Resident Evil games, what are your type 5?

Luseth

So just been discussing this series with some friends, I have never played a Resi Evil game properly. I might have dipped in 1 or 2 for a few minutes but never comitted any real time to a game.

Looking at 7 on the ps4 and having it in my library I plan to give it a go once one of the games I am currently playing finishes up. What I wanted to ask is your top 5's and recommendations?

I felt retro is more apt as I suppose these day's the games before 7 are mostly retro?

Luseth.png

Resident Evil 2 (PS1) 

Resident Evil (PS1)

Resident Evil Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

Resident Evil 4 (PC)

Resident Evil 0 (Gamecube)

I mostly like the classics with the fixed camera and tank controls. The remakes are mostly brilliant and 7 along with Village are two fantastic new takes on the classic series. Only with 5 and 6 did the franchise lose its way. The N64 version of RE2 is also hailed as one of the greatest ports of all time from a technical execution standpoint. Shoutout to the HD remake of the original RE which was initially a Gamecube exclusive before appearing on other formats - that was one of the OG remasterings in gaming.

I haven’t played them all, first 4 are ace for sure, 5 and 6 are good but they are very different games. Haven’t played any of the others

I really enjoyed the remakes of 2 and 3 and if you get them at the right time you can get them for a steal on steam, I think I picked up both for around £15-£20 on sale and in a bundle, there will probably be a good deal on these when RE4 remake drops

so my top 5 in no order as I can’t decide would be

OG Resident Evil

OG Resident Evil 2

OG Resident Evil 4

Remake Resident evil 2

Remake Resident evil 3

16 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Shoutout to the HD remake of the original RE which was initially a Gamecube exclusive before appearing on other formats - that was one of the OG remasterings in gaming.

I didn’t realise this and have intentionally avoided it as I assumed it would be trash! I might have to actually give it a try then

Defo give them a go Matt they are great. I personally love the first one from the ps1. And also number 2 as you could do the story through twice with slightly different paths playing as either Chris or Jill  @GazzaGarrattand I spent many hours on them back in the day and would constantly shit ourselves! I might have to get on them again now but I'm too scared 😱😀

I didn't really enjoy the remakes of resi 2 and 3 due to the fact they were very short.

I did a speed run on resi 3 and finished it in just over an hour.

I enjoyed the original resi on the Nintendo DS as you could use the touch pad.

I feel its time they stopped with the remakes and focus on new games that it between each game like they did with code Veronica x.

slamminbones.png

4 hours ago, slamminbones said:

I feel its time they stopped with the remakes and focus on new games that it between each game like they did with code Veronica x.

I think they should remake Code Veronica and then call it a day on that front. Would love to see them revive Dino Crisis instead, either as a new game or remake. I think Resident Evil 9 is in the works which will complete the Ethan Winters story arc. 

11 hours ago, Tove said:

I didn’t realise this and have intentionally avoided it as I assumed it would be trash! I might have to actually give it a try then

I think it's about £3.99 in the Capcom platform-wide sales right now so I'd definitely grab it and give it a go. 

Resident Evil 2 by a mile for me first, although I actually loved Resident Evil 3 because of how short it was. Back in the day, these games scared me so I was so happy to actually fully complete this one on its own. As people say above the camera aesthetics were/are unique for how the early ones played. Does the new one allow multiple playthroughs like the old one? The reason I say RE2 is because you were actually supposed to play it through 4 times. Once as Clare, then Leon and then vice versa to get the outfits. At least twice would show how forward thinking they were on how the stories were put together from different angles and perspectives.

I may play RE1 again to see how it plays as I never got far with @Findmartin on it. For some reason, although RE4 was given huge praise I never really was interested in it. Mainly because it was actually the opposte of sneaking around and using ammo decisions. It was way more action packed and I actually like the look of the remake camera angle than the OG camera as over the shoulder was super close to the camera on PS2.

I nearly have the whole set on GameCube just missing RE2 which I think may be a good playthrough from start to finish. Code Veronica has to be up there too as visuals and aesthetics are superb in that.

Forum Signature Test.png

I've noticed a few mistakes about the games.

Resi 2 was claire and Leon which for both you had scenario A & B which when you play A for Leon you had claires B going on as you run in to each other through out the game then vice versa.

Resi 1 you had Jill & Chris but there was multiple endings you just had to do minimal changes through out the game for the endings.

For resi 3 the original if I recall you had ly 2 endings one had barry Burton from resi 1 and that's the only 2 games you see barry in.

slamminbones.png

25 minutes ago, slamminbones said:

Resi 2 was claire and Leon which for both you had scenario A & B which when you play A for Leon you had claires B going on as you run in to each other through out the game then vice versa.

Ah good spots! Easy to get the names jumbled up. Does the remake have these endings cos you said it was fairly short? I thought they remastered it with new sections, etc?

Forum Signature Test.png

Res 4

Res 2 (Remake included)

Res 1 (Original, Directors cut, and GC remake)

Res 7

Res: CV

I played the ever-loving shit out of 2 on multiple occasions, but man.  When Res 4 hit, that instantly climbed into my top 5 games of all time.  The GC version was so replayed, but when that Wii version dropped, the motion controls just added that little bit of extra precision that puts it on top for me.

I did enjoy Village too, and it was close.  But, I found it really faltered in the latter half.  The suspense and terror were great until after the dollhouse.  Then it just turned into a shooter.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Ah good spots! Easy to get the names jumbled up. Does the remake have these endings cos you said it was fairly short? I thought they remastered it with new sections, etc?

From what I remember it was only 1 walk through each foe the remake.

slamminbones.png

Although I am a fan of the series I didn't start playing RE until number 5, which I remember absolutely loving!! I then played 6, which i enjoyed but felt more towards a shooter. I didn't play number 2 until recently, and i love the way 7 and 8 play as they feel much more horror focused. I've never played any of the spin offs either. So this is my top 5..

Resi Evil 7

Resi Evil 8

Resi Evil 2

Resi Evil 5

Resi Evil 6

Also, can't wait to play 4 later on this year!!

Of all the one I played, the OG RE1 stands out as the creepiest and most memorable and while the old controls were very clunky compared to now, they kind of added to the fear factor. However, in terms of playing now my list is similar to Chad:

RE4

RE2

RE1

RE7

RE8 is on Steam sale but I believe the spring/summer sale starts next week, so I'm watching my pennies...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 hours ago, slamminbones said:

Suprised nobody's mentioned the terrible acting in the OG resi 1 😅

I know I brought it up recently on a separate forum thread.  Lol!!  God, that was awful.

"Jill, wait..  DON"T go through THAT door!"

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

4 minutes ago, Riff Machine said:

I know I brought it up recently on a separate forum thread.  Lol!!  God, that was awful.

"Jill, wait..  DON"T go through THAT door!"

You almost became a Jill sandwich 😅

slamminbones.png

I'm still playing Resident Evil 5 and it's been an absolute blast last few days! The combat is incredible fun as is the boss battles, plus the levels are really enjoyable and even the story is fairly well done surprisingly. Playing with an AI companion works very well and I can see co-op being one of the best experiences of its kind with splitscreen, online and local available. The inventory management emphasis also plays an big role here which really adds to the gameplay. I'm approaching the 10 hour mark and still not done yet and with chapters graded on performance, there is definitely going to be a lot of replayability here. I'd seriously consider picking it up before the Capcom platform-wide sales end. You don't even need to be a veteran of the series to have fun with this. First hour is a bit slow but then it really gets going. 

Game still looks fantastic after 14 years too! 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett