GazzaGarratt

Another game that's been revealed from the 2023 Playstation Showcase. We should probably call this Starship Troopers really shouldn't we? 😎

First one was an underrated third party game from what I recall and this looks like they wanting to build hard on that success. Coming to PS5 and PC.

Thoughts everyone?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Now this actually did get my interest, in part because on tik tok the past week or so I have seen a lot of Starship troopers footage with there being a new game on pc (16 player co-op as well apparently if FG fancies giving it a go?)

That said I thought this looked kind of cool, definitely a different style to the original game and it looks to have a bigger budget. The first game did quite well but it was partly due to PS Plus so can this sustain the success?

Luseth.png

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Now this actually did get my interest, in part because on tik tok the past week or so I have seen a lot of Starship troopers footage with there being a new game on pc (16 player co-op as well apparently if FG fancies giving it a go?)

That said I thought this looked kind of cool, definitely a different style to the original game and it looks to have a bigger budget. The first game did quite well but it was partly due to PS Plus so can this sustain the success?

The Starship Troopers game on PC is in early access and comes from a mod of tactical shooter Squad.

It looks amazing and I'll definitely be playing it!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Out now on PS5 and Steam.  I bought it and gave it a quick go on launch day.  Did Anyone else pick this up?  It looks like it could be a fun one with some FGers.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I'm digging it.  Action is intense, with lots of baddies to deal with.  I like the system involving drops from your ship.  You hold a button and input commands to have special weapons, resupply creates, reinforcement, etc to drop.   Good fun so far.

22 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

Reply to this post if it’s a good game and if you’ve bought it, that’s my main criteria: 1. Is it good? 2. Are people in FG buying it? 

I think @GazzaGarratt and I are planning to pick it up, just not sure when yet or on what device. Is it crossplay do we know? I'll google it ^_^

Luseth.png

Well, I've picked it up off Amazon so will be here in a few days. It keeps coming on my feed and the small snippets of videos look truly awesome. Hopefully we'll plan a few events on FG and get a few squads going 👊

Loves the first game. This is infinitely better. A proper horde mode esque game with some tactics built into the higher level difficulties. 

Air support feeling is amazing when it hits the enemies, also pretty funny when it's a bit too much danger close and wipes out your entire squad!!

Difficulties make a massive difference too. Nice and casual at lower levels and properly intense at the higher end. A question of picking your poison relating to what you want to get out of it.

Best game I've played in ages and is most defo going to get me back online!!

11 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I may pick up on payday if folk are finding it decent, was waiting for real feedback as I'd heard it has a bit of pay to win...but if the grind is fun then let me know 🤗

Defo, not pay to win. Microtransactions feel very minor and not really game impacting. The grind is the same for all regardless 👍

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

I may pick up on payday if folk are finding it decent, was waiting for real feedback as I'd heard it has a bit of pay to win...but if the grind is fun then let me know 🤗

I had heard that as well but I don't really understand where that has come from.

There are sort of like 2 battle passes, 1 which is free and earned in game, the other is paid for (but you do earn the currency through general play and the free battle pass). The guns on the paid for option have been compared with those you get on the free and everything is fairly well balanced.

Luseth.png

So far, my biggest issue with this is trying to get online, and the servers are full.  2 nights in a row for me in the EST timezone.  I hope they increase their server size soon.

Server situation is completely unacceptable right now. Was really hoping to pick it up but there were apparently hundreds of thousands of users who couldn't get in all weekend and the servers were also overwhelmed with AFKers clogging up the joint. Server capacity was also capped at 450,000 yet Steam had a peak of 330.000 accessing the services. If they are going to go down the live service route so they can attach their shitty microtransaction plague of a store then they really need to cope with the demand or keep the game local only with P2P and basic online service access. Servers in this day and age for a game of this nature should be expecting between 2-5m active players so capping at less than half a million is a joke and it's not like it's release weekend either. Very poor showing. 

If folk are still playing it on a week or so, and everything has settled down I'll probably pick it up. Not a massive fan of 3rd person but if done right I'm ok. Gears and Division games were fine and I've heard the player movement is decent.

PS5 or PC though 🤔

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Rather than increasing capacity, it seems they are more focused on reducing AFK players instead, so the lousy player cap will remain. 

Players are getting ripped off right left and centre with PS+ and the one time Sony's extended online services are required, they bottle it. 

Seriously have to question what gamers are paying for because Playstation Online is built off of 95% of other companies services. 

On 3/10/2024 at 9:24 PM, Bluebear said:

Just picked this up on PC, guessing I can still play with PSN people as it wanted to link my steam with my PSN?

Yeah its crossplay but we haven't tried much of that yet. I'll have a look when I know I can dedicate some nights to it and hopefully we can squad up. Discord shouldn't be an issue to use too.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:28 AM, phil bottle said:

Are people still playing this? Is it still worth picking up?

I'm off work until Tuesday and can't decide whether to go for this or do the Cyberpunk DLC

I’m still playing this a few times a week with my mate, and I’ve seen some of the FG crew that I have on PSN playing pretty often too! 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:28 AM, phil bottle said:

Are people still playing this? Is it still worth picking up?

I'm off work until Tuesday and can't decide whether to go for this or do the Cyberpunk DLC

Yes mate - absolutely loving the game. We need to try crossplay more but I think its also knowing when people are on PC as one of the things that had a bug since launch was the friends in-game system. Whilst it has a few bugs here and there for £30 its an absolute steal. A few missions here and there together in a group is awesome and also brings some hilarity to the conversation as someone's 500kg Bomb beats the shit out of you when they throw it on your head....accidentally of course 👀🤣