Resident Evil 4 Remake

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I look forward to playing in in a year or so, it does look decent, but still not paying full price for a game I've already played to death.

I can pretty much get it for £41 but I'll still probably wait until summer or later. I didn't play Village until way after it released and I'm in no real rush to grab this. Something to look forward to though but I currently feel more like playing through the original with the HD Project mod next. 

I grabbed the remake a couple of days ago as I got a good deal with a voucher and had some spare time over Easter. So far so good and a very faithful remake. It's a much tougher game than the original - as the controls are significantly improved, they now throw more aggressive, faster and greater number of enemies at you to compensate the difference and it works. A couple of very tough sections in the first few hours that were fairly routine in its predecessor. I don't think the puzzles are as good in this one (so far) and some of the voice acting from a couple of characters is noticeably weaker but it's still great to see how things have changed and/or been improved in areas. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett 

56 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I grabbed the remake a couple of days ago as I got a good deal with a voucher and had some spare time over Easter. So far so good and a very faithful remake. It's a much tougher game than the original - as the controls are significantly improved, they now throw more aggressive, faster and greater number of enemies at you to compensate the difference and it works. A couple of very tough sections in the first few hours that were fairly routine in its predecessor. I don't think the puzzles are as good in this one (so far) and some of the voice acting from a couple of characters is noticeably weaker but it's still great to see how things have changed and/or been improved in areas. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett 

Is it true they've added features to encourage microtransactions?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 4/10/2023 at 10:29 AM, phil bottle said:

Is it true they've added features to encourage microtransactions?

They've basically added some minor backdoor microtranscations it seems but you play the game properly and you wont even notice or need them. I think they are for upgrades and stuff which can be earned quite easily by playing so I can't understand why anyone would want or need these. Stinks of something Ubisoft would do and have already done with their Assassins Creed titles. Thankfully I haven't seen anything in-game regarding these or a store so it's not noticeable whatsoever. Silly from Capcom though.

I've seen this is actually been a great remaster across the board and its funny that Capcom seems to be the only one that can really nail these remasters. This has the Mercenaries mode too doesn't it?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I'm going to wait for this to go on sale before I grab it.  I still feel 4 didn't need the remake treatment, considering they already released an upscale version of the classic version on last-gen consoles.  I honestly wished they gave RE:CV the remake over 4.  I'm glad you managed to snag it for cheap @J4MES OX4D

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Finished the game the other day after about 19 hours - not sure how as the game didn't feel longer compared to the first which usually took me about 14 but it was by some margin it seems. Really enjoyed it overall and clearly a lot of work went into updating sections in terms of detail. Some things were cut which was a surprise but others were more fleshed out. Enemies are much tougher especially in groups to compensate the improved controls although some puzzles were missing and others weren't done quite so well. This game kinda feels like an alternative to sit aside the original rather than something to replace it. I still don't think you can beat the first as it was such a masterpiece and this one by today's standards is an excellent game in its own right but I don't think it will have the same long-term impact. A couple of the characters were significantly weaker by design and voice and I don't think some of the interior world design was as strong in some locations. I do like how they made Ashley more human but at the same time the game also lost a bit of its personality and character banter. 

This video is also telling - the title may seem harsh but it really puts into perspective how good the original was in terms of atmosphere and style. Doesn't take anything away from the remake though as its still one of the best to be produced. If anything it just shows how good the original was and still is to this day. 

Just finished the DLC after just shy of 6 hours and for £8 it's a remarkable return. Although there are a few familiar areas, there is plenty of entertaining combat encounters and few new mechanics. The story is a really nice alternative perspective that fills in holes and sits side by side with Leon's progress. You see him a few times and can always work out where the narrative is between both characters. Incredible value for money especially when you have cocks like Activision charging £24.99 for some stupid coloured gun and ghastly skin.