EA Sports FC 24

I watched it yesterday and I am with you, it was a dreadful presentation, an awful lot of waffle and nothing really on the game mechanics and such.

They walked out all these players / ex players and talking about their association with the game, Erling Haaland in pajamas I just thought he looked a bit of a clown I won't lie which is a shame as he generally seems quite a sensible guy in football interviews and such.

The talked about the history of the game and it being the biggest sports game and such but that's it, it felt like they were trying to just promote their brand with fc this and fc that but the reality is people just want to see what they have done with the game, have they refreshed it at all with the change in branding or is it just fifa 24 with a different name.

This genre really need's a new competitor because their complacency is absurd. I love pro clubs with FG, one of my favourite events of the week but I am really wondering how I can justify 70ish pounds on a game that I play once a week in the current climate.

Luseth.png

Another thing is all these trailers are nowhere near representative of the game or football either. Just a load of OTT nonsense with ludicrous animations, camera work and effects. These 'gameplay' trailers should all contain in-engine direct captures. Oh and I take it all back what I said above - EA did give us raw gameplay; about 1.7 seconds of it and it looks like FIFA 23, FIFA 22, FIFA 21, FIFA 20, FIFA 19 and FIFA 18. 

image.thumb.jpeg.72b3e6e50ac551c77f961d681e9badea.jpeg

I really miss the 08-13 era because FIFA was just going from strength to strength and improvements were obvious and could truly be felt. The amount that was accomplished between 2007 and 2012 was so significant and although the series was propelled by a window of demise by PES as it struggled with a generational change, FIFA in that era had the licence and they finally had the gameplay to back it up with. 

Frostbite is a complete crock of shit for this game and the animations are worse than what they were a decade ago. The only difference with this engine is that there is a greater animation library but most of the time its just bloated with wonkiness and the engine itself cannot fathom which one to use so everything appears janky and cumbersome especially in slow mo. This was something PES nailed perfectly time and time again and things like the ball physics was a sight to behold as it captured everything perfectly. The games are also beginning to look so last gen too and I think we're getting to the stage where Frostbite is already pushed to its limitations, not just in this but with Battlefield too. 

E-Football is still two years off getting back to square one and that's wishful thinking and the other football game (UFL) is still not set in stone yet. Christ I miss the days when there was so much choice - Actua Soccer, TiF, ISS, Pro Evo, Adidas Power Soccer, Actua Soccer, UEFA Striker etc...

On 7/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Christ I miss the days when there was so much choice - Actua Soccer, TiF, ISS, Pro Evo, Adidas Power Soccer, UEFA Striker etc...

Everything is cyclical, and I feel like this time or a version of this space of time is coming around again. I'm just really surprised a game developer out there hasn't picked out the two most coveted gamemodes people have spoken up on for years; Pro Clubs (FIFA) and Master League (PES). If a game came out and just let me play these two gamemodes and removed all the modes i'd get it in a heartbeat.

I think the key with a lot of the next football games will be that you have to be on latest generation console to experience the full improvements, whatever they will be.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

3 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Everything is cyclical, and I feel like this time or a version of this space of time is coming around again. I'm just really surprised a game developer out there hasn't picked out the two most coveted gamemodes people have spoken up on for years; Pro Clubs (FIFA) and Master League (PES). If a game came out and just let me play these two gamemodes and removed all the modes i'd get it in a heartbeat.

I think the key with a lot of the next football games will be that you have to be on latest generation console to experience the full improvements, whatever they will be.

I agree completely — however I feel like the development of these games are so advanced, e.g. the graphics and multitude of gameplay options, that competition has no chance. I mean has anyone here checked out UFL or GOAL? Two new football games but they're so far off EA Sports.

Back in the day games weren't nearly as advanced and you didn't need a million dollar business investment to create a AAA game.

On 7/17/2023 at 3:37 PM, Lurchzy said:

I agree completely — however I feel like the development of these games are so advanced, e.g. the graphics and multitude of gameplay options, that competition has no chance. I mean has anyone here checked out UFL or GOAL? Two new football games but they're so far off EA Sports.

Back in the day games weren't nearly as advanced and you didn't need a million dollar business investment to create a AAA game.

This is what pisses me off about EA and Konami - they spent so many years working on things like ball physics, animations, AI and trying to create the most authentic football experience possible and they threw that all away by chasing easy money instead. PES brickwalled itself once the Fox Engine went as far as they could push it and EA stopped innovating when UT really really printing money daily. I used to love seeing FIFA improve around 2008-13 - EA were so passionate about the game back then and they really pressed home their advantage over the faltering PES back then and every new release was an improvement that strived to only get better as the next gen loomed. Instead of the usual PR shite we see today, the devs really understood football and did their best with the limitations. 

Other brands don't stand a chance now because of the required development and huge licencing costs. eFootball proved that something as simple as an engine change can set a company back 15 years and 3 years on, that game is still total horseshit compared to the final PES game. It's such a travesty these two still control the market and no real credible competitor is out there and probably never will be. The FIFA licence going up for grabs was massive and not one single publisher took it on which just shows there is not an alternative dev that can make a football game in the next 5 years and no publisher is willing to pay up and take a chance. People expected 2K to jump in sometime in the past 10 years and they didn't even dip their toes in despite dominating sports many years ago. They went the same way as EA too and their basketball games are horrifying.  

FIFA should be so much better than what it is right now.  I honestly don't think we'll see a proper football simulator ever again or anything remotely close. 

Nothing will ever beat Pro Evolution on the PS2, PES 10 years ago came close but I've not played a football game anywhere near Pro Evo master league in terms of fun, even with the stupid player names it had.

It's all style over substance, which I couldn't give a monkeys about, yet too many people do, and will accept any old shit if it's painted right. Much like the real world🥳

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

13 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Nothing will ever beat Pro Evolution on the PS2, PES 10 years ago came close but I've not played a football game anywhere near Pro Evo master league in terms of fun, even with the stupid player names it had.

It's all style over substance, which I couldn't give a monkeys about, yet too many people do, and will accept any old shit if it's painted right. Much like the real world🥳

PES 3, 4, 5 and 6 were absolutely legendary! Even the original and its sequel were amazing because they were perfect captures of the PS1 ISS originals with vastly improved visuals and smoother gameplay. 3-6 really brought in the realism as it shifted away from its more arcade-roots. PES going to shit after the 360 launched was so devastating and really surprising and despite rejuvenating around 2015, they still didn't get anywhere near where they once were IMO. PS2 + PES, GTA and MGS = great days!

Also looking forward to starting a new Ultimate Team, might put a bit more effort into it this year. And with the Ultimate Edition I'll be applicable to try the Nike UT Career, not sure what that will be, but should be fun.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

I was leaning towards the PS4 version as I was expecting another year with you guys on the PS4 version, now you are expecting me to find another £40 or whatever it is! 😄 

Still have Mart and Con on PS4

My better half has put some money towards getting fifa ultimate for me as I had been feeling a bit crappy about work so I can play whichever this time around 🙂 I am also trying to drum up interest on the place I used to play with for Thursday nights, if I can get that going again then I feel like there could be a friendly or 2 on the cards in the future when we are playing the latest gen game.

@Findmartin we can't leave you behind just yet 🙂 You do need to get yourself a ps5 though, more because you enjoy our company of course 😉

Luseth.png

On 9/24/2023 at 4:09 PM, Findmartin said:

Lads on my behalf please don't get the ps4 version and hold yourselves back. I probably won't get a 5 anytime soon, and I haven't been on Monday nights as much lately. I honestly don't mind 

Dude, I'll happily play the PS4 version again, no soldier leaves a man behind 💪💪

Also happy to stay on FIFA 23 until we all get the new one. 

2 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

Great! If Clubs is cross play this year then, I might join when I've bought it.  Although depends what console everyone is going with, as don't think I can play with PS4 users.

You'll only be able to play with current gen (PS5) users. However I believe it's only Martin who will be without a PS5 by the time we start playing FC24.

I wonder if we could do anything with the  FGFGF to get Martin involved still @GazzaGarratt?

54 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

You'll only be able to play with current gen (PS5) users. However I believe it's only Martin who will be without a PS5 by the time we start playing FC24.

I wonder if we could do anything with the  FGFGF to get Martin involved still @GazzaGarratt?

I did suggest an xbox series S to him last night but he didn't sound keen. It would allow him to still jump on for fifa with us (I tried it with another friend the other day that was on xbox and it worked pretty well) and you can pick them up as cheap as £150 these days second hand 🙂

Luseth.png

On 9/26/2023 at 12:49 AM, Macca89 said:

Dude, I'll happily play the PS4 version again, no soldier leaves a man behind 💪💪

Also happy to stay on FIFA 23 until we all get the new one. 

No honestly mate, leave me. I'll be on Fifa 23 until people get the new game (usually around Xmas isn't it?)

On 9/26/2023 at 3:06 PM, Lurchzy said:

Thanks James but Lee no, please don't even consider using the FG fund for me on this I would be very uncomfortable with that. It's not even the money that's preventing me getting one anyway to be honest. I will see how it goes but as I say please don't hold back on getting the ps5 version on my part.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:40 PM, Findmartin said:

No honestly mate, leave me. I'll be on Fifa 23 until people get the new game (usually around Xmas isn't it?)

Not a chance mate, I'm in absolutely no rush whatsoever!