Console subscriptions

Luseth

So the PS Plus yearly subscriptions are increasing and there has been some grumbling from the gaming community, I am not entirely sure why they are even a thing to be honest at least for the base tiers.

In the current climate and with people looking to cut back on costs have you considered moving from one console to the other due to the sub prices (I think Xbox will now have the cheaper base subscription), has anyone just cancelled their subs and stuck to PC gaming for example?

Is anyone here bothered by it all? ^_^ The prices going up are hardly surprising but considering the number of people on PS I am fairly sure that it will look good when they report their profits for the next few years.

Luseth.png

The PS subscription is money in Sony's pockets for not a lot of effort. People will suck it up as usual. Some will even defend the increase. So, its a no-brainer for Sony. 

I do have Gamepass with Microsoft as it allows me to play on either console or PC but I take breaks from it. I didn't have Gamepass in June or July but I've started it up again for Starfield.

I keep forgetting to cancel my Disney subscription and a month has turned into a year, so cheers, this thread has reminded me of that 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The way I see it, if people have been paying £50 for PSN which is a complete rip-off in itself then what's another £20 on top? Sony are yet to justify even the basic price they've were charging since 2013 let alone any rises. Anyone that has reservations about this increase should absolutely get out of it now if they have an alternative. 

Microsoft will go the same way in time so finding an alternative there wont make a difference - there's already been Game Pass increases and limitations and Xbox Live wont be fifty notes forever either. If you have access to a PC then every platform being free is still one of the most overlooked benefits. I've only been saving my PS5 for single player exclusives because there is no way I am paying £50 (now £70) just for something I can do for free on Steam, UbiC, Bnet, EA Play plus the rest. 

If Sony actually had a full streaming service and backward compatibility library in play for a fixed non-tier price then it would be worth considering but in its current form, PSN is a scandalous charge especially when Sony are leeching off of other people's servers and services 95% of the time. You're essentially paying top-dollar for patches. 

For me, I had PS Premium, it felt like a nice treat at christmas to keep it going (I was given it when they were merged), I can tell you for certain the heighest tier is absolutely crap and a waste of money.

PS Extra I have actually used, there has been enough content to enjoy and I have tried out some new games, that said I also dip into Xgame pass every now and again that offers the same (albeit slightly better) so I will likely carry on dipping in and reduce my PS sub to the minimum.

I think the only thing really tying me into these subscriptions these days are the social aspect, it's quite an outlay now and I don't see the benefit in that there is no reason to be paying for online play in my eyes when it is done on the PC for nothing and though the odd PS Plus game turns out to be good they aren't necassarily games I am askin for, I can't see why they couldn't do a basic subscription and do away with the games each month.

It's just easy money for Sony / Microsoft and for some reason everyone just accepts it as is.

With COD and even Fifa going down the route of crossplay which is where I get my social fixes I am definately getting fonder of my pc gaming again.

Luseth.png

Always the basic package for me as I just need to be online to play with all you lot. It used to be the same years ago when the subscription service started on Xbox to allow online functions. I don't really agree with any subscription service just to play the same game you've bought online but I suppose it pays for maintenance and i expect it up 365 days a year, 24/7.

The ps plus monthly games are always an additional bonus, abit like if you get a bonus at work. You hope to get a big one / good game, but you can't guarantee anything happeneing. We've had some incredible games that have lasted a long time via PS Plus so its not all bad. We just live in an era that that we are kind of bound to it now just to play online, so 98% of people will just accept it and move on gaming as per usual.

I only still don't touch Gamepass on Microsoft because games come and go off there. When I get a game I want it to be owned and mine whenever i want to play it. Helpful for demos or early access games I would appreciate.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb