Watchmen — One of the greatest superhero films of all time?

Lurchzy

• Lurchzy changed the title to Watchmen — One of the greatest superhero films of all time?

Watchmen is a film showing the moral conflict within superheroes trying to save the world in a dark tone. While other superhero films don't explore the psychology and moral compass of the superheroes, Zack Snyder takes an ambitious approach to portray these complexities, making it the best film he ever made. - Financial Express 

3 minutes ago, Misneach_ said:

Honestly, I have never watched it & was told without reading the comics that I wouldn’t enjoy it.

I don't think that's true, the film stands up well by itself. Obviously reading the comics would give you some extra backstory but I don't think it's necessary to enjoy it.

26 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

Watchmen is a film showing the moral conflict within superheroes trying to save the world in a dark tone. While other superhero films don't explore the psychology and moral compass of the superheroes, Zack Snyder takes an ambitious approach to portray these complexities, making it the best film he ever made. - Financial Express 

And this proves why Watchmen is not a good superhero movie, it tries to cater to "highly educated" and goes way over the top for what it needs to be. Taking the superhero aspect out of it, probably a decent film, but your not going into a superhero film wanting to listen to bullshit political views for half the film, bored the living fuck out of me, felt like I was running a pub again listening to drunk pissheads talk about politics. 6/10

21 minutes ago, Macca89 said:

And this proves why Watchmen is not a good superhero movie, it tries to cater to "highly educated" and goes way over the top for what it needs to be. Taking the superhero aspect out of it, probably a decent film, but your not going into a superhero film wanting to listen to bullshit political views for half the film, bored the living fuck out of me, felt like I was running a pub again listening to drunk pissheads talk about politics. 6/10

Doesn't have anything to do with politics. It questions basic personal morality. The character Rorschach is the perfect example of this always choosing to do what's morally 'right'.

I much prefer this type of film opposed to the attention grabbing 'explosions every 5 minutes' type of superhero films.

34 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

Doesn't have anything to do with politics. It questions basic personal morality. The character Rorschach is the perfect example of this always choosing to do what's morally 'right'.

I much prefer this type of film opposed to the attention grabbing 'explosions every 5 minutes' type of superhero films.

Funny thing is mate, I've probably watched Watchmen about 5 times and like I said, I'm not saying it's a bad film, it's just not a good superhero film.

Logan

Avengers

Infinity War

Endgame 

Iron-man

Thor Ragnorok

Guardians 1 & 3

Shang Chi

Spiderman 1 & 2 (Tobey)

Spiderman No way home

Black Panther 1 & 2

Captain America Winter Soldier

Captain America

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Batman

Justice League (Snyder Cut) 

Dr Strange

All better 'Superhero' films for me.

The thing with MCU pal to why people like it so much isn't due to attention grabbing explosions, it's because of the 10 year project they put together for the Infinity Saga, putting so many bits and pieces together and linking it all together at the end for 2 incredible films to close it out. 

1 hour ago, Macca89 said:

Funny thing is mate, I've probably watched Watchmen about 5 times and like I said, I'm not saying it's a bad film, it's just not a good superhero film.

Logan

Avengers

Infinity War

Endgame 

Iron-man

Thor Ragnarok

Guardians 1 & 3

Shang Chi

Spiderman 1 & 2 (Tobey)

Spiderman No way home

Black Panther 1 & 2

Captain America Winter Soldier

Captain America

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Batman

Justice League (Snyder Cut) 

Dr Strange

All better 'Superhero' films for me.

The thing with MCU pal to why people like it so much isn't due to attention grabbing explosions, it's because of the 10 year project they put together for the Infinity Saga, putting so many bits and pieces together and linking it all together at the end for 2 incredible films to close it out.

That's fine, I just didn't understand your view on the politics in the film. Where as I would say that the Marvel franchise dives deep into Modern politics. (Probably why I can't get along with the films)

If understand correctly I would say you prefer idealism rather than realism and like the spectacle of the Superhero films. And I on the other hand prefer films that feel raw and I disconnect easily from the extraordinary.

Either way I value your opinion pal 👍

I thought it was a really good film back when I watched it. Something very different to the usual superhero films you see out there. Always struggle with top 5s/10s, etc as I forget films and also love different films for different reasons. Having said that....its probably top 10 for me.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Not personally a fan of superhero movies, I prefer to read the comics. If superhero movies were animated I'd probably enjoy them. There's a superman story (Red Sun) where its an alternate reality and he landed in totalitarian Russia, which i read 10 years ago... and that's now been animated, so I have a copy 🙂

That said, I did enjoy Watchmen, I like a lot of Alan Moore's work and the director did it justice. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

12 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Not personally a fan of superhero movies, I prefer to read the comics. If superhero movies were animated I'd probably enjoy them. There's a superman story (Red Sun) where its an alternate reality and he landed in totalitarian Russia, which i read 10 years ago... and that's now been animated, so I have a copy 🙂

That said, I did enjoy Watchmen, I like a lot of Alan Moore's work and the director did it justice. 

What's this Superman animation called? Wouldn't mind having a look into that.

4 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

What's this Superman animation called? Wouldn't mind having a look into that.

I prefer the graphic novel as the animation leaves some stuff out but it's still pretty decent

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I didn't mind the film.  It followed the source material pretty closely with a few changes here and there.  I personally prefer the graphic novel, as there's a lot in there that immerses you into the world, like reading the comic within the comic, or excerpts from the original Night Owls biography.  Just little things like that.  Alan Moore is just nuts with the details.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*