On 4/17/2024 at 12:05 AM, NCA-Paendrag said:

I am so far behind that I dont think I will manage to get back to it.

Its not really about catching anymore since they changed the Power and grind factor in the game. Power numbers are extremely similar now so theres usually only a tiny increase each season and from what I remember some had zero update to max cap on highest power numbers. The game introduced a progression system with a bunch of objectives which I believe is the main number shown when you walk around seeing randoms. All about just what you have completed, not about doing a million and one raids, dungeons, etc.

This update for me is going back in to experience the world much moved on with a bunch of Quality of Life updates we badly needed earlier in the game, a good solid campaign story, and being able to just try and complete fun activities with lots of us here. Anything else is a bonus.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

With Final Shape being delayed, Bungie promised some bits to keep players engaged. I think they've done a decent job looking at what seems available:

GKvQIoOXIAABNgW?format=jpg&name=medium

Here's the trailer:

Some thoughts

• Finally added some form of a horde mode, called Onslaught. 50 levels. Different difficulties.
  • 12 weapons, removed because of gamebreaking elements, now back in the game. Updated and enhanced.
  • 2 exotic missions. Whisper and Zero Hour. Probably 2 of the best missions we've ever had.
  • Raid Gauntlet Boss new activity. I think if this works, this will hit fantastically hard.

There seems more but those were the key parts for me. Most people are saying PvP will be broken as hell, but I think we were already there anyway with that lol.

For free for the 2 months ahead of the Final Shape, it seems like a great update to me. Any thoughts?

Its finally coming....soon. Never thought it would be 10 whole years of Destiny and we'd get some form of a conclusion to the games story and activities we've played for so long.

Trailer above shows we finally have a new 5th enemy race, as rumoured at the start of Destiny that we'd have 5 total races. They are also combining Light and Dark subclasses to create a new subclass, Prismatic. They clearly are blowing all the doors off what's possible now in Destiny and open admit they want to break certain floors and ceilings in the game. If the story can be anywhere near as good as Witch Queen, then we'll be in for a treat. I can't see any reason why it won't be. I'm intrigued to see what else they change with it. Possibly a few months of this before an overhaul and into a Destiny 3??? I'll keep that to another thread but for now, Final Shape seems to be finally giving us that wow factor we've missed for so so long.

As for me, its been a long break for Destiny - nearly 18 months it feels like. I've been cautious to get back into it before now because it never felt any different. Regardless of how this lands, I think its probably a perfect time for most FGers, old returning Destiny folk or ones that never tried it, to into this DLC. To finish off a story that's been a huge part of our lives, as well as FG, seems fitting to try and get as many on it as possible.

Set at £40 to be released 6th June, which I think is reasonable. With the new Into The Light refresh they are having right now for a few months, this should also leave us with plenty of activities to experience together. No boring grinding btw, just finding nights where we can hook up and help each other accomplish cool, awesome missions, strikes, dungeons, raids, etc.

Anyone else have thoughts on this gameplay?

State of Destiny 2
Posted
On 11/10/2023 at 3:14 PM, Baabcat said:

Best times in normal PvP were probably the exotic bounties that forced you to do PvP in D1 - gave it a purpose (an hunter who got thorn at last will remember the feeling of relief after completing the void kills at a time when the only void option for hunters was a Heavy or one raid weapon!

Quests make this game so god damn good. Objectives are key to keep people coming back, working through the steps. I think too many people moaned back then that they needed all quests to be 'accessible', but the whole point sometimes in games is that you have to do something unique to get a certain weapon or piece of gear.

D1 and D2 were fantastic at times but as has been said before the cookie cutter Seasonal content just became meh !  Too grindy even for me, and thats what eventually made me drop away, and honestly cant even face thinking about going back! 

I think the grind has gone which overall means its better...but when they started teh Seasonal model, its a bit like a TV series we've watched over the years. May start well and people enjoy it as its a routine but over time will become stale. They knew they had to shake up seasons at some point, just don't know why they weren't already planning for that - i'd have started planning at the start of seasons or even before to know whats next.

But when it was good it was great - the FG Raid teams in particular. So many great memories, and laughs. The hours of banging heads against brick walls for that one final run when everyone at last got it right. One of the great things was they way you didnt actually have to be great at the game to finish the raids, learning a role and having a supportive team meant you'd get the completion eventually, not everyone had to be a superstar, was incredibly accessible.

Most possibly the best experiences ever lived at FG. Raids are insanely good. Nothing beats 6 players cracking a puzzle together, relying on teammates to help you and you stepping up to help in return. So many epic fails, we should've recorded far more often for the memories.

State of Destiny 2
Posted

PvP worked in Destiny at the start very well as it was never really badged the uber competitive MP PvP game, more so an addition to the game that was phenomenally well backed by loads of players. Problem is over time gamers expectations change, especially when it lands as well as it did, people expect more and more and had to be better stuff. I just don't think Bungie ever said PvP was going to be the thing to do in Destiny, player power made them look at it in a different light, wanting more stuff and then a way to get competitive in it.

If PvP wasn't taken as seriously, just like in D1, then I think its not in that bad of a state. Its ludicrous for a reason and its why I think we all loved it so much. At least now after 10 years you have a mode where its now pretty much about the guns and not supers, which is what everyone wanted...but no one is probably giving it a go because its a little too late for some.

State of Destiny 2
Posted
13 hours ago, Diddums said:

Like most here, some of my fondest gaming memories were in this game and funnily enough on Monday was wondering if it'd be worth installing it to see if I could resuscitate that old flame but reading this has put that idea to bed. 

Yeah, I never want to be too deep and profound to say 'this game is dead', mainly because how many times have we heard that in the last 10 years and its still here lol. I think games that are in your life so regularly like this one, just need to evolve and move with the audience and its hit a spot where that hasn't matched for a while now. Having said all that, and with the new season actually kicking off some crazy stuff until something that hasn't been talked about for a while (The 15th Wish), I think the hype i've seen over the last 48 hours shows it still has the ability to shine. And it can shine and be played alongside us feeling really crap that some good people got let go from this studio.

There are so many people at FG that never really ventured into this game and I know that if we actually managed to get them on it, we'd have an absolute blast because their minds would be blown away by so much stuff thats in it. No other game can compare to it, so maybe the break for a little bit longer will just do us all some good. No need to care for the grind anymore, just hang out, complete some fun missions and quests together and have a blast like we've done on so many other games.

State of Destiny 2
Posted

Ahh man. I've been putting this off for abit, not too dissimilar to how I've chosen to shelve the game for the past 6-9 months.

I think Chad hits the rusty old nail on the head spot on tbh. With a live service game, if you end up being too same-y for too long people get apathy and the interest each season isn't as hyped as they may want it. Everything is cyclical in the world, so usually you need to be ready to cycle round to the next way of working to make the game feel fresh to players.

I also believe the other pain point is not being able to engage fully with new players for YEARS. I think whilst some of the UI changes have been getting better over time to support new players, the main issue remains around the whole package and how they've got into to a stage of a game that looks fundamentally different to D2 when it started (which would've been made to flow in the right way from the start).

You could argue that we/they need to create the game again as Destiny 3 or rebrand to Destiny 1, to effectively make people feel like they are starting from scratch. I also think how they've bundled the game up, it is so confusing to new and existing players on which bundle you are supposed to buy to get into the game.

The way that people have been let go is incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when I held this company in a great light on how they do things with people. Don't fall into that trap though that just because of the layoffs that Destiny is going anywhere because it can't. This is Bungie's current only revenue stream, so they need it to pick up the cash for them to keep delivering updates continuously. I could see the inevitable delay in The Final Shape (not confirmed yet but pretty obvs) dropping with some nostalgia stuff to help players move back into the game - I really think that they need to find a way to get the game engine to house all the previous missions, stories, etc, into the game so people can take that journey. I would love to see that all content too is easily bought in one reasonably priced bundle - it feels like the only way to get people into every bit of content to do together.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:43 PM, Riff Machine said:

I still say that Destiny, to me at least, has always been the best FPS gameplay-wise out there right now.  Granted, I haven't played at all since the previously mentioned season, but It just controls so damn well.  I'm forever grateful for the friends I've made thanks to this game, as well as this group of amazing people, and I owe it to Destiny.

However bad this may all be currently for Destiny, we all know that this statement is so god damn true, even now. That is incredible given how long its been out and how many games have tried and failed to get to their level of gameplay. I think its why I and hopefully others here, will always be open to this game when the time and game feels in the right spot. I would want to see the Light/Dark Saga with as many FGers as possible, regardless of what the next 6 months holds for the game. Kind of feels right to share and make new memories with everyone at such a pivotal moment for the franchise.

Pc or PlayStation
Posted
17 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

That's quite silly of Sony really. I could understand if they didn't want to burden their content servers when users have purchased on Steam/Xbox but Destiny 2 has players download the entire game with DLC ownership merely acting as an authentication element for content. So even if the user doesn't have DLC on that system, the content is still installed anyway. 

Sony are known to be holding on to not going full crossplay for everything as I believe they're nervous on what happens to the market when everything is crossplay. I wouldn't be surprised if we can though at some point in the next couple of years as pressure mounts on them to conform.

