Plumbers Crack

I'm thinking about possibly splurging some Christmas money, hopefully in the sales, on a new headset but, being as I'm not really located in a "try before you buy" area, it looks like I'll have to buy on line

I want a wireless set, over ear, robust, comfortable (I realise that is subjective) and with a decent mic

I could probably run to £175 at the most, which would get me a pair of A50's but, to me, that's a lot of money even if I use them most nights of the week so I'd appreciate your comments and guidance

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Turtle Beach, Astro and Tritton and Astro are leagues above the rest. I've had the top models from all three and once you try the Astros there's simply no turning back. The engineering and attention to detail is simply second to none, the whole thing feels well made and well engineered. The Trittons were closest in terms of price and couldn't hold a candle to the Astros, they were decent but still felt flimsy, not loud enough and the quality although great when new, really didn't age well (as Euan has also discovered with his). 

They are eye wateringly expensive (I paid £250) but to me they're worth it. The amount of hours I play on a good night meant that with my Trittons I was getting sore ears and the plastic cups made my ears sweaty but the Astros I can play with for hours. The Trittons had most of the features of the Astros but the interface was clunky. With the Astros for example, you simply fold up the microphone and it turns off, whereas with the Trittons you have to locate the switch every time. No biggie on its own, but the Astros have loads of these little things which make using easier and these all add up to a much more pleasant experience in general. Another good one is that the Astros only use USB for power, whereas the Trittons need a separate socket. 

They are loud. Like properly loud, I could probably kill my ears if I wanted to. The Trittons don't come close in terms of sheer volume. The Atros have a rocker switch on the side which you simply press either side of to determine the balance between chat volume and game volume, it's very easy to use and extremely convenient. 

I can't comment on the Golds but people seem to love them so I'd go with that, or if you really want to treat yourself, grab a pair of A50s - you will never game the same again. 

banlol.png

Holy crap, just having a quick look around and here's a pair of A50s for £200 from Argos' ebay shop (which means you can collect them locally). Ok they're the Halo branded ones but if you can live with that then these are a steal. And yes, they'll work with PS4 :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astro-A50-Halo-Edition-Headset-/331689462787?hash=item4d3a3b8c03:g:G~EAAOSwHPlWcO47

banlol.png

Thanks for that Dave

Cheapest I've seen is £179 inc free delivery but I was hoping to find some a wee bit cheaper in the sales

http://www.valuebasket.com/en_GB/Astro-A50-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-for-PS4PS3PCMAC-(Black)/mainproduct/view/17415-AA-BK?AF=GOOGB&gclid=CN7iw-DU8ckCFSQTwwodYmwHdQ

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork