Dying Light

J4MES OX4D

This game is fucking fantastic. "Hunter by day, prey by night" couldn't be more fitting. It took a little while for it to get going, but once it does, there are some proper WTF moments. The parkour is excellent, better even than Mirror's Edge, and that's the daddy of parkour games. The combat is oh so satisfying, I think last time I got a kick out of mashing someone's head into a wall of spikes was in the good ol' days of Mortal Kombat.

The amount of ways to kill zeds is endless, and I find myself running out of imagnation before I run out of ways to kill them. At night the real baddies come out, zeds that will make you shit yourself and run. God help you if you don't run.

I like that the emphasis is really on melee weapons. Yes there are guns in the game but not only is ammo rarer than hen's teeth, you get seriously penalised for using them - they attract more badass zombies. Noise has a huge role in this game. Not overbearing, but it does make you think for a second before doing things which is brilliant.

The story and characters are exactly what you'd expect from this game - cheesy and using every single cliche in the book. The story is quite frankly shockingly bad, although I only clicked after reading other reviews. Whilst playing, I'm simply having too much fun mashing zeds into walls and kicking them off high rises to even notice. My only complaint so far is that it is pretty poorly omtimized. My PC stutters a bit now and then, it's no game breaker but it always seems to happen at the worst possible moments.

That said, it would appear that they're addressing this. Here's today's update (for PC):

List of fixes in version 1.4.0:

Hardware, performance & stability issues
• Resolved various stability issues
• Numerous general performance optimizations
• Significantly reduced RAM memory usage

Gameplay issues
• Added option to disable film grain video effect.
• Fixed the issue with reaching Survivor Rank 25
• Optimized video memory management to eliminate “ResizeBuffers failed 0x887a0005” error message
• Fixed extremely long load times that some users were experiencing
• Resolved issues with unlocking certain achievements
• Fixed the issue with ammo disappearing from player’s inventory when attempting shooting challenges
• Resolved issues with Personal Statistics menu
• Fixed problems with using keys assigned to gameplay features during chat
• Fixed duplicating weapons exploit

Be-the-Zombie mode
• Fixed the ‘infinite spit’ exploit in Be-the-Zombie mode
• Fixed several issues with connecting to games when playing as the zombie
• Added additional tools for tracking network issues

Game data integrity (modding)
• Games can be modded
• Modded games will not work online with original unchanged versions
• Modded games will work with other identically modded games

Graphical Bugs
• Resolved extremely low resolution textures on certain objects regardless of texture quality settings

Linux specific improvements:
• Fixed motion blur switching via main menu
• Fixed messaging when playing cross-platform session

Known issues we are still working on:
• Screen flickering when using dual-GPU setups
• Radeon support on Linux platforms

banlol.png

What is a good weapon in this game? It's sure not a 9 mm. You fire two shots and turn to find 10 zombies coming your way.

My go to weapon now is an exquisite knife. I also learned a new way to level up quick. Stand outside a safe zone at night time and just kill regular zombies. You get double experience for each kill. I just stand in front of spikes. Lure in the zombies, and one by one throw them in the spikes.

I need to stop reading these reviews... I really want this game. I might end up getting it here soon. I just can't decide if I want it on PC or PS4.

Both [emoji6] ...but I'd say PS4 just cos we can get some gaming in [emoji12] . I'm sure Didz, James and the rest will disagree for the same reason!

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I finished it the other day and I definitely think it's the best game that's come out for a very long time and one that has surprised me greatly. It took about 45 hours to reach the conclusion and I still have another 15 probably on side quests. The mechanics are incredibly well implemented and make for an astonishingly enjoyable experience throughout. I don't think I've played a game for years where the fun has been maintained to such a high standard all the way through. It's a bit of a shame the story is a bit weak and the characters are largely forgettable as if they had a powerful narrative with a strong cast; this would have been breaching the masterpiece barrier. Great to see so many people enjoying it and anyone that hasn't got it yet should really pick it up when they get a chance. It's worth every penny even at full-whack!

James How's the coop? I've yet to try it.

I haven't actually tried it yet either but I've heard from others that it is excellent. The MP is not so good apparently but you can actually do the entire campaign with up to 4 players co-op which is a fantastic offering. Players can apparently drop in and out when they like and can either finish missions solo or join/invite friends to do so. 

I'm probably going to end up with the digital version. Game are being asshats. I got a lovely voucher for my birthday, but I can't order online with it. I went in store to preorder, but that will cost the same as the digital version. But I really hate the thought of buying digital, it should be way cheaper.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

I'm probably going to end up with the digital version. Game are being asshats. I got a lovely voucher for my birthday, but I can't order online with it. I went in store to preorder, but that will cost the same as the digital version. But I really hate the thought of buying digital, it should be way cheaper.

If it's on a GAME gift card; you can use that online but only when the game is released because they don't accept payment by gift cards on pre-order items which is fecking annoying. 

Picked my copy of dying light up and Saturday for the PS4, such a wicked game, am literally hooked from the get go. 

Can't wait to get back and play, people need to get this on the ps4 so i have peoples to game with :) 

Add me! ......    tronic44

Sweet, i might not be on till the weekend now because of work but i'll try to

Rich, my copy comes on Friday (hopefully) so if your on let's get a party going and give it a bash [emoji106]

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Got extra codes from GAME as they thought the extras weren't in the box.  Anyone who wants the codes (weapons and stuff) just message me.  I guess they are UK codes, but might be worth a shot on US/Canadian accounts.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......