[SPOILERS] Destiny 2 Beta

The3rdWalker

For them to put a search and destroy mode into Destiny 2 was a solid move. As strictly a viewer, the game appears it could have just be another part of Destiny rather than a sequel. Looking forward to playing it first hand before passing judgement on it. However, Destiny has some of the best gun play of any modern FPS so there isn't really too much of a reason to change a winning formula. Story seemed to be present at the very start of Destiny 2 so that's a big improvement. Hopefully Luke Smith doesn't shit his pants like he did over the past two years and we get some solid raids. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Well overall i'm really disappointed.......in myself because i like this game :lol:

Played a bit earlier with Bob and Charlie and i must admit i actually had fun. 

The two things i don't like are the jumping, wtf just let me boost,i don't want to hover. And the inability to turn whilst running, i'm sure there's a way of getting used to it but i'd rather moan about it :lol:

4 hours ago, Baabcat said:

Lee, slightly unimpressed in that ' fully expect to put thousands of hours into this game' kinda way

Just the bullet sponge boss was a disappointment is all. My comments on countdown don't outweigh my joy on having SnD in D2

2 hours ago, Greboth said:

Oh god! We're going to have Lee going off with GGFGSnDD2 :lol: 

I didn't make it on last night to try the strike but hopefully tonight I will.  It's a shame to hear that they're sticking with bullet sponge boss' but on the other hand I can't think of a different way for them to do it.

2 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

For them to put a search and destroy mode into Destiny 2 was a solid move. As strictly a viewer, the game appears it could have just be another part of Destiny rather than a sequel. Looking forward to playing it first hand before passing judgement on it. However, Destiny has some of the best gun play of any modern FPS so there isn't really too much of a reason to change a winning formula. Story seemed to be present at the very start of Destiny 2 so that's a big improvement. Hopefully Luke Smith doesn't shit his pants like he did over the past two years and we get some solid raids. 

What we have here is some realignment in consumer expectations required. We want a new awesome world all the time but want to keep all of the best bits (of which there were tons) from D1.

Bosses have been modified slightly. That's great. They might feel bullet sponges on one strike with limited gear but that's good. That's what we enjoyed, all games have that. If you look closely though the bosses have health bars segmented, allowing for different phases to happen.

Take, when loses his head, his behaviour and shots become wildly different. You have to change strategy to beat it. Perfect. Not like the Division when you kept peaking out from the same position to a boss that doesn't change or change the situation you or in.

Our subjective behaviour will make us either feel its a new sequel or 1.5. That shows they're on to a winner because both options are better something different. Just call that Anthem ;)

16 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

Well overall i'm really disappointed.......in myself because i like this game :lol:

Played a bit earlier with Bob and Charlie and i must admit i actually had fun. 

The two things i don't like are the jumping, wtf just let me boost,i don't want to hover. And the inability to turn whilst running, i'm sure there's a way of getting used to it but i'd rather moan about it :lol:

I knew you would Rachel. PvP is so refreshing now, you'll love that.

As for hover, you shouldn't have picked a Warlock first then ;)

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

So for the Warlock jump, are you guys canceling it and re boosting? Also don't forget to you the Dodge and hover ability to your advantage. I pretty much mained a lock and I feel the jumping is pretty damn tight for the class this year.

Edit - what I mean by re-boosting... Don't just hover and float to the ground. Jump get as high as you needed to be the cancel and free fall. Also cancel mid boost to strafe quickly.

Via the FG App

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Our subjective behaviour will make us either feel its a new sequel or 1.5. That shows they're on to a winner because both options are better something different. Just call that Anthem ;)

I'd consider it to be a failure if it's "Destiny 1.5" that leads me to believe it should have been a series of expansions rather than a sequel. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

34 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

I'd consider it to be a failure if it's "Destiny 1.5" that leads me to believe it should have been a series of expansions rather than a sequel. 

I wouldn't go as far as a failure. IF it is 1.5 in your opinion it just didn't match your full expectations.

My main concern (whilst I admit I don't help the problem) is too much hype means it sets up people's expetations to expect Destiny 2.5. When they get Destiny 2 it feels like they have received .5 less and therefore most of those folk say its Destiny 1.5. Its a natural habit with human behaviour full realists/pessimists to do this.

Its why I say, I do love what I've played in the beta but I'm staying grounded as I would change some things though - whatever the case I'm 95% certain most FGers will play 1000+ hours. That means it deserves some credit already for the feeling it gives us.

Not saying you fall into this, but I think when it drops our opinions on what number it truly is will differ as we look at different key bits to tell us if its a success or not.

Rico, Josh and I were the playing the strike again and things changed quite a bit so we did a bit of exploring. We even ended up acquiring some pikes! I saved the clip and tried to piece together the interesting parts.

I do not know if it is intentional or not, but making strikes more dynamic with changing enemies and environments would definitely be a nice addition. Hopefully they add more secrets to those side areas with the full game. 

Kia Ora. 

Nice @Kiweeeey Corey! I've seen you get the pikes at the start of the strike if you hang around a while.

Heard today we get to go The Farm social space on Sunday.

Also, when your inventory is full, you'll get to see on screen the rewards drop and a note saying it has been posted to the Postmaster which is nice little addition.

On 7/20/2017 at 3:29 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

I wouldn't go as far as a failure. IF it is 1.5 in your opinion it just didn't match your full expectations.

My main concern (whilst I admit I don't help the problem) is too much hype means it sets up people's expetations to expect Destiny 2.5. When they get Destiny 2 it feels like they have received .5 less and therefore most of those folk say its Destiny 1.5. Its a natural habit with human behaviour full realists/pessimists to do this.

Its why I say, I do love what I've played in the beta but I'm staying grounded as I would change some things though - whatever the case I'm 95% certain most FGers will play 1000+ hours. That means it deserves some credit already for the feeling it gives us.

Not saying you fall into this, but I think when it drops our opinions on what number it truly is will differ as we look at different key bits to tell us if its a success or not.

Let's be fair,he is a bitch😏

Am I missing something because the multiplayer bit that I have been playing felt random as fuck. I die absurdly quickly whilst ramming my gun up the opponents arsehole and unleashing the full force of a thousand marshmallows brings me absolutely no joy whatsoever. And as the only player on my team to be jumping on the dom flags (dont know what they are called in Destiny) and capturing every one of our teams points apparently makes me the most inefficient player on my team.

Team mates useless as normal and it seems like if you dont have a decent team of at least 3 means you are going to experience a worse time then if your missus decides shes interested in pegging and struts into the room with the extra massive cannon xxl strap on and deep heat for lube.

Being able to jump into the air for about 10 hours and having the agility of a handicapped slug means you are just asking for a death.

I think I might need a hand from you guys whenever you are next on because im struggling to find enjoyment in this at the moment

APmVvKG.gif

1 hour ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

Am I missing something because the multiplayer bit that I have been playing felt random as fuck. I die absurdly quickly whilst ramming my gun up the opponents arsehole and unleashing the full force of a thousand marshmallows brings me absolutely no joy whatsoever. And as the only player on my team to be jumping on the dom flags (dont know what they are called in Destiny) and capturing every one of our teams points apparently makes me the most inefficient player on my team.

Team mates useless as normal and it seems like if you dont have a decent team of at least 3 means you are going to experience a worse time then if your missus decides shes interested in pegging and struts into the room with the extra massive cannon xxl strap on and deep heat for lube.

Being able to jump into the air for about 10 hours and having the agility of a handicapped slug means you are just asking for a death.

I think I might need a hand from you guys whenever you are next on because im struggling to find enjoyment in this at the moment

Honestly they are trying to change the whole culture of the game. Slower TTK. Less super and grenades. The 4v4 isn't bad but with the smaller maps it's all about team shooting. Only one person needs to cap the flag because it doesn't go any faster with more on it. Yeah it's stupid. They are firing team play and the lone wolf out. Without a team you're fucked in this new format 

On 7/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, The3rdWalker said:

I agree.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

4 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

The last bit you said is right. Its a social game and now more than ever with PvP going to 4v4 you need co-ordination.

Also, if you're getting killed quickly your doing it wrong. The TTK is longer than ever, I think you're just suffering from playing it for the very first time.

I may be on tonight for the last bit to try some more if you can get on.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

The last bit you said is right. Its a social game and now more than ever with PvP going to 4v4 you need co-ordination.

Also, if you're getting killed quickly your doing it wrong. The TTK is longer than ever, I think you're just suffering from playing it for the very first time.

I may be on tonight for the last bit to try some more if you can get on.

So ive tried playing a lot more selfishly and just go for kills which has helped me win a lot more of my games at the expense of dashing for the OBJ. Aiming at an enemy is very hit and miss, maybe im underestimating the amount of bloom that occurs on each weapon if you try and hire fire it. Some weapons are just a load of shite if you try to ADS which makes no sense to me. Feels like im trying to play the game drunk.

Yeah I will try to get on for a few games tonight if i can get myself away from packing boxes  :D

APmVvKG.gif

5 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

So ive tried playing a lot more selfishly and just go for kills which has helped me win a lot more of my games at the expense of dashing for the OBJ. Aiming at an enemy is very hit and miss, maybe im underestimating the amount of bloom that occurs on each weapon if you try and hire fire it. Some weapons are just a load of shite if you try to ADS which makes no sense to me. Feels like im trying to play the game drunk.

