Black Ops 6

MW recent CoDs have been some of the better ones in the franchise so I hope they can bring this back and make it worthwhile. I've not seen anything on this one though to tempt me like MW2 and MW3 did.

Forum Signature Test.png

Confirmed for Game Pass day one. This may seem a good deal initially for the consumer but the loss of retail sales could see more aggressive monetisation in play down the line. Also people likely aren't going to keep rolling monthly subscriptions just to play this long term.  It may get an early spike at the crippling detriment of other games on the pass but it will never be as viable as it would be just plain selling the game. They could sell 5m copies through their store at $70 a pop making a tidy $350m gross on digital alone or they could have 8m people playing via the pass and if they game gets a cut of $2 per install then it'll net just $16m. The volume of users will also detract from other games and cut-potential so they will throw their other products available on the pass under the bus for a period. 

Definitely one last throw of the dice of desperation for Microsoft and a borderline nuclear option for the pass. Either way, it's not going to make the revenues needed to claw back their disastrous takeover and the pass isn't going to get anywhere near the quantity of players needed to justify its existence from a business and conceptual standpoint. It's a lose lose situation for MS and their partners alike but it could be a short term win for a minority who just want to play the game for a few weeks or experience the campaign.  

TH55kuofHyc9xsyfgKTavN-650-80.jpg.webp

Cod will never return to it's glory years things have moved on unfortunately, I'd be surprised if it's anything but another reskin of what we've had over the last couple of years, same engine, seasons, monetisation etc. 

On 5/29/2024 at 4:57 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

Confirmed for Game Pass day one. This may seem a good deal initially for the consumer but the loss of retail sales could see more aggressive monetisation in play down the line. Also people likely aren't going to keep rolling monthly subscriptions just to play this long term.  It may get an early spike at the crippling detriment of other games on the pass but it will never be as viable as it would be just plain selling the game. They could sell 5m copies through their store at $70 a pop making a tidy $350m gross on digital alone or they could have 8m people playing via the pass and if they game gets a cut of $2 per install then it'll net just $16m. The volume of users will also detract from other games and cut-potential so they will throw their other products available on the pass under the bus for a period. 

Definitely one last throw of the dice of desperation for Microsoft and a borderline nuclear option for the pass. Either way, it's not going to make the revenues needed to claw back their disastrous takeover and the pass isn't going to get anywhere near the quantity of players needed to justify its existence from a business and conceptual standpoint. It's a lose lose situation for MS and their partners alike but it could be a short term win for a minority who just want to play the game for a few weeks or experience the campaign.  

TH55kuofHyc9xsyfgKTavN-650-80.jpg.webp

Or maybe this a way to hide the disaster that was the last black ops cold war.  They figure if they give it away as part of game pass no one can see the sales figure. Knowing that it's a "cold war" Cod is already a pass for me. They never ran well and I never did enjoy them the way I do the MW ones

8 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Or maybe this a way to hide the disaster that was the last black ops cold war.  They figure if they give it away as part of game pass no one can see the sales figure. Knowing that it's a "cold war" Cod is already a pass for me. They never ran well and I never did enjoy them the way I do the MW ones

They've spent the last decade covering up negatives attributed to active players and total unit sales and as they've got this down to a tee, I can't see them needing to do it again.  I reckon they (Microsoft) are simply willing to take a monumental financial hit at launch in a bid to prop up game pass figures and then bleed what players are left even harder down the line to recoup any lost revenue.  No matter how many more sign up to the pass just for this game, it wouldn't come anywhere close to had those prospective players bought it outright. They can also play the 'we have 25m players' card even thought they just count people who try the game once and aren't considered active players.

I can see it going the same way as Starfield especially in terms in it failing to grow the pass and instead having existing pass holders getting a free ride. Bethesda thought they could get 100m users on board across 1bn devices and in the end they got about 10m players and new game pass subscriptions practically flatlined. Microsoft will need about 220m game pass subscribers every time they plug an in-house AAA title yet I don't think they've reached 40m yet and like the Epic Game Store, it ain't growing. 

Black Ops 6 is more a Gulf War game so it may have more modern elements and there's rumoured to be a mission surrounding 9/11 so the early 90's to 00's could very well be the setting. 

On 6/4/2024 at 5:25 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

They've spent the last decade covering up negatives attributed to active players and total unit sales and as they've got this down to a tee, I can't see them needing to do it again.  I reckon they (Microsoft) are simply willing to take a monumental financial hit at launch in a bid to prop up game pass figures and then bleed what players are left even harder down the line to recoup any lost revenue.  No matter how many more sign up to the pass just for this game, it wouldn't come anywhere close to had those prospective players bought it outright. They can also play the 'we have 25m players' card even thought they just count people who try the game once and aren't considered active players.

I can see it going the same way as Starfield especially in terms in it failing to grow the pass and instead having existing pass holders getting a free ride. Bethesda thought they could get 100m users on board across 1bn devices and in the end they got about 10m players and new game pass subscriptions practically flatlined. Microsoft will need about 220m game pass subscribers every time they plug an in-house AAA title yet I don't think they've reached 40m yet and like the Epic Game Store, it ain't growing. 

Black Ops 6 is more a Gulf War game so it may have more modern elements and there's rumoured to be a mission surrounding 9/11 so the early 90's to 00's could very well be the setting. 

You don't seem to be factoring skins and passes. At $29 for a stupid skin or $40 for a battlepass 6 times a year, you can give the game away and still make money. The number of skins I run into playing tells me that plenty of people are willing to shell out money for cosmetics. I got to admit that "teletubies" skin is pretty enticing. Shoot Nicki Minaj or Snoop in the face and then get to tea bag them as Grimace/Teletubies it totally worth the $30

21 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

You don't seem to be factoring skins and passes. At $29 for a stupid skin or $40 for a battlepass 6 times a year, you can give the game away and still make money. The number of skins I run into playing tells me that plenty of people are willing to shell out money for cosmetics. I got to admit that "teletubies" skin is pretty enticing. Shoot Nicki Minaj or Snoop in the face and then get to tea bag them as Grimace/Teletubies it totally worth the $30

My point is they will need to claw back the deficit on revenue of unit sales lost from players choosing the pass instead of paying full whack. So instead of getting $70 for a sale, they may get $1 for an install. That's probably another three extra bundles they'll factor in just to mitigate the difference there. Then will also need to reassure the shareholders that the product will make even more money than the previous outings especially with a racially new business model so I'd expect even more content padding thrown in for good measure. 

Not only that, they have paid off Bobby about $300,000,000 and they somehow need to start chipping away at the $70bn they blew on the merger. So sure, they could probably even afford to pay people $70 to play the game and still make billions but that isn't going to claw back the money lost at retail. Even though Microsoft print money for fun, the recent brutal layoffs, sweeping cut-backs and dismal growth numbers of their gaming division still demonstrate its ran as a typical business so it will be very interesting to see how this change will impact each aspect. Losing potentially $1bn at retail right off the bat is not a good start.