DLC wise, it will still be rare that someone plays the actual story content cross different consoles so luckily it doesn't impact many players. Also lucky for Sony as it only pisses off a very small % of players. As time goes on, the DLC should be far cheaper if people wanted to replay through different consoles/platforms.

Pc or PlayStation
Posted
26 minutes ago, techno said:

So I was thinking of moving destiny to pc and see everything crosses over till I noticed lightfall is missing. So reading this I assume then I'd have to buy it for the pc now as well as owning it on ps5, if that's the case hell no.

DLCs are platform specific whereas the seasons and season pass you can buy anyway as that content is then available across all platforms. I think @crispymorgan would be able to confirm if you can save money that way i.e. buy Lightfall DLC for main console/platform you will play it on and then Season Pass can be bought via a Steam Key to save money as it activates across everything.

Thanks for the thoughts @Riff Machine  @techno and @Baabcat. I think we all feel that struggle on these games, especially if you've played them as long as we all have! The good news is that the grind is virtually going away which I think is needed as no one really wants a time sink of one game solidly taking our time away from also experiencing new things. The new player experience and returning one doesn't seem as overwhelming and I've had a look at the Guardian Ranks page myself which looks more inviting then the last update they did to triumphs which I think was a back step so we have things to help us work through the game now.

I agree @Baabcat, that Deep Stone Crypt Raid times were the best. Its still my best raid to date, not for the difficulty but for the experience. So many cool sections and its a relatively straightforward raid to learn with all of us. I think whats great is that it will remain in the game and we should look to get more people into it as the rewards were very good weapons and sometimes it will be on the wekly rotation where if you do need 'higher' gear then it will grant that too.

I feel like if you see the core people here and chose to start playing one night or two nights a week, there would be enough of us to jump on and help each other. I'm not bothered about getting through content ASAP so the timegating issue people have isn't much of a burden. It works in our favour sometimes as we can say 'thats enough for today on Destiny' and switch to other games that some of us are enjoying. We have a huge pool of people not really even experienced hard lost sectors, dungeons and raids and with people like ourselves @Riff Machine  @techno @Baabcat, I think we'd have a right laugh learning and going through stuff together. I'll keep saying it as it feels pretty factual to me - there is nothing that competes with it still in that multiplayer, co-op, objective experience and i'd love to jump on and do a mission or 2 every so often.

Any others that haven't got Destiny like to share what things stop them jumping in to this?

Thanks for the views so far @Luseth @SWAINEY84 and @TurboR56Mini.

@Luseth Matt, its difficult to explain how it used to be for quite a while. Most nights would be a one game thing through the week, as it was with CoD right now. However it used to be Destiny most of the time and then Overwatch other nights. I think the game is in a far better shape where we can chill and talk and not have to feel like we're miles apart becase the game doesn't have FOMO or any grind. Its more about learning techniques on how to play, build a armour set which even i need help with but its far better bouncing off you guys than just looking at a YouTube video. And FG Fridays, i've slacked tbh. They were never normally the same game like the past 6 weeks. You'll find some games can be on one night whereas others, just from experience I know that its easier just to stick up one game. I'll commit to getting the other Fridays up...although we need all round support to get people's butts online to have a laugh. They are still legendary so won't go away from here.

@SWAINEY84, you hit some of the feelings I have. I know this game has actually helped people more in their own life than just playing, like yourself. There's now plenty of options with the Dungeons, Raids and now even the Strikes getting a facelift, that I think just running a few things together would be nice to do as a group.

@TurboR56Mini, thanks for being honest. I think luckily, with raids and Dungeons there isn't really much you need before you go in that needs a heavy grind. FOMO is literally down to how we 'used to play' imo. We used to play so much that it felt like we couldn't have a day off! Now, I've missed so much that I don't care about getting everything, I just want to have the experiences together. In fact even back to Destiny 1, the stuff we remember isn't getting everything, its more the memories of epic laughter whilst doing a raid, or even just crucible together. I'm actually with you on wanting to build cool stuff on Valheim, the point should be we play this alongside other stuff, not to make it feel its the only game that exists at FG. Theres so much to talk about in the game that if all of us played it would give us a different perspective to what we had before now we have most of us starting from scratch or for the first time in ages.

Hear me out for 2 minutes please. I'm really wanting to have a good discussion about it because I honestly feel like there is a game to be played that fits right into our fun happy place without the need to be having to grind or play multiple hours of it and feel 'left behind', etc.

I look at the past feelings about CoD over the years, even money wise, but we keep coming back to that, paying the money and this time round its proven (generally here) that the latest one has been a success. I think a significant part of that is many of us here playing it and having others to group together on it - although I see many here too play solo and be fine with that also.

So, being there still feels no superior competitor to Destiny 2, and given thats it had a pretty big overhaul of the game again just now, what would it take for you to come back? Or even, start playing for the first time? With Discord integrated with Xbox and PS5, we're even closer to crossplay feeling pretty simple now as the chat was the only major blocker for me (now its just PS4s ffs Sony). I'm just really interested in whether or not we could create that buzz and talk again about the game, given there is still loads of different activities to do and especially at Endgame where most here haven't completed any Dungeons (3 players) or Raids (6 players).

So don't hold back, lets chat about it and be open. I feel an FG hole waiting to be filled in 👀 Lets try and be positive and constructive about what we could do together as a community. It could be Guides we could write together, open group up nights, videos, private matches, etc. And the existing ones that still play, give ideas on what you think we could do too!

Looking forward to seeing what we all come up with.

GGFG!

Lightfall DLC First Impressions
Posted
11 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

What's the score with this, choose your difficulty? Do not remember that being in Density.

Last night i bought this dlc on PC, 140 fps on ultra settings, very smooth 👏

The Campaign now has 2 difficulty settings. Normal or Legendary. It came in as a brand new thing with Witch Queen DLC and it stands for me and most others as their best story campaign to date, mainly down to this too. Rewards are more plentiful and jump you up level wise quicker after legendary, but clearly harder combatants to defeat. Legendary also makes you feel like a campaign is worthwhile whereas early D2 days the campaign just seemed to be an intro to the rest of the game. Campaigns should always drive story and other things happening in the entire Destiny 2 world. It scales difficulty too if you are solo, or in a fireteam.

Alongside the campaign is the F2P stuff, and then the current Seasonal stuff linked to the Season Pass. Usually worth around 7/8/9 quid for 3 months of content. Similar to Battle Passes in all other games (so a tier system of rewards) which give you additional missions, activities, exotic missions and other rewards such as Seasonal Weapons and Armour.

Lightfall DLC First Impressions
Posted

That good everyone?! Amazing!

I really miss the chatter on this game. I've installed the update so will start to slowly playthrough the campaign soon. This game is set up now to be played more for fun than grinding your arse off, bored to tears. I think it would give us some great co-op moments still, especially as there is literally nothing out there that can compete with it.

Destiny 2 ViDoc - Lightfall
Posted

First ViDoc since they started these I wasn't blown away by which I suppose is understandable as there isn't much new things in it we already know about.

I've been saying for a while that the new Guardian Ranks is a key bit i'm interested in as it needs to help the new player experience, otherwise this DLC might only last 3-4 weeks for a large population of the D2 crowd. I personally haven't played in a few months and i'm happy i'm on that break. I think based on previous experiences, the DLC will be worth the money from a campaign (as its in the same format as Witch Queen's) and raid perspective for me and the break is good to get me excited for it - I just hope that it is in a good state for new and returning players because I have to admit when I dipped back in before Christmas even I was abit overwhelmed with how I needed to understand where everything was in the game.

3 hours ago, Bubblybrooko said:

Haha, didn't realise it would automatically post the quiz results, wanted to keep them quiet............😆

Just seen I got the same as @Teenwolf25 sorted! 😁

Nah, its all for fun and it reminds people we actually have quite a lot of quizzes that people haven't tried or gone back to! And its always good seeing if you can beat others too for a little slice of FG pride 🤣🤣

Quitter penalty etc
Posted

Agreed with this take @techno  so it was good to see them already reverse the decision to do so. The concept of making good people playing badly stop quitting didn't really work as it hurt more the casual player so they'll have to think of other ways stopping people wanting to quit. I mean, if they really overhauled PvP Comp, which they won't, that would be the only way to make you feel like there are enough gamemodes where people aren't quitting. It happens in most casual PvP modes on other games all the time.

Kings Fall
Posted

Yeah @Venom , on that run we didn't get the 'chasing bomb' option as it was always the Oryx teleport bubble. Although now you should have to keep running anywhere to stop the bombs from hitting you. Running straight up and down is the easiest way. I think D1 it was more organisation as people were so worried that their bomb would hit someone else so people would run around the circles as it was the easiest way to explain it! Funny how we did stuff back in the day now we look back at it.

And thank god for mantle in D2. I don't know how we ever existed to play on D1 without that.

Kings Fall
Posted
13 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

You actually damage Oryx with your own weapons!!  No running around in circles!!  Actual damage phases!!!

Couldn't agree more with this. Its like they've had a second go at making it better and they really nailed it with this one. It is so much fun to run through. Laughing at people screwing up the jumping puzzle is still there too. The other raid encounters also feel pretty decent to run. You do have to work hard to get Warpriest done but I remember we used to get stuck at that part before and it co-ordination of a 6 player team is needed, which is the whole point of a raid.

The armour for the Titan still looks badass. I was lucky to get all armour apart from the Class Item dishcloth.

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy