Saints Row

Another franchise probably ruined by clueless developers

I know a lot of people probably don't play this franchise here but this departure is absolutely horrendous - imagine something like GTA turning into anime - that's how shocking this is. Trailer is pure cringe and full of stereotypical hipster tropes that have been way overused in recent years. 

I read some positive reviews and seen some "on the fence" ones.  It seems to be catered more to fans of the 2nd and 3rd game from what I've read.  I pre-ordered it, @Rumelylady and I are fans of the series, so I'll be interested to see how this one plays.  I just hope it doesn't run shitty like outriders.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

After playing through the initial bit of it, It's definetly saints row.  It's plays pretty much like the previous games in the series and in all honesty, doesn't look any better than those said versions.  I'm really disappointed they didn't try to create some new assets like fonts, or imagery for this "remake/reboot."  Right off the bat, when I seen the same ole saints row font on all the in game menus, I knew right then that this was just gonna be "more of the same."  

It's been fun at least.  I will give it that.  It still has that SR charm, but I expected a lot more from something touted as a "next-gen reboot" of the series.

At least I didn't pay full price for it.  Lucky me! 🤪

I've watched quite a bit of gameplay footage over the last couple of days and some of the writing has to be the worst I have ever seen in any type of entertainment media ever. Many have described the script as written by a typical Twitter user and others have said it's been seemingly written by an AI. I think both are quite accurate descriptions and from what I've seen, I think the majority of non-writers of all ages and backgrounds could do a better job. A far cry from the source material which was hilarious, offensive and really made the characters memorable. 

I don't know where the hell they get these so called 'writers' from but the most hilariously tragic thing of all is they have Reddit and Discord mods named in the end credits which sums it up perfectly😂

FbAZeqVXkAAdFlW?format=jpg&name=small

A couple of these have apparently made some very nawty statements and have deleted stacks of community contributions because they personally didn't like it.  The developers also seem to be getting very angry at the community for pointing out bad things of the game such as gamebreaking bugs. 

My biggest disappointment with this is that it feels like something from 2006.  My biggest complaint so far, aside from all the damn bugs and glitches, is when enemies just spawn directly in front of you at any given time!!!  I cannot believe that the people at Volition still think this kind of game system is good.  For example, There's a line of missions where you have to kill a bunch of drug runners around a food truck, steal said truck and transport it back to your business venture.  I get that if enemies are patrolling around and see me, fine.  I'm busted and have to deal with it.  But every 2 seconds, an enemy vans spawn right in front of you!  And not just one, at least three minimum!  It's ridiculous,  and even when you deal with that group, several more spawn along the way.  

There's a lot that I'm enjoying about the game, but calling this a reboot or remake of the franchise was a total lie. 

No wonder they're giving credit to discord and reddit mods.  They have to deal with all the complaints about this fucking game.

I'm at the 75% cleared mark in this game, and I just have no desire to finish it.  Such a shame.  Anyone want a cheap (FREE) PS% copy of Saints Row 2022?  😂🤪

I am playing this on and off at the moment, I think it's fine as a big sandbox to play about with but this feels more akin to Saints Row 4 rather than the reboot that people were hoping for i.e. Saints Row 2 & 3.

I am finding this a lot with big titles at the moment that they head in one direction and get too far down the road before they realise they are getting things incredibly wrong. By then it's difficult for them to find their way back (battlefield & Final Fantasy are 2 other franchises that I am fond of that have done the same thing).

I will complete it I am sure but it's not keeping me gripped 100% of my gaming time and that's when I know a game's decent ^_^

Luseth.png

• J4MES OX4D changed the title to Saints Row

Go woke, go broke strikes again

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Volition Games, the studio best known for its work on the Saints Row series, has been closed down "effective immediatel…

30 years and a monumental budget down the shitter thanks to awful design decisions.

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Go woke, go broke strikes again

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Volition Games, the studio best known for its work on the Saints Row series, has been closed down "effective immediatel…

30 years and a monumental budget down the shitter thanks to awful design decisions.

You're generally good at researching stuff. It's a little more nuanced than the facile  'go woke, go broke'. Check out Embracer and what they've been up to in recent times and why they might be closing studios, if you're interested.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

You're generally good at researching stuff. It's a little more nuanced than the facile  'go woke, go broke'. Check out Embracer and what they've been up to in recent times and why they might be closing studios, if you're interested.

Volition were always on thin ice after Agents of Mayhem. They were then given a reprieve and a huge budget for a new Saints Row game and then general feel from the community and their veteran developers was this was the last chance saloon. They made a catastrophic tonal change that did not resonate with the massive community and many longstanding fans had their points instantly dismissed so it created a lot of friction on either side. Embracer who have got themselves into some pickles of late likely did not want to continue paying 150-odd full time employees and then bankroll another future flop. If they had just made a traditional Saints Row game instead of going all vegetarian Watch Dogs then they probably would've been fine but this rebranding was always going to be poorly received. 

What also didn't help and just like Disney these days, the people they hired had no respect for the brand or the source material which makes it an incredibly hard sell.