Yeah I will try to get on for a few games tonight if i can get myself away from packing boxes  :D

Depends what you're using. But ADS shouldn't feel that bad, it didn't for me but maybe for others.

So I had a little look around the farm for the hour it was open. Looked pretty good and nice to explore for a little while.

Found the Dead Orbit section, scored a goal, found a few neat little spots for potential new stuff or Xur to hide in. Just a shame they didn't put vendors in. If you're going to test a server then the least you can do is get some interaction going.

I also didn't check when I first started but 20/30 minutes in, i checked the roster. 13 people was the highest that joined, not sure why they didn't push players together to stress the servers more either.

I don't mind them going for a longer TTK and a more team oriented approach in multiplayer. Making the PvE and PvP both into team oriented sections where you can go into games with your clanmates/friends brings it a more balanced game. I'm all for Bungie solidfiyjng and sticking with a particular identity for D2. 

My largest gripe with the PvP was in the search mode and the fact that heavy ammo spawns at the start of every round. The weapons are one shot kill and in the games I played it seemed to be whoever got that weapon won the round. Hopefully they change up the frequency a bit to make it a bit more balanced. 

Other than that I enjoyed the D2 beta and am looking forward to playing it. 

Kia Ora. 

Whether it lives up to your expectations or not is completely personal and subjective.  However with the Destiny 1.5 comments, I'm not sue what people expected.  Something like CoD or even Final Fantasy, they're iterations or stand alone but games like Destiny that are story driven the sequels are always more like DLC packs.  So for me, it isn't a question of is Destiny 2 going to be different to Destiny 1 because when it comes to mechanics, lore, premise etc. that isn't what I want.  I want Destiny 1 with a few tweaks, more of a story like the later DLC's than the vanilla game and, as it costs the same as a new game, a huge chunk of content.

Maybe Destiny Chapter 2 is a better name for it being that is what it is rather than a 'new' game.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

2 hours ago, Greboth said:

Whether it lives up to your expectations or not is completely personal and subjective.  However with the Destiny 1.5 comments, I'm not sue what people expected.  Something like CoD or even Final Fantasy, they're iterations or stand alone but games like Destiny that are story driven the sequels are always more like DLC packs.  So for me, it isn't a question of is Destiny 2 going to be different to Destiny 1 because when it comes to mechanics, lore, premise etc. that isn't what I want.  I want Destiny 1 with a few tweaks, more of a story like the later DLC's than the vanilla game and, as it costs the same as a new game, a huge chunk of content.

Maybe Destiny Chapter 2 is a better name for it being that is what it is rather than a 'new' game.

That's exactly what I want. Destiny 1 bit larger and with more and new stuff to do. I'm getting old and don't like change. Stop changing shot Bungie 

The beta has kind of put me off the game.

Didn't enjoy the PVP but the PVE was pretty good, so long as the other players do their bit, had some trouble with randoms.

I don't like the jumping and hanging in mid air but I suppose you get used to it.

I only played with one other FGer and he quit the strike mission we were playing before it finished.... so yeah if that's how it's going to be then I don't think I can be arsed.

Maybe PC if I find a nice deal[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

42 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

The beta has kind of put me off the game.

Didn't enjoy the PVP but the PVE was pretty good, so long as the other players do their bit, had some trouble with randoms.

I don't like the jumping and hanging in mid air but I suppose you get used to it.

I only played with one other FGer and he quit the strike mission we were playing before it finished.... so yeah if that's how it's going to be then I don't think I can be arsed.

Maybe PC if I find a nice dealemoji5.png

That's a problem with betas. You won't have a problem grouping up though with FGers Phil. Not from day one. We had 20-30 people on regularly on D1 and I don't see that changing. Not at least for the first few months at the very least.

If you're around tomorrow we could try the strike again but with an actual fireteam.

This is why its great that we have a decent clan already to game with. Plus, you're not getting out of it that easily Philip ;)

9 hours ago, phil bottle said:

You're not going to make it easy for me to escape Density are you Lee eh, damn youemoji8.png

Escape isn't my vocabulary Phil. :P

All seriousness though, looking back at what you said it was down to matchmaking on PvE why you felt it was not great, but you still said it was very good.

The beta this time round is a pure test of a few scenarios compared to the beta for D1, they had to show off their IP so it was tons more content and you get the all shiny new game impact along with it.

The latest videos in the Destiny 2 Info section about exploring adventures, etc, looks really promising and that bit is always good fun to group in or run solo.