Ranked Play - MW2

GazzaGarratt

Treyarch is bringing their Ranked Play to Infinity Ward's MW2 tomorrow (Feb 15th). The video below breaks down what to expect:

Ranked Play is the official competitive 4v4 Multiplayer experience for Modern Warfare® II, using the official rules, restrictions, maps, and modes from the Call of Duty League, which can be read here. Whenever the Call of Duty League rules are updated, expect changes to the Ranked Play rules to follow suit.

Players must be at least Level 16 to access Ranked Play but will have all unrestricted items – including weapons and attachments – automatically unlocked within this mode to ensure that all players are on the same competitive footing.

Just like in the Call of Duty League, each Ranked Play match will take place on a map and mode from the following list:

Hardpoint

• Al Bagra Fortress
  • Breenbergh Hotel
  • Embassy
  • Mercado Las Almas
  • Zarqwa Hydroelectric

Search & Destroy

• Al Bagra Fortress
  • Breenbergh Hotel
  • El Asilo
  • Embassy
  • Mercado Las Almas

Control

• Al Bagra Fortress
  • Breenbergh Hotel
  • El Asilo

Skill Divisions

MWII-S02-RANKED-001.jpg

Skill Ratings are as follows:

• Bronze – 0-899 SR
  • Silver – 900-2,099 SR
  • Gold – 2,100-3,599 SR
  • Platinum – 3,600-5,399 SR
  • Diamond – 5,400-7,499 SR
  • Crimson – 7,500-9,999 SR
  • Iridescent – 10,000 SR minimum
  • Top 250 – 10,000+ SR (see below)

Your Skill Rating is based mainly on the result of every match you play – simply put, win the match to gain SR, lose the match and lose SR. Individual performance and your team’s overall performance will impact the amount of SR you gain or lose each match. In higher Skill Divisions, more emphasis will be put on team performance to ensure all winning playstyles are appropriately rewarded.

Every Skill Division below Iridescent has three Tiers to progress through. These Tiers provide additional granularity to each Division and help players feel a sense of progression as they climb. Think of these as additional SR subcategories within each Skill Division, separating the range of SR in each Division into thirds.

In Modern Warfare II Ranked Play everyone will start out as a Bronze Ranked player. That means you will get to play at any time you want with no placement matches, allowing you to compete with everyone else across Ranked Play the second it goes live. Yes, even kings and tiny terrors had to start somewhere — play well enough, and you will move up through the available Skill Divisions in only a few matches. This nets out to a simpler overall experience with the removal of Ladders and Ladder Points, allowing you to just focus on winning and getting that SR up.

As for squadding up, you are allowed to bring up to three squadmates into matches if they fall within a certain Skill Division threshold, with the highest Skill Division in the party determining the restriction rules:

• Bronze through Platinum players can party up with no restrictions.
  • Diamond and Crimson players can only form parties with and play against other players within two Skill Divisions.
  • Iridescent and Top 250 Players can only form parties with and play against other players within one Skill Division.