Angry Joe's review

Diddums

Your catch-all pointless fluffy bullshit phrase is meaningless. To many people voice acting and even story are pointless fluffy bullshit. It's completely subjective.

Meaningless?  Nah.   Subjective, sure.

I will note you didn't buy Division, the game that spawned my comments, so the fluffy bullshit wasn't enough of a draw to get your dollars vs the other perceived shortcomings of the game.  

You and I tend to enjoy the same sorts of games.  How many on your top 30 list are there because of physics and breakable environments that added nothing to game play (again, not Battlefield) but added to realism/immersion/whatevs?  Would Dark Souls have been better if you could break lanterns?  Would you have spent more time on ME3 if Banshees bled more realistically?

There's nothing inherently wrong with better graphics and inclusion of fluffy bullshit.  It's just that it's often a crutch for not actually being fun. It's "better" because it's cosmetically superior. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "fluffy bullshit" makes significant difference to the experience. You used skyrim as an example.

I played skyrim on the PS3, then I played skyrim on my PC. The "fluffy bullshit" made a ton of difference to enhance the exact same game.

The game is so much better on the PC.

I did the same with Crysis 3. I got on the PS3 then I got it as part of a bundle on the PC. Again so much better on the PC

So I think that game makers use the "fluffy bullshit" in order to make a weak game more interesting. You have a lot of valid points about what makes  a good game. However the aesthetics are also part of the games

One of the biggest issue that I finding with the division is that a lot of people don't seem to be taking the time to explore and have a look around. I've used the party matching system and found that a shitload of people rush from check point to check point and don't even find the loot boxes that are in the environment or other items. The environment is often key to finding those items a locations. 

There's two sides to that coin and on either side is a massive following. Modding games is a massive hobby for millions of people, and most of the mods are for fluffy bullshit. 

Then there are games like TF2 which look like this:

team-fortress-2-mac.jpeg

And yet is one of the most fun games you can play and has a following which could probably dwarf that of CoD.

banlol.png

There is FBS, then there are real enhancements. In a building game, things might really add to it that would be FBS in a first person shooter. I'd like more tiles for building in Fallout. Playing house is part of the content, just like upgrading power armor. I don't care if the clouds morph realistically. I do care that pointless side stories are included because they encourage exploration and exposure to more content. I don't care if Super Mutants get more dialogue options. Etc.

For some people, sex is only 3 minutes long... :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Damn, we got a marathon runner here folks!

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Oh well, I guess I'll wait for Destiny update to see what they release. I might go back to destiny. Playing the division really opened my eyes to how great destiny actually was.

I'm on your wavelength Nev. It's different, but has similar traits. The lack of variance just makes the game an enjoyable good but not great game. I felt it would be like this before buying, however i think because so many FGers made the jump, it's made it a more enjoyable game for this reason. No other reason for me.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Sooo....how many extra hours of game play did tire deflation and boot prints on the hood get for this game?  Seems like it died pretty quick and the fluffy bullshit was...fluffy bullshit that mattered not.  The game was not fun, and the FBS didn't add enough to make it matter.  If the game had been fun, it's lack of inclusion would not have mattered.  FBS at it's finest/worst.

tumblr_inline_npr26jcJI01rq7m1y_500.gif

Lol.

The thing is, you're literally the only person who made a big deal out of the FBS. Angry Joe spent two minutes on it in a 40 minute review that amounted to, hey this is cool, which it is, from a technical standpoint.

My only point was, criticize the game for its faults. Don't criticize what it does well as a roundabout way to say it lacks content.

The Division sucks

Why?

Because it has realistic physics, like you leave bootprints in the snow, tires deflate, and glass breaks in discrete fragments.

Uh, okay, but why does that make it suck?

Because they should invested in better gameplay and content!

Why didn't you just say that?

I, uh, I don't know, I guess I just felt like making a big deal out of something trivial...

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

This game is still on my radar, I had a lot of fun with the Beta

Once the price drops I will most likely grab it for when I need a break from being a Ninja helicopter

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Lol.

The thing is, you're literally the only person who made a big deal out of the FBS. Angry Joe spent two minutes on it in a 40 minute review that amounted to, hey this is cool, which it is, from a technical standpoint.

My only point was, criticize the game for its faults. Don't criticize what it does well as a roundabout way to say it lacks content.

The Division sucks

Why?

Because it has realistic physics, like you leave bootprints in the snow, tires deflate, and glass breaks in discrete fragments.

Uh, okay, but why does that make it suck?

Because they should invested in better gameplay and content!

Why didn't you just say that?

I, uh, I don't know, I guess I just felt like making a big deal out of something trivial...

The physics and assorted FBS doesn't make it suck.  It doesn't add anything worthwhile either.  It could have been left out entirely and made zero difference to anyone....but it makes it look cool.

Game developers are spending an inordinate amount of time and marketing for the wrapping instead of the content.  Division was, apparently, a big pile of cat shit in a really pretty box.  How many people plunked down their cash based on that pretty box and were then disappointed by the pile of cat shit inside?

I bunch of us did buy it. I for one didn't buy it because I expected to see boot prints. I was expecting a game that would be fun to play in a group and offer something new. 

The problem with the game were numerous. The biggest one for me was that shit got repetitive pretty quick and there were a number of match making problems with the game. There were also a lot of exploits that gave people an advantage in the DZ so people got fed up. 

It could have been a good game but it lost focus

It does had something if the game is interesting but it wasn't. 

I don't think anybody bought it based on FBS. The developer didn't try to sell the game based on FBS. There was no pre game buzz about FBS. No marketing devoted to FBS. It was never a 'thing'.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

It's just one tree in the forest of FBS and wrapping vs content.

Lens flare was one I remember being all hyped up.

http://www.gamesradar.com/brief-history-most-over-used-special-effect-videogames-lens-flare/1/

Maybe me and Diddums are the only ones who notice or care.  I'll be playing Super Tecmo Bowl on an NES emulator if anyone needs me.

What if, instead of just being FBS, it actually mattered.

What if you could shoot from under a car when prone until the tires were shot out, then that field of fire was shut off?

What if you could jump into the back of a pickup and use the bed sides as cover or to set a bipod on, but you were stunned if the tires were blown out?  You'd have to make the decision to shoot them out before getting in or risking it.

What if tires + fire = smoke grenade?

What if bullets reacted to glass?  Bullets shot through a windshield would arc up if shot from the car, arc down if shot from behind the car?  Non-FMJ bullets would have their range dramatically reduced? 

What if tracking ability was implemented so footprints meant something?  The better the character's skill the longer you could see them, plus an idea of how long ago the player went through, how many, maybe even an idea of loadout?

This is what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about one symptom of the entire disease.  Just this one symptom has the POTENTIAL to be something cool, something that adds to game play and strategy, etc.  Instead it's just....nothing.