What do you do in your daily work life?

Luseth

So I am sat here this morning looking at a computer screen and if I'm being honest I can't really be arsed 😄 So I thought I would ask what people do for work and what are your day to day tasks like?

For me I design relatively simple mechanical building services for residential complexes, literally right now I am producing a schematic for the water supply around the building, working out sizes of pipes and the routes they will be taking, little snippet below -

image.thumb.png.724183af435fa346c98e5dda9ecddf67.png

Generally my work day can be quite varied, some days design team meetings, others doing drawings like the above, others it's meeting suppliers or sub-contractors and coming up at the end of this month is the first 3d project we are doing internally (which as the others in the design team have no experience of Revit I will likely be leading).

So yeah what do you get up to in your work day?

Luseth.png

I lead a team that designs 5G and datacenter chips. It spans over 6 countries and 13 time zones 

So I get to have meetings at all kind of ridiculous hours but I get a lot of spaces in between which allows me to game if I want to. 

Customers are companies like Cisco, Ericsson, Nokia, Microsoft, Ciena, ZTE, Rakuten, Facebook, Google. 

Most of the chips can be customized to the customers specific needs. The typically handle 1.6  Terabyte per second of data using serial links that individually handle 106.26 Gigabyte per second of bandwidth. Most of the interfaces are Ethernet, PCIE or wireless 5G

I typically design review the designs or help the less experience people with the designs problems they might encounter. 

It's all done in Verilog/VHDL or Deep sub-micron Custom transceiver design

My work day is a work night well it has been pretty much constantly since 95... just passed 37 years service as a CNC machinist in a heavy engineering company mostly producing pump equipment for the oil and gas industry. No we didn't do piper alpha😉.

We have however done some world record stuff at times, I'm pretty proud of the stuff I've produced but im now looking forward to getting out for good hopefully at the right time with a nice wedge of redundancy.

I'm also not just an operator but programmer and setter too. I've posted some pics on my ppr before but this will give some idea.

Screenshot_20231006_162400_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_162453_Gallery.jpg

I’m Head of Physical Production for a performance capture company called The Imaginarium Studios. My day to day job is preparing for projects by breaking down scripts into mocap friendly shots, designing and building mocap volumes as well as a load of tech/production stuff. I also run digital line up, that’s where we take an environment in a game engine and replicate it in our stage. It’s essentially marking out where walls, ramps, stairs, chairs etc should be in the real world.

7 hours ago, tronic44 said:

I’m Head of Physical Production for a performance capture company called The Imaginarium Studios. My day to day job is preparing for projects by breaking down scripts into mocap friendly shots, designing and building mocap volumes as well as a load of tech/production stuff. I also run digital line up, that’s where we take an environment in a game engine and replicate it in our stage. It’s essentially marking out where walls, ramps, stairs, chairs etc should be in the real world.

Rubbish, you're an undercover spy with an 00-number because you never tell us where you are or what you're working on!!

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 10/6/2023 at 10:53 AM, Luseth said:

So I am sat here this morning looking at a computer screen and if I'm being honest I can't really be arsed 😄 So I thought I would ask what people do for work and what are your day to day tasks like?

For me I design relatively simple mechanical building services for residential complexes, literally right now I am producing a schematic for the water supply around the building, working out sizes of pipes and the routes they will be taking, little snippet below -

image.thumb.png.724183af435fa346c98e5dda9ecddf67.png

Generally my work day can be quite varied, some days design team meetings, others doing drawings like the above, others it's meeting suppliers or sub-contractors and coming up at the end of this month is the first 3d project we are doing internally (which as the others in the design team have no experience of Revit I will likely be leading).

So yeah what do you get up to in your work day?

Please tell me you're one of the good guys who prints a test plot to make sure you can read it all clearly?...not like one of those work experience consultants who draw gas lines in yellow so you can hardly see it on WHITE paper!! 🤬

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

19 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Please tell me you're one of the good guys who prints a test plot to make sure you can read it all clearly?...not like one of those work experience consultants who draw gas lines in yellow so you can hardly see it on WHITE paper!! 🤬

haha! I print them off to check before I issue anything, it is incredibly easy to miss stuff on a screen. We seem to be one of few offices still with drawing boards ^_^ We do have one CAD tech though who has issued blank pdf files before now 😂

Luseth.png

I work in Insurance as an Underwriter, insuring anything that produces Power/Electricity. That includes anything from a Coal-fired power station to a Solar farm. 

Day-to-day is reviewing submissions that come in from our brokers, determine the terms we would need to insure the risk, taking into consideration factors such as Natural Catastrophe risk, claims experience, etc. 

It’s not as boring as it sounds 😄