Destiny: Everything we know

L_C_Scipio

I thought Halo was very overrated even being a 360 gamer for 7 years but it's really funny how all these Xbox fanboys bummed the fuck out of Bungie when they were exclusive to Microsoft but now they've left after a decade and gone on to produce Destiny which has exclusive PS4 content but still appearing on the Xbox One; suddenly Bungie are tossers, Destiny sucks and they can all go to hell cos 343's Halo 5 and the Master Chief collection is gonna own Sony. I just find this mentality stinking of fanboyism. 

Why can't the One users just accept that Destiny looks amazing, will cream in Halo's face and seeing that it's still appearing on their console; why not just enjoy it instead of getting bitter that PS4 owners are going to have the experience too but in greater fashion? 

Typical attitude of an Xbox One user; 'Wow Destiny looks sick'....

...Oh PS4 has content exclusivity....

....'Wow Destiny looks shit; Halo 2 looks better' 

Unconfirmed info says that there will be 11 Crucible maps, 32 story missions, and 15 unique Strikes. Plus we know that there will be Raids.

http://ign.com/articles/2014/07/28/was-destinys-full-game-content-discovered

Destiny story is just 20 hours along with a 20lvl cap. Raids begins at lvl25. 

Also no matchmaking for Raids and you MUST have a 5 other players without fail. Not even 4 people is enough to play. This could be a fucking nightmare getting 5 other players to contribute at the same time and commit to a Raid. Without matchmaking; you can't even get one loose player just to make up a team.

Destiny story is just 20 hours along with a 20lvl cap. Raids begins at lvl25.

Also no matchmaking for Raids and you MUST have a 5 other players without fail. Not even 4 people is enough to play. This could be a fucking nightmare getting 5 other players to contribute at the same time and commit to a Raid. Without matchmaking; you can't even get one loose player just to make up a team.

Confused....lvl cap is 20 or 25?

Also i find it hard to believe they won't implement matchmaking in the raids as they did it with a 3 man team on the final mission of the Beta. Which was a mini raid event. You have any sources on this info James?

One thing that nobody has talked about in a while is the commitment from Bungie on the daily updated content. Depending on how much content is packed with the original there could be a plethera of new content to try if they stuck to their promise.

Confused....lvl cap is 20 or 25?

Also i find it hard to believe they won't implement matchmaking in the raids as they did it with a 3 man team on the final mission of the Beta. Which was a mini raid event. You have any sources on this info James?

One thing that nobody has talked about in a while is the commitment from Bungie on the daily updated content. Depending on how much content is packed with the original there could be a plethera of new content to try if they stuck to their promise.

Top and bottom paragraphs contain the info from the Destiny dev http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

''Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers''“Raids are a really big bet for us,” he explains. “It's a bit of a risk. Because the activity requires you to have a group of five other friends to play with.”

I read about this on NeoGaf earlier but didn't believe it but it seems confirmed from the horses mouth. Halo Firefights had the same restrictions but you only needed 1 extra player to play but now needing 5 fellow players in sync is a bad move and just restricts the mode socially and for convenience particularly for casuals or people who don't have time to try and club together five other players at that time. 

Unconfirmed but also posted on NeoGaf earlier in the Raids leak; if one player drops out - the entire team auto-fails. If one person loses connection; insta-fail also. Didn't see this mentioned in the IGN interview but this could be another serious flaw. I cannot believe Bungie have done this - it's like they are still catering to the stereotypical Halo after school gamer. Didn't they think for one minute that this social emphasized MMO needed matchmaking for this aspect?  It's like Sledgehammer saying; you can play TDM in Advanced Warfare but you need a team of 5 pals from your friends list in a lobby else you cannot play. 

I was really looking forward to Raids but this is a massive blow and just takes the conveniance out of playing games when you have a busy schedule and responsibilities. I can't be sitting down trying to club 5 other people together or sending invites to randoms when it's the games responsibility to make it efficient for me to play. Hopefully today's outrage will give Bungie food for thought and they create a system so people can play Raids when they want with as little fuss as possible. 

Warframe has a similar system with no matchmaking for endgame content; if you want players you go to a recruiting chat channel (which will be the Tower in Destiny). Between that and the Bungie forums it shouldn't be hard to find a party.

As far as the auto fail if someone leaves, I'd hold off on the outrage until that's confirmed. I also can't believe they'd do that since some Raids are supposed to be 4+ hours long.

Warframe has a similar system with no matchmaking for endgame content; if you want players you go to a recruiting chat channel (which will be the Tower in Destiny). Between that and the Bungie forums it shouldn't be hard to find a party.

As far as the auto fail if someone leaves, I'd hold off on the outrage until that's confirmed. I also can't believe they'd do that since some Raids are supposed to be 4+ hours long.

Bungie it seems don't want you to play 'as a disparate group of strangers' so they are under the assumption that everyone will have a bulky friends list from the get-go with available players at that given time and shouldn't need to go fishing for buddies. It's a bad assumption by them IMO but they recognise their risk in doing that. Also, if you have to recruit via the tower precisely the number of players you are short to play; that kinda destroys their wishes in terms of playing with strangers regardless. MMO's are all about making friends in game as you go. 

If some Raids are 4+ hours straight - fuck that. Who the hell (apart from kids) has that much time on their hands in one session? Not very healthy either if you can't have a break or save midpoint.   

Bungie talks raids and other endgame content:

http://ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

The way I'm understanding it Bungie is saying there's no matchmaking in Raids because the level of communication and teamwork required would be impossible for randoms.

Bungie talks raids and other endgame content:

http://ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

The way I'm understanding it Bungie is saying there's no matchmaking in Raids because the level of communication and teamwork required would be impossible for randoms.

That's the article I already published 6 posts ago :lol:  

I don't like this purely because it's the assumption that randoms cannot work together as a team - the very infrastructure that has made MMO's a very socially satisfying and enjoyable experience over the years. Let's say you have 4 friends online at a specific time but still need two players before you can start a match without fail; I'd rather have a quick matchmaking service to cater for any people that are looking for a game at that time and are willing to join as opposed to manually pissing about and having to search for others online or in the tower trying to club two people together to fill the void through adding them to a friends list or invite - it still destroys Bungie's initial wishes of randoms playing together anyway by having to do this so their assumption that a player will always immediately have 5 friends in sync available at the same time just suggests ignorance from their 4pm peak Halo days when the kids finish school and they have 6 hours straight spare. 

4+ hours straight is unhealthy as well. People already sit on their ass for too long during the day.

It's even a problem for after school. You don't have 6 hrs straight to spare. When are those guys supposed to have diner and do home work if that is the target audience. Perhaps some parents would allow it but I wouldn't. If one of the kids was to tell me they aren't going to eat dinner because they have to play a game for another 2 hours, I'd unplug the console.

Sounds like a stupid plan

Randoms can't work together as a team. That's not so much assumption as fact. Maybe it's different on PC but even with every PS4 coming with a mic, probably 80% or more of players don't use them.

Raids aren't going to be something you do on a whim; they'll take preparation and planning so I don't see why it would be a big deal to hang out in the tower for 15 minutes to find two more appropriate players.

4+ hours straight is unhealthy as well. People already sit on their ass for too long during the day.

It's even a problem for after school. You don't have 6 hrs straight to spare. When are those guys supposed to have diner and do home work if that is the target audience. Perhaps some parents would allow it but I wouldn't. If one of the kids was to tell me they aren't going to eat dinner because they have to play a game for another 2 hours, I'd unplug the console.

Sounds like a stupid plan

+1 this is taken from the PS4 manual 

• Avoid prolonged use of the PlayStation® system.
  • Take a 15-minute break during each hour of play.

Seems Bungie have other ideas.. 

I played Halo 3 for four years and after 4pm you'd always have an upward spike in the player count through the evening along with rammed Fireteam matches and it just seems Bungie are building their MMO structure around their classic multiplayer system which doesn't cater in the best interests of many gamers for this genre or potential health implications that it could create. 

Well that's one of the dumbest ideas I've heard, shame it seems destiny isn't going to be the game I hoped for, looks more like its going to be story mode mainly and hope they add content to extend its life.

The one thing about the beta I did find satisfying was I teamed up with 2 randoms to take down one of the bosses or that strike mission, one left but the remaining 2 of us stuck at it, install fail if one of 5 leaves thats just going to be so frustrating its just not viable imo

Randoms can't work together as a team. That's not so much assumption as fact. Maybe it's different on PC but even with every PS4 coming with a mic, probably 80% or more of players don't use them.

Raids aren't going to be something you do on a whim; they'll take preparation and planning so I don't see why it would be a big deal to hang out in the tower for 15 minutes to find two more appropriate players.

Hangout for 15 minutes, maybe find some people you think will stick it out and aren't a-holes.  Play for an hour and a half, one quits, you all fail.  Talk about a waste of time. 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Hangout for 15 minutes, maybe find some people you think will stick it out and aren't a-holes.  Play for an hour and a half, one quits, you all fail.  Talk about a waste of time. 

Auto fail I hope for the love of god doesn't get implemented but Bungie seem fixated on 6 players, no more, no less at all times for Raids. If you're even playing in a party of 6 in a Raid started at 6pm let's say and it's going on 9.30pm and it still hasn't ended but you or one of your team needs to get the dinner in the oven, put the kids to bed, phone goes off, an emergency, pick up the wife from work etc..you all end up losing over 3 hours of effort because of natural life occurrences. With no matchmaking; you can't get someone to hop in if such a thing materialises for the final hour+ and by the sounds of it; you can't even invite someone to join mid-game just to cover the person(s) who have unfortunately had to drop out because of certain circumstances. Also if you're playing with a buddy from the other side of the world and someone loses connection; game over too?

Firefights on Halo were fine as you could play 1-4 players at any time and players could join via matchmaking but leave of their own accord if they had to opt out and could be replaced by someone else through invite, join or common matchmaking. With Raids being fixed at six and in Bungie's words; an essential and conditional number to play the mode; it seems the flexibility isn't there and they have made a catastrophic error of judgement on players habits, health and availability.

Even with Raids planned out to the precise second; you always have to prepare for the unexpected in life and may have to remove yourself from the game but I hope that everyone else doesn't have to suffer hours of lost gameplay because of Bungie's strict and ignorant approach. Raids seem overly ambitious but Bungie haven't considered a host of factors that could impact the experience. 

Hangout for 15 minutes, maybe find some people you think will stick it out and aren't a-holes. Play for an hour and a half, one quits, you all fail. Talk about a waste of time.

How does matchmaking help this?

They're not going to change it before launch. The article talks about how they realize that it's a high risk high reward move. Maybe down the line they'll change it, but it won't be for a while.

They're not going to change it before launch. The article talks about how they realize that it's a high risk high reward move. Maybe down the line they'll change it, but it won't be for a while.

If they had match making you could pickup another player that has been put into the queue and complete the mission. Sort of like host migration works. 

I don't know how matchmaking would or could fix anything, but I know that it's stupid for a group of people to play a game for over an hour and something comes up, someone has to go, and everyone auto-fails the mission.  That's. Dumb. 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png