Windows 11

J4MES OX4D

zyVbUadgdCMF66LuN3cMge.jpg

Probably wont be Windows 11 or a totally new version but it'll be the most significant upgrade since Win 10. As long as they don't come out with any bullshit then I can't see any reason why there wont be a smooth transition. So many users left themselves behind with Windows 7 after some questions were raised when 10 arrived so they can't have a repeat of that. 

It has been a while for an OS update so it would be good to see whats in store....I wonder if it'll be more integrated with social media (I hope not) as that's the way most of the world spins.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

There is thankfully a dark mode and you can shift around taskbar icons. What will happen is 99.9% of users will just revert back to their familiar Windows 10 interface

E38prmBWUAAy-RN?format=jpg&name=large

I do quite like the layout and icon style - Windows 10 is currently a mash up of Windows 7 with some Windows 8 panes/tiles in places. 

yeah you can make it more "traditional" but still look at all that wasted space on the start menu, you have less programs on a bigger/more spaced out menu(granted i have beef with most new ui/ux designs because they are insulting imo thinking that we are toddlers and we want big pictures with no reading and as a result sites like imdb have become borderline useless) and you have to click more to see all the programs you have installed instead of the list that we have until now, also the recommended space was until windows 7 a small list with your last accesses stuff and not this gigantic thing

i really hope i can tailor it to how i want without resorting to 3rd party programs

12 minutes ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

...(granted i have beef with most new ui/ux designs because they are insulting imo thinking that we are toddlers and we want big pictures with no reading and as a result sites like imdb have become borderline useless)...

Hahaha... Honestly, from my perspective on the people I work with, yes. The lowest common denominator in their user/client base need to be treated like toddlers. Because they act like f*cking toddlers.

I have worked with C-level Executives/Owners of companies/Founders of companies/multi-millionaires/multi-billionaires for over 15 years of my life so far. Do you know what makes me good at my job and constantly head-hunted? I treat my executives like toddlers. If I can't trust a 5-year with something, it's not dumbed down enough.

Everything I give them is color coordinated, labeled, spelled out, giant font, and with pictures

Because 99.999999% of Executives are f*cking idiots when it comes to looking at anything digital... and well, anything else really. I have seen people climb ranks in companies, and the moment they start to manage people, they immediately start to get dumb on how to work basically anything. 

I have been called into conference rooms because they don't even know how to turn on lights. TURN ON THE F*CKING LIGHTS. Or close the shades... or even put things on the conference room TV.

So, yes. Toddlers.

I'm not saying it's a great thing. I think it's how we get more stupid people. But, it also gives me and most people in IT job security because stupid people.

i genuinely can't understand living in such a technologically advanced age and with computers everywhere and not even being able to grasp the fundamentals, but maybe i am the odd one since i liked tech and pcs from when i was very young and have been using them for most of my life, but yeah i have similar experiences from helping family and friends with anything technological, still i can't get used to it

12 hours ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

yeah you can make it more "traditional" but still look at all that wasted space on the start menu, you have less programs on a bigger/more spaced out menu(granted i have beef with most new ui/ux designs because they are insulting imo thinking that we are toddlers and we want big pictures with no reading and as a result sites like imdb have become borderline useless) and you have to click more to see all the programs you have installed instead of the list that we have until now, also the recommended space was until windows 7 a small list with your last accesses stuff and not this gigantic thing

i really hope i can tailor it to how i want without resorting to 3rd party programs

My pet hate is bad UI's but I don't think it looks too bad on W11 - seems to be pretty clean rather than being bloated with big panels and then a long drop-down list of programs which can be quite convoluted as we see in Windows 10. Hopefully there will be scaling, icon-type and size options available so we can customise it to the tune we want.  I hope the 'Recommended' section can be removed/tweaked though as I hate these forced curated sections as they don't make sense or contain stuff I'd never use. That does seem to take up needless space. 

18 hours ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

i genuinely can't understand living in such a technologically advanced age and with computers everywhere and not even being able to grasp the fundamentals, but maybe i am the odd one since i liked tech and pcs from when i was very young and have been using them for most of my life, but yeah i have similar experiences from helping family and friends with anything technological, still i can't get used to it

Agreed. I find it odd that with all the computer stuff around us that people, in general, can't grasp the basics. But, on the other hand, I, like you, like tech and grew up with it. For me, there's a baby photo of me in front of a computer. I was taught Lotus 1-2-3. I was sent with my cousins during summer vacation as kids to do computer maintenance on all the computers in our family business. We're the ones who upgraded computers, installed whatever the new OS was, made sure all the drivers were up to date, and whatever else before we could go play.

I'll give the older generation a pass because they didn't grow up with it. But, I constantly make fun of my friends who can only turn on their PC lol.

What's both interesting and a little scary is that the pre-teens and teenagers now are learning coding languages I dabbled in while I was in college. It's childplay now lol.

so a tablet/touch focused ui again, because the 1st time went great with 8 and it requires tpm 2.0 which i don't think i have so...

the only cool stuff is the directstorage and the autohdr if you have a hdr monitor

they also are going to shove teams down our throat like with skype it seems

generally very meh for me

it sucks so much that linux is nowhere near being as complete as windows is and without having to become a "programmer", if it was my job i would be fine with it but i can't be arsed spending so much time trying to make it work to unwind

LxuTyQYmM5V5PmQ3Pq8ns7-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

If your PC can handle it, Microsoft has confirmed that licensed Windows 10 users will be able to upgrade for free.

Much needed Store overhaul too - it looks cleaner and fairly well organised which is a surprise as the old store was a convoluted bag of shite. 

2usPnvXAC8iCQoNoi4xvbm.gif

On 7/8/2021 at 12:48 PM, J4MES OX4D said:
7d608235ea5a3d74f8308854a7cabf2f-1200-80
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

That's not really an upgrade at all.

No but it’s sensible given the time since W7

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork