward.

We all play Minecraft Java version, thats all any of us will ever play most likely

Sorry, I'm confused now.  I thought the whole discussion started because of cross play with the proposed changed happening because of wanting to have cross play.  Therefore surely the discussion has to include if we will be able to play the cross play version.

7 hours ago, Greboth said:

I agree a decision needs to be made quickly as, while in limbo, there is little point mining, building etc. if it is all going to get wiped.

A question for Bart and anyone else experienced with minecraft PC; The mods obviously add a lot to the game but, as i understand it, so do the standard updates. So, ignoring cross play for now, how does the modded game stack against the standard up to date game?  I can, and will try to, do some reading on it but hands on experience beats reading stuff on the internet.

Obviously cross play comes in to it but it doesn't seem worth having an updated version to have cross play if you sacrifice a lot loosing the mods.  Or visa versa, if the standard updated games adds a lot that the mods currently do then with cross play on top it becomes and easy choice.

I started ignoring Cross Play when you made this post, and others pointed out that none of us play on Xbox.

It didnt' change the discussion though, or the drive to be more inclusive to others with less robust systems, are new to the game, or would rather not have to deal with mods (installing them, maintaining them, etc.)

If it's any help, the poll has two Cross Play options but the current leader on 70+% is keeping it as it is....that's 5 of 7 votes. I believe we currently have 9 players (8 on the top of the user name thread plus Marina) however I think there may be a general "whatever Bart feels works best and is easiest for him" vibe which I would subscribe to as well 

I can see where that would be confusing

I haven't looked at the results or anything, I was asked by folks, so tried to provide feedback