Doom 4

techno

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this for sure! Doom is an iconic series and hopefully this will make a great casual arena shooter like the old days of UT and Q3.

Same as that. Fond memories of unreal tournament back in the mists of time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Just like Wolfenstein and Quake, I always end up playing Doom at some point. So while I wouldn't necessarily say I am excited for it, I will totally end up renting it for a weekend, playing it nonstop and having a decent time. (although the last Wolfenstein I didn't enjoy now that I think about it)

These games are so basic and they don't try to really be anything other than what they pretend to be, it is actually refreshing for me as a gamer.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Loved Doom 3 and its co-op mode. As Bart says, pretty basic but gets the fundamental FPS stuff nailed on. MP looks like it will be cool too. It would actually be great fun to make a Doom FG Map for all.

Oh, and beta starts 1st April. I got a code with Wolfenstein - you'll probably be able to find others somewhere online.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Played a handful of matches so far and the game seems pretty good fun albeit getting slaughtered by the developers in a couple of the TDM games! Certainly has the hallmarks of the classic games such as UT and Quake 3. It's fast paced and the few guns are great to use. Not sure how it will fare in the long run but seems great as a casual title that you could probably hop in and out of.

In terms of the alternatives; you have the new Unreal Tournament which is free to play right now in development and looking very good plus Overwatch is coming out late May also and although this doesn't have a campaign; the multiplayer has considerable variety and depth. If I had to choose one going forward; it would probably be Overwatch although Doom seems a good FPS alternative and more laid-back despite the brutality and pace. 

I had fun in the closed beta but wont be participating in the open beta or even buying the game I don't think. I did have fun in the small time I played but there were probably just too many fundamental flaws in the game for an arena shooter. Create a class and perks is a stupid implementation and limiting the player to two guns per class in a loadout is just plain bad game design from a team that want to capture the classic hallmarks of the genre. Every match, players should start barebones and then learn the maps and weapon spawns so they can use a variety of weapons and each character is essentially the same. Making it class-based is just typical modern day FPS styling which isn't suited to this type of game and no weapon spawns is just unforgivable. Perks which include x-ray vision is just the ultimate killer. The Rune is so OP too that it can decide matches right from the start too. 

I bet most of the people in the team that made this weren't even old enough to remember the proper arena shooter days and instead; they are going off of games like Call of Duty and Halo. Big mistake. 

I'll only buy this in the Steam Sale for £15 or so for the campaign and that's it. 

I won't be buying this at all after what I played this weekend.

If bloody gore riddled Halo is your thing though, then you will enjoy the shit out of this

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I rented it a few weeks ago, and it wasn't bad.

A shade annoying in spots, Its a solid $15 game, more than that and I would skip it. 

Best single player campaign I've played in years. So glad I picked this up in the sale! 

It makes such a change playing an FPS with smart level design, great AI and just simply enjoyable gameplay that is fast paced and relentless fun. I forgot games like this could exist as I'm so used to generic and linear shooters these days with bland combat, checkpoints galore and tiresome cliches. Doom modernises a classic and retains all the core qualities that made the originals so good! 

Best single player campaign I've played in years. So glad I picked this up in the sale!

It makes such a change playing an FPS with smart level design, great AI and just simply enjoyable gameplay that is fast paced and relentless fun. I forgot games like this could exist as I'm so used to generic and linear shooters these days with bland combat, checkpoints galore and tiresome cliches. Doom modernises a classic and retains all the core qualities that made the originals so good!

Doom has always had great campaign modes. So frickin enjoyable and jump out of your seat mode most of the journey.

Think I overlooked this due to the amount of social gaming I do now as MR wasn't massively enjoyable for me on the Beta.

Have you tried creating your own level yet?

They have now confirmed that a Score Attack mode is going to available soon, part of a free update to players so there is more replayability with the campaign mode. Its nice to see adaptations being made to a campaign mode rather than just tweak their PvP side of things.