Cycling - New Bike

Lurchzy

I cycle to work and decided to get a new bike (Dual Sport 2). Wondering if anyone else cycles much and if so if they have any suggestions on additions I could make to the new bike?

Decided to go with a gravel bike to help with road and shortcut routes rather than going with one or the other. 

None the less, look forward to it! 

DualSport2_21_32889_A_Portrait.jpeg

I'd probably go for a gravel bike too if I was biking to work...although I never they had names these days!

@phil bottle is your man with bikes but also @Mikepjbell  because he used to sell them...not sure if he still does??

I suppose they might want to know if you intend to use it for other things or just going to work and back?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

My last couple of bikes have both been Specialized and my current one has lasted around 10 years, which is a miracle in London.

You might appreciate mud guards in wet weather, though I don't bother personally, as I tend to cycle in shorts and pack work clothes in my bike bag. Including spare pants 🤗

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Interesting looking hybrid!

Things to consider:

- Get a saddle bag, always handy to hold a spare tube

- Make sure you have a pump which will pump up a schrader valve

- Enjoy it, keep it clean, keep it well lubed

Cleaning: Fine to use fairy liquid and warm water. Then rinse with normal water.

Lubrication: Small moving parts - buy some GT85 and spray in small amounts to prevent rust. Large parts get some good quality Muk-off grease.

Make sure you don't get any lubricants on those discs though!! If you do then you'll just need some alcohol rub to keep them clean.

Also, I have a bee on my bonnet about saddle height. Don't make your saddle too high, when you extend your leg on the pedal your heel should be able to reach the pedal. Seat posts which are too high cause feet, leg, hip, back, everything pain.

Other than that, ride it like you stole it!

Nice looking bike. I bike a lot during the spring/summer just for staying in shape a bit. Prob do around 25-35 miles per week, nothing crazy but enough to keep the blood flowing since I'm almost 50 yrs old now. Mine isn't anything special, just a standard dept store $200 no name, I put some Kevlar tires/tubes on it as well as a few things like upgraded seat and speedo/lights etc. One of these days I'm like to get a nicer one like a Trek or something like you have.

9 hours ago, G_dub52 said:

fit an engine bro 🤙

@G_dub52  

Haha hope you're referring to the Furze video 😂😂 crazy stuff! 

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'd probably go for a gravel bike too if I was biking to work...although I never they had names these days!

@phil bottle is your man with bikes but also @Mikepjbell  because he used to sell them...not sure if he still does??

I suppose they might want to know if you intend to use it for other things or just going to work and back?

@GazzaGarratt 

Appreciate the shout out hahaha, always good to know who to ask if you get in trouble.

I'm sure we could set up a camping trip and take the bikes one day! 

3 hours ago, Mikepjbell said:

Things to consider:

Cleaning: Fine to use fairy liquid and warm water. Then rinse with normal water.

Lubrication: Small moving parts - buy some GT85 and spray in small amounts to prevent rust. Large parts get some good quality Muk-off grease.

Make sure you don't get any lubricants on those discs though!! If you do then you'll just need some alcohol rub to keep them clean.

Also, I have a bee on my bonnet about saddle height. Don't make your saddle too high, when you extend your leg on the pedal your heel should be able to reach the pedal. Seat posts which are too high cause feet, leg, hip, back, everything pain.

Other than that, ride it like you stole it!

@Mikepjbell

I appreciate all the help! Didn't even know what a 'schrader' valve was hahaha. 

Will admit I'm going to try my hardest to keep this one in good nick, find bikes are getting a lot more expensive if you want something reliable. Might give me more motivation to put the effort into it! 

Will definitely look into getting the suggested! However don't blame me if I come crawling back for more advice 😂

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

Nice looking bike. I bike a lot during the spring/summer just for staying in shape a bit. Prob do around 25-35 miles per week, nothing crazy but enough to keep the blood flowing since I'm almost 50 yrs old now. Mine isn't anything special, just a standard dept store $200 no name, I put some Kevlar tires/tubes on it as well as a few things like upgraded seat and speedo/lights etc. One of these days I'm like to get a nicer one like a Trek or something like you have.

@Drifter

Hey unless you're going to ride it religiously like myself something nice a cheerful will do the trick! 

Nice to know you invested in it, could always make it a project?

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

My last couple of bikes have both been Specialized and my current one has lasted around 10 years, which is a miracle in London.

You might appreciate mud guards in wet weather, though I don't bother personally, as I tend to cycle in shorts and pack work clothes in my bike bag. Including spare pants 🤗

@phil bottle

Specialized bikes are beauties, just slightly out of my price range I think though! Nice you've got that much ride out of it. 

Think mud guards and a rear rack bag might be the way to go to get started then! Appreciate the advice. 

On 11/4/2021 at 3:04 AM, Mikepjbell said:

Things to consider:

Other than that, ride it like you stole the Tomasso!

Great advice about the saddle! This thing is very important for comfort ride. For several years I rode on a high saddle, and I thought that it should be so! ..