Angry Joe's review

Diddums

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34  minutes is more than I care to invest, but I watched the first 1/4.

Serious question:  Who the fuck cares that side window glass breaks realistically?  Or that you can put a boot print on the snow on the hood of a car?  That's not fun.  That's "huh, that's neat, time to move on" at best.  The amount of time spent programming fluffy bullshit like that vs actual game content?  Come on.

I think of the games I've enjoyed the most over the past few years, and none of them had anything more than marks on a wall for bullet holes, useful for test firing a gun and that's enough.  Skyrim, as a counterpoint, had a SHIT TON OF VARIED CONTENT vs fluffy bullshit.  Fallout has a SHIT TON OF VARIED CONTENT vs fluffy bullshit.  Are there just no new ideas for MP games so we're relying on graphics and fluffy bullshit to sell them?

34  minutes is more than I care to invest, but I watched the first 1/4.

Serious question:  Who the fuck cares that side window glass breaks realistically?  Or that you can put a boot print on the snow on the hood of a car?  That's not fun.  That's "huh, that's neat, time to move on" at best.  The amount of time spent programming fluffy bullshit like that vs actual game content?  Come on.

I think of the games I've enjoyed the most over the past few years, and none of them had anything more than marks on a wall for bullet holes, useful for test firing a gun and that's enough.  Skyrim, as a counterpoint, had a SHIT TON OF VARIED CONTENT vs fluffy bullshit.  Fallout has a SHIT TON OF VARIED CONTENT vs fluffy bullshit.  Are there just no new ideas for MP games so we're relying on graphics and fluffy bullshit to sell them?

Partially, yes, I think you are correct.

Personally I don't really care what the reviews state, The Division was a lot of fun in Beta, and I could see myself dropping a good 80-100 hours in it, If not more

Hell I spent this on Destiny:

547h - 38h deleted characters

Makes up 3 weeks 1 day 19 hours 41 minutes 21 seconds.

3 active and 2 deleted characters.

And I was actively hating Destiny at the end of it all. So what does that say LOL

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Partially, yes, I think you are correct.

Personally I don't really care what the reviews state, The Division was a lot of fun in Beta, and I could see myself dropping a good 80-100 hours in it, If not more

Hell I spent this on Destiny:

547h - 38h deleted characters

Makes up 3 weeks 1 day 19 hours 41 minutes 21 seconds.

3 active and 2 deleted characters.

And I was actively hating Destiny at the end of it all. So what does that say LOL

Did you once notice the lack of footprints or think "gosh, this game would be so much more fun if I could shoot the glass out of those lanterns in a realistic fashion" at some point?

Destiny relies on the Diablo game mechanics.  Do the same shit repeatedly for better drops to do more shit repeatedly for better drops  AND you can only save progress periodically.  Diablo perfected that Carrot/Stick approach to videogaming and it was a lot of fun even though it was repetitive.  Destiny for me was fun once I hit level 40 and then right up until I needed a full team to get better gear.  The problem is, since Diablo pretty well perfected the Carrot/Stick with random drops and occasional saves back about 20 years ago...now we're just adding fluffy bullshit.  The game is average because it's the same damn thing, just dressed up differently.

For me, games I'm interested in now either need a good story (Last of Us, Uncharted) so it's like a playable movie, carrot/stick (preferably with numbers I can watch go up), or be a sandbox type game with a shit ton of varied content.  I don't care if there's 17 types of grass tiles or if there's lens flare or if the rain hits the pond's surface and causes ripples to expand just like in real life.  I want to blast alien faces, get cool loot, and make decisions that matter.

Brutal score but a fair and entertaining review as usual from Angry Joe. The one problem he experienced in regards to the graphics was likely down to his drivers and not to do with the game but everything else was spot on in respect to his criteria.

Ubisoft do value his opinion along with a few other reviewers who have identified flaws with the concept and game as a whole so hopefully they'll take on board any complaints generated by them and the wider community and learn some lessons. 

Ubisoft do value his opinion along with a few other reviewers who have identified flaws with the concept and game as a whole so hopefully they'll take on board any complaints generated by them and the wider community and learn some lessons.

That's what I'd like to see too.

Loved Joes review very entertaining as always but I didn't expect such a low score before the video.

Have to say footprints etc matter not a damn.

That's what happens when you get PC people reviewing stuff. For years they'd spend a few hundred on a GPU which would give them fluffy hair or some shit and it'd be totes amazeballs and no console could touch it. Nowadays however the consoles are quite good and devs aren't pushing PC tech as much as they should so the gap is much narrower, but most PC folks are still in that mindset of looking at the details to justify them spending a billionty pounds on fifteen graphics cards so they can watch a chick's arse wiggle as she walks.

banlol.png

most PC folks are still in that mindset of looking at the details to justify them spending a billionty pounds on fifteen graphics cards so they can watch a chick's arse wiggle as she walks.

You better believe it buddy :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

If I am going to spend 40 hours in a game, with an ass front and center the entire time, it is going to be a nice ass

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Details like the bootprints, tire deflation, and shattering glass add to immersion. Those aren't the kinds of things that will make a bad game good, but they'll make a good game better. I certainly wouldn't view them as a bad thing and I seriously doubt that the removal of those details would have resulted in additional content. The detail strikes me as game engine type shit, versus content which is people, places, things, and events utilizing said game engine. I'd imagine they are two totally different teams and you wouldn't tell the particle physics guy to go work on a boss encounter and vice versa.

The lack of content comes down to: 1) Ubi refused to delay release to give programmers time to generate the content 2) content is deliberately withheld and/or delayed so that it can be released as a steady flow rather than one huge loot drop. I'd say the latter. If they can keep you playing long enough, you'll recover from the $60 blow to your wallet and be ready to buy some DLC.

This business model is BS IMO. Want to release content in a steady trickle, then charge people in a steady trickle.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Doesn't make it right though. Sadly as gamers we just sit back and let them shaft us over and over, Destiny was a prime example of this.

The game you are playing again?

:lol:

But seriously, this is one of the reasons I never buy games at release anymore, and always advise folks against doing it

I bought this game and played for about a couple of days. After getting past the sluggish third person view, I thought this game was meh. It was really easy to put it down and do something else.

I guess I'm not a fan of the idea of always hiding behind cover and bulletsponge bosses in sluggish third person view.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait for Destiny update to see what they release. I might go back to destiny. Playing the division really opened my eyes to how great destiny actually was.

Details like the bootprints, tire deflation, and shattering glass add to immersion. Those aren't the kinds of things that will make a bad game good, but they'll make a good game better. I certainly wouldn't view them as a bad thing and I seriously doubt that the removal of those details would have resulted in additional content. The detail strikes me as game engine type shit, versus content which is people, places, things, and events utilizing said game engine. I'd imagine they are two totally different teams and you wouldn't tell the particle physics guy to go work on a boss encounter and vice versa.

The lack of content comes down to: 1) Ubi refused to delay release to give programmers time to generate the content 2) content is deliberately withheld and/or delayed so that it can be released as a steady flow rather than one huge loot drop. I'd say the latter. If they can keep you playing long enough, you'll recover from the $60 blow to your wallet and be ready to buy some DLC.

This business model is BS IMO. Want to release content in a steady trickle, then charge people in a steady trickle.

Any given project has limited time, talent, and treasure.  A dollar and an hour spent on tire deflation is a dollar and hour not spent on something else.  I got immersed in Skyrim because it was freaking awesome.  I got immersed in the Last of Us because it was a compelling story. 

Things like tire deflation are something you look at once, say "neat" and then go on to promptly forget and play the game.  Things like shitty jump mechanics, an "X does everything" or the like...that ruins immersion.  I'll make exceptions for games like Battlefield where destroying the environment plays into the game's tactics.  An aquarium you can shoot and make the fish flop out just because HA!  Fish flopping! is pointless fluffy bullshit.

People/Companies do what they are rewarded to do and stop doing what they are punished for doing.  If good reviews and good sales follow pointless fluffy bullshit, then pointless fluffy bullshit sells games and we'll continue to put time/talent/treasure into pointless fluffy bullshit.  If no one cares about pointless fluffy bullshit and instead review and purchase based on, say, good voice acting following a well written script for a compelling story line...then that's what you'll get more of.

Any given project has limited time, talent, and treasure. A dollar and an hour spent on tire deflation is a dollar and hour not spent on something else.

Disagree. It can also be a dollar an hour not spent at all, in which case, I'll take the fluff along with the same amount of content I'm getting anyway. It's obvious Ubi's plan is to meter it out a little at a time.

People/Companies do what they are rewarded to do and stop doing what they are punished for doing. If good reviews and good sales follow pointless fluffy bullshit, then pointless fluffy bullshit sells games and we'll continue to put time/talent/treasure into pointless fluffy bullshit. If no one cares about pointless fluffy bullshit and instead review and purchase based on, say, good voice acting following a well written script for a compelling story line...then that's what you'll get more of.

Your catch-all pointless fluffy bullshit phrase is meaningless. To many people voice acting and even story are pointless fluffy bullshit. It's completely subjective. The only way to evaluate a game is as a whole. The lighting in Witcher 3 is incredible. This has to be pointless fluffy bullshit by your definition. To suggest that the lighting does not enhance the experience of playing Witcher 3 is silly. It's a phenomenal game because the sum of its parts make it so. It has a shit load of content, over 300 hours worth, it wouldn't benefit in he slightest from additional content. But the lighting... Is everywhere, there in all that you do, making those 300 hours even better and more immersive.

Details are good. Content is good. Details + Content = Even Better

$.02

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.