Alpha 21 - 7 Days To Die
Posted

It's good to be back on 7 days, few games for me strike that nice balance between things to do and fear of dying.

Most of the changes are QOL ones and are genuine are for QOL so the game is nicer to look at and to play now.  The only thing I'm not sure on it the change to books but some of that is confusion on how they work as there seems to be quite an overlap between some books and skills.  Maybe I should spend the next quiet night on the server to read through the book levels and skills and figure this out rather than blindly reading everything 😄 

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Alpha 21 - 7 Days To Die
Posted
38 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I may get chance to jump on this some point this evening, can I check which server I want to be joining? Is it the unmodded one?

Yes, it's an unmodded server 🙂  Sent you the server details on whatsapp as probably not a good idea posting IP and password publicly 🙂 

7 Days - a new chapter
Posted

I’ll check it out next time I’m on 🙂 

On the subject of buildiings, I’ve unlocked tier 4 quests and the first one I have is for the building opposite our base that we’ve used for horde night in the past.  So no matter how bad the building gets, it will magically be fixed soon 😄 

7 Days - a new chapter
Posted

So my first idea for a base didn’t work 😞 turns out zombies can easily walk over steep slopes now so that ideas out.

I haven’t tried the second idea out yet as I messed up something in my test world I think as I changed the time to horde night but nothing happened.

I agree with you though @tronic44 I’ve been focusing on meat and veg stew as it’s all I’ve unlocked in masterchef.  But as you said, good to build up a stock so everyone has some food on them so we aren’t all starving.  Definitely need to diversify though, especially as some foods offer nice perks.

7 Days - a new chapter
Posted

I liked the base we had with giant hole in the middle.  It seemed to work well for horde night and I’ve got an idea on a variation of that style base.

I’ve also got an idea for a different type of base too.  So off to a creative world I go!

7 Days - a new chapter
Posted

Nice one Phil.

I maxxed my farming yesterday so can make any seeds and get 3x when harvesting.  So I think my current plan is to try and extend the farm so we’re growing enough crops we don’t have to constantly go out hunting.

I’ve been a but jack of all trades outside of that, putting some points in to mining, hunting and pummelling so I could do the basics of each.

I was going to focus on mining but not sure that necessary right now with you and Dave on it so might put points elsewhere.

Engineering and traps would probably make the most sense but depends what others have spent their points on already.

7 Days to Alpha 20
Posted

Sounds like a decent amount of changes going on with this alpha.  I especially like the vehicle mods to have 2 people on a bike or 4 in the 4x4.

I’m not sure about the less ammo in loot crates though.  It was hard enough to get enough ammo for horde night as it was.  Hopefully there’s been some balancing done elsehwere to compensate for this.

7 Days to Alpha 20
Posted

Were you in the party when I mentioned it to Macca?  I didn't think to actually check when the next release was though.

I'll have to watch the video to see what's new but maybe time for another play through.

7DTD: FG Dedi Server - Darkness Falls
Posted

So first horde night done and well it was ...... interesting.

We spent on the roof of another building to not risk what we’ve gathered so far.  Someone (Crispy or Rich) joked about the town we’re in being decimated as we spend each horde night on a different building.  Turns out they were right, right at the end of horde night the building collapsed!  As it turns out, horde night is harder because the modded zombies (the ones on the menu screen) come out but zombies also regain health on horde night!

It’s a hard one, we obviously need a proper base to have a chance of surviving horde night but ifs going to be a while until we can think about building a base.

Posted

There's elements that are harder; for example clearing out the building we're on top of had 3 irradiated zombies in which is crazy for day 2.  Though on the hand, things like food seems a easier with the amount of oranges, tomatos, carrots etc you can find in the world.  Though food is an issue currently but it always seems to be at the start of 7dtd so I'd agree on balance the easier and harder evens out so far.  Though I can see it potentially being more resource intensive to get things  but we shall see.

For reference, I chose scavenger and security to begin with.

@tronic44 If you went hunter, does that give you more meat like in vanilla?  I'm wondering if it would be best then for you to have the rifle so you can more easily take down bigger animals.

Posted

Who are you kdding Rich with won’t always have to drive back? I’ve been looting with people we drive the car to go next door 🤣

It would be good to have a walk in entrance though I think it’s a little in flux until we’ve settled on the design off the base, the height of the walls, how many walls, wall thickness, are we putting bars on top of the trap trenches etc.

I agree with the storage though the original base plan was to have bulk storage and forges on the bottom floor of the base for the most common things like stone, clay, wood and smelting iron, steel etc.  With the forges in their current position for adhoc stuff like brass which we never have enough of for bulk or suddenly needing more of a resource.

I think the current set up is being used though because a) people are lazy but also b) because we’re still building and figuring out the base we’re using  alot of resources and time so aren’t getting a backlog of resources to need bulk storage yet.  Though I think (hope) we will soon as the base is getting through horde nights a little less damaged these days.

Then we can move on to doing it all again when building secondary bases around the map 😆

Posted

So yeah, horde night 91 didn't go too well again.  Traps not down and not enough ammo makes horde night hard!  Most of the night wasn't too bad as the zombies for some reason decided to focus on trying to dig under the perimeter wall making it easy to burn them all with molotovs.  Eventually their focus turned though and they managed to get through the 3 wide hardened concrete wall with a couple getting in to the base.  Thankfully this was at the end of horde night so was a relatively easy job of mopping up the few stragglers.  So I straight away set to crafting 20 something blade traps and I know Lee has put some (all?) of them down so hopefully with them down, maybe some other traps and some spikes the base will fair a bit better come the next horde night.  Maybe even worth upgrading as much of the inner most 3 wide wall to steel reinforced concrete being is our last line of defence.

5 hours ago, tronic44 said:

Just wanted to say thank you all for throwing yourselves into this game, i've always enjoyed it but playing with this many of you has been brilliant. We now have over 10 people who play, so over the next month or so we will look into upgrading the server more and allowing more people on at a time.

GGFG and thank you to you too for running the server for as long as it took for us lot to realise how good the game is.

I don't know what it is about this time but I'm enjoying it a lot more than previous times we've played.  But a bigger/better server is always a good thing, it would be awesome one horde night if we could get everyone on.  Though maybe once we have a decent array of traps and a good supply of bullet 😆

Posted

Nice update Lee 👍 It’s good to know the base held up pretty well especially as  with 5 of you the horde would be pretty large.  It is time to focus on traps but I don’t know if we can make enough before the next one but we can try.

Though on the trap front, the walls were built with 3x3 traps in mind but due to the needed thickening of our base wall the trench is now only 5 wide.  So we’ll need to rethink our trap design.  Which isn’t a bad thing as we probably should use a mix if traps and turrets.

On the ammo front, I managed to get on for a little before gt sport wednesday and last night and just looting.  With some help from Crispy and Rich Plenty of brass, door knobs and radiators found 🙂 I think by the end of last night we had ~1600 bullet casings with enough brass melting down to maybe double that.  With time for more looting before the next horde too.  Now just turn all the casings in to bullets.

Now I’ve also maxxed lucky looter and with a few books read.  Even though I occasionally use bullets while looting, I always seem to come back with more than I left which is a bonus.

New base discussion
Posted
59 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

We ought to consider the bait guard tower idea as well, say on two diagonal corners

Depends if we can throw molotov’s through iron bars.  As that would allow us to walk over the whole base.  Also might help stop jumpers - though we’d have to make sure they can’t jump on top of the iron bars with us.

Glad the gaps / path finding works.  Time to make lots of traps for next time.

New base discussion
Posted

This thread isn’t meant so much as a this is what is happening, more communicate the ideas we’ve had so anyone can join in the build without needing everything verbally explained.

A garage would be cool, I can add it to the image later so we have a rough idea of where we would need to dig.  I assume the garage would connect with floor 1 or were you thinking depeer?

The spinning blades were just used as it’s easy to make a visual representation of them but the trenches could be filled with any traps you want.  

Can the auto turrents shoot down? If so, could we place them on the walls? especially the outside wall so they could start shooting new waves coming in.

As for watch towers, that’s a good idea.  If we can’t throw molotov through iron bars we will need places to stand out over the traps so that could be the solution.

New base discussion
Posted

So work has started on the new base in earnest and there is quite a bit of the walls built already but I know a few people don't know about the new base and the plan so of course I thought I'd create a pretty picture.

The basic walls are in place though for the most part, though a lot of blocks are still cobblestone blocks so need upgrading to concrete and hardened concrete.  There are forge's and cement mixers on the second level with a few small storage crates full of stone, sand and clay  for us to make the materials to upgrade blocks.  There is also food, drink etc. and nailguns which are the best tool for upgrading blocks.

The basic plan is that there will be walls with mis-aligned gaps in so zombies will try and path find to us in the middle and make them walk passed lots of traps.  I don't know what we could put in the corners with the question marks? Originally I was thinking traps but I don't think they would be much use - maybe the auto gun turrets? what's the range on them does anyone know?  There is also the thought we could over all the traps with iron bars so we could shoot down on the zombies but I don't know if you can through molotov's and grenades through iron bars.

The base could be expanded further too if we need it to include more walls, traps, spikes etc.  Though I'm thinking that we should probably leave the base as it to see how it copes with a horde night.

I've also included a side view of the base so people know the floor;#

Floor 1 is bedrooms; Not really useful in this game but nice to have a little personalised area of the base.

Floor 2 This has a few forges, workbenches and cement mixers on which are being used currently.  I think the plan is for some of these to stay there to be used ad hoc for crafting with a little storage of things to be used for these ad-hoc crafting.

Floor 3 Bulk storage and bulk crafting.  Certain items like stone, clay etc. we will get lots more of than other resources so all the additional stuff can be stored down there.  With forges dedicated to smelting iron, lead etc.

This is from @phil bottle plan so I'm hoping I have got it correct but I don't think any one is precious about the plans so any input is welcome.

On this still be to worked out is a garage, we keep picking up vehicles come horde night but it would be good to have somewhere proper to store all our vehicles.

7dtd Base map.jpg

Posted

Yup, we got back eventually- third times the charm.  Though I’m not sure the death was random, I’m pretty sure it had something to do with @RedXIII driving off a cliff.  The fact I said it was fine to drive off a cliff earlier should not be taken in to consideration 🤣

@Plumbers Crack and I had a good mining session yesterday, loads of lead as we had none.  The trees had all fully grown too so cut them all down for about 10k wood.

After refuelling most of the vehicles were we down to our last few thousand gas cans so took a trip to the desert. Thank you @crispymorgan  for your lovely map as 4km east is a lot easier than almost 8 going SE.  We found a large shale vein just inside the deset as it looks like 2 spawned right next to each other.  Dave dug the one while I took the other.  The mining was all going quite well until I caused a small cave in which dominoed quite spectacularly to bring the entire roof down - oops.  So now we have more of an open quarry than a mine for shale 🤣  Still we got enough shale for Lee to make something like 500k gas cans with some shale left over so we are definitely good for gas for a while.

During all of this I wrenched a few cars, did a quest so managed to find enough brass to make some bullet casing.  So that’s a few hundred more 7.62’a for horde night.

On the brass front, it occurred to me that once we have the under ground base built and filled with traps we should use less bullets come horde night.  Might be obviously but was a duh moment for me when I realised it.

7 Days FG Server Map Collation
Posted
12 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:
KUI.GITHUB.IO

Map renderer for 7 Day to Die Alpha 17

Surely that will reveal the whole world rather than just where we’ve been? Which would ruin the point of exploring.

@GazzaGarratt I’m happy to do it.

It will take several snips to cover the areas peope have been to.  But if people post as many snips as required (with a little overlap so I can piece them together).  I can overlay all our maps to make a combined one.

As we explore more, if people provide updates I can keep the overall map updated too.

Posted

It seemed silly to make more vehicles when we couldn’t fuel them.  Now we have a desert and Anna and I collected enough oil shale for 25k+ gas cans I think we can go ham on vehicles 😄 I do love the 4x4’s for looting as it has so much storage.

I’d also say leave tbe garage for now, it isn’t too bad to pick the vehicles up and we can build a garage as part of the new base.  

Steel clubs are great, as anna said I can make them.  Though we need more steel club parts @GazzaGarratt can you buy them from ther trader as you get the best deal.  I can only make level 1 clubs at the moment but I’ll do some looting and mining to put a some points in to making higher level clubs.

@craftofboredom  I’ll be around today though possibly going to see my sister today (depends on my nephew) but outside of that happy to do some looting.  I think quests are a good way to do it, bonus xp and we can double loot every house then too.

Posted
18 hours ago, Diddums said:

What perk is it? I'll need to pick some too and I do love a good knob. 

I read it in a book but I think all perks you get from books can be unlocked with points.  The books just unlock stuff earlier than you might with points.  I don’t know what perk it is but  it isn’t something I thought of before.  It’s worth looking in to though as it may mean you could get it without needing to find a book.

Horde night for me was interesting 🤣 I took the gyrocopter to uncover some of the map and see if I could find a desert.  I got distracted by some huge mountains and one that looked like a stereotypical kids drawing of a volcano with a massive caldera.  Which I promptly crashed into obviously.  With no way to fly the gyrocopter out the only option was digging...lots and lots of digging.  Contrary to other peoples opinion I should just die and respawn, while I had food and repair kits I was going to try and get out.  About 18 hours in game, totally missing horde night, and almost 30k stone later I found freedom.  On the side of a mountain, I quickly built a platform form to put the gyrocopter down and fly back.  For halfway home to accidentally press e and get out the gyrocopter and fall to my death.  At least I now spawned on my bed, pick up a motorbike and off I went to get my backpack contents and gyrocopter back.

Following on from this Anna and I did some looting and some mining.  So we’re decently stocked on coal and nitrate.  I think next time I’m on I’ll focus on iron and lead.

More importantly we decided on a new base which I believe Phil has started work on.  We decided on an underground base that has a hole in the middle for the zombies to fall in to in horde night.  The location is on the outskirts of town, north of the trader as a lot of the rest of the map is very hilly and we can carry on looting the rest of the town.

Now just to find a desert so we can fuel all our vehicles properly.

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy