Dying Light

J4MES OX4D

I am, the graphics and game play look fun, but I'd like to play it before I decide to buy it. And not at full price when there are 100 other zombie games out there. Some of which I own and haven't played yet. PC gamer problems :lol:

I do hope its not like the Dead Island series, meaning having whacked out objectives that push and pull you all over the damn place. Like when you're in one mission and uncover 5 other side missions that you need to do and trudge back through the same area you were just in with more zombies.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Picked this up on Greenman Gaming yesterday as it was offering 23% off right of the bat for a pre-purchase which took the price down to £30.80 instead of £40. That's the cheapest I've seen from a legit site so I had to take a punt on it at that price. I've preloaded the game onto Steam and now I play the waiting game...

I look forward to your screen caps and review!

Cheers Joe! I'll hopefully get the game started tomorrow and have enough play time to gather a first impression. Still not massively convinced that it's worth the full retail price but at £30; it's definitely worth a shot. 

I've managed to play about 3 hours of the game today although Steam doesn't actually recognise that I own it for some reason :unsure:

So far it's everything I expected from a Techland game;- looks great, fun mechanics, good crafting system and weapon/item variety but let down by mundane missions, intolerable characters and a weak narrative. It's basically Dead Island the second coming although it does have a sublime setting and attention to detail. It just lets itself down in key areas. It also runs like a sack of shite on PC at the minute with considerable frame rate drops and stuttering. 

I wouldn't say this represented a full price product although it is pretty good fun. I'd place it in the £15-20 category. It's still early days but I can't see the game dramatically improving or becoming more varied. 

I've managed to play about 3 hours of the game today although Steam doesn't actually recognise that I own it for some reason :unsure:

So far it's everything I expected from a Techland game;- looks great, fun mechanics, good crafting system and weapon/item variety but let down by mundane missions, intolerable characters and a weak narrative. It's basically Dead Island the second coming although it does have a sublime setting and attention to detail. It just lets itself down in key areas. It also runs like a sack of shite on PC at the minute with considerable frame rate drops and stuttering. 

I wouldn't say this represented a full price product although it is pretty good fun. I'd place it in the £15-20 category. It's still early days but I can't see the game dramatically improving or becoming more varied. 

Cheers James, was keeping my eye on this, but may leave it for a Steam sale...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've put in just over 10 hours or so on Dying Light and my experience with the game since day one has improved significantly. After a slow start; the story is actually unfolding very intriguingly and the gameplay is becoming more enjoyable as you develop your character and craft better items. Some of the missions so far have been really entertaining and extremely challenging. There was a few Dead Island-esque mundane fetch quests at first but that part is nothing more than a prologue it seems. The game certainly took a while to get going but suddenly it's improved dramatically on all counts. Visually, it's phenomenal. 

I am slowly becoming very impressed with Techland and what they've created - it's certainly surprised me. The movement mechanics are tremendously entertaining and I have to give the devs credit - so much better implemented than Assassin's Crappy Creed 'push forward on left stick and then the A button to scale an entire building in 3 seconds' brand of mediocre movement mechanics.

All the game has to do is maintain this level of quality and it'll be a solid all-round title that has exceeded expectations. At full price; still not sure if it's worth it at this stage but if you do get it; it's an absolute blast so far for me. Better than any game I played last year, that's for sure! 

I played the demo and enjoyed it for the most part. I only played dead Island for a little bit and couldn't get into it. I tried this game and it reminded me exactly of dead Island. It's currently 69.99 here in Canada. If steam drops it below $40 I'll probably pick it up. Not a penny more.

I know I'll pick it up and stop playing after a few hours.

Thanks James, I watched several reviews online which echo what you say, it looks really nice and Total Biscuit's port review was extremely interesting with regards to view distance and frame-rate.

Tempting me plenty this game right now and.... but I'm saving for a decent 48 inch tv and I'll probably wait til the price drops a little.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thanks James, I watched several reviews online which echo what you say, it looks really nice and Total Biscuit's port review was extremely interesting with regards to view distance and frame-rate.

Tempting me plenty this game right now and.... but I'm saving for a decent 48 inch tv and I'll probably wait til the price drops a little.

That simple fix from TB actually worked well and the sacrifice was barely noticeable :lol:

I've done a quick review and got a shitload of screenshots on my Steam profile if you wanna have a browse when you get a chance. 

I'd stick to Resident Evil HD for the time being and see how this game fares technically and price-wise in the coming weeks. We also have the physical copies of Dying Light coming out in a months time (bizarrely delayed) which could land into retailers very cheap indeed. The GAME edition is only £24.99 http://www.game.co.uk/en/dying-light-only-at-game-edition-229772?catGroupId=and could be even less when it hits the shelves. 

I've also got Resident Evil and Grim Fandango to sift through but at this rate; they ain't getting a look in! 

Ok so I'm nearly 15 hours in to the game and it's just getting better and better by the hour. The story is unfolding and becoming very interesting indeed. I've also unlocked an entire new map to explore which I didn't see coming, so the game is now bigger than I initially envisaged which is fantastic. I've also got my hands on a few guns which are great fun to use along with the improved melee weapons I've looted or crafted.

This game really feels like what Dead Island could have been along with Far Cry 3 - it's simply brilliant! 

Ok so I'm nearly 15 hours in to the game and it's just getting better and better by the hour. The story is unfolding and becoming very interesting indeed. I've also unlocked an entire new map to explore which I didn't see coming, so the game is now bigger than I initially envisaged which is fantastic. I've also got my hands on a few guns which are great fun to use along with the improved melee weapons I've looted or crafted.

This game really feels like what Dead Island could have been along with Far Cry 3 - it's simply brilliant! 

It does look really fun fro, what I can see. I heard today that they're not going to allow anyone to mod it, that's probably more a WB move than a Techland one, but it's a shame.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Interesting:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2uaqvs/dying_light_is_filing_dmca_claims_on_mods_and/

In an upcoming patch (v.1.2.1), Techland is initiating DRM that will be strangling the modding community from making any changes to their game in an attempt to prohibit mods becoming hacks. Although This will affect singleplayer; and multiplayer gaming, not just the latter.

Source: blocked cheating by changing game’s data files.[1]

Techland also began using MarkMonitor to file DMCA's against mods such as removing the always active film-grain.[2] made by two redditors who uploaded those tweaks to MediaFire[3] and TinyUpload. Both 523-byte mods soon had claims filed against them, and were removed. If disabling the film grain effect warrants a DMCA claim, what would something more involved merit?

If this an issue you care about, please talk about it! Maybe someone over there will hear you from this corner of the web.

also

In the v1.2.1 patch, Techland severely hindered our ability to create mods for Dying Light. The patch notes state that they:

blocked cheating by changing game’s data files.[1]

That's an awfully rosy way of looking at things (i.e., spin.) Among other things, we can no longer create or edit items for the single-player campaign.

If that wasn't bad enough, Techland, via their publisher Warner Bros (an ESA member[2] ), is using the ESA's partnership with MarkMonitor to file DMCA claims against mods. Yes, they're abusing the DMCA[3] to fight modders. They're not fighting software piracy; they're fighting customers, enthusiasts, fans.

One example: two Redditors (/u/drogean2 [4] and /u/Descatusat [5] ) uploaded mods that disable the film grain effect to MediaFire[6] and TinyUpload. These 523-byte mods were promptly taken down for terms of service violations. If disabling the film grain effect warrants a DMCA claim, what would something more involved merit?

Remember when Dead Island mods were featured on PC Gamer[7] and other major websites?

Remember when the Dead Island modding thread[8] was stickied in the Steam forum?

Remember when Hellraid was just a weapon mod for Dead Island[9] made by one of Techland's own developers?

Techland's approach to Dying Light mods radically departs from how they handled, and even supported, Dead Island mods.

If this is an issue you care about, don't be a zombie; voice your displeasure! Maybe someone will hear you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2ua9rb/psa_techland_now_hates_modders_and_will_abuse_the/

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It does look really fun fro, what I can see. I heard today that they're not going to allow anyone to mod it, that's probably more a WB move than a Techland one, but it's a shame.

Yeah it's a shame. Probably down to the publishers as this is a AAA title with planned DLC and they wouldn't want people getting stuff for free off the community and neglecting the official content down the line. Also the developers are probably quite strict about their SDK falling into the public domain - perhaps down the line when they've exhausted the engine and after the inevitable sequels; they might release it for modding purposes but this is typical AAA ignorance we see these days and they're probably scared that the community might do a better job in some respects :lol:

Just picked this game up. It's very intense. Trying to get up those light posts for the first mission had me panicking lol. And the firs time being stuck outside in the dark, holy shit! That was intense. I'm just running my ass off and those Damn night walkers chasing you all over.

Its an incredible game! Had me shitting bricks.

Just picked this game up. It's very intense. Trying to get up those light posts for the first mission had me panicking lol. And the firs time being stuck outside in the dark, holy shit! That was intense. I'm just running my ass off and those Damn night walkers chasing you all over.

Its an incredible game! Had me shitting bricks.

Don't worry, it gets worse as the game progresses ;)

It's a great game and it gets better by the hour - if you need any help; just gimme a shout here and I will try and assist :)

I have to pick up more diapers if I am to proceed! =D

So many shit my pants moments. I haven't even got any guns yet. I'm only using wrenches and pipes.

Yeah, not since my first night playing DayZ has a game sucked me in like this one, loving it :D My electrified water pipe has seen plenty of action :lol:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

any PS4 players?  Am waiting until the physical release and saving myself £10.  No way am I giving sony the idea they can charge more for less.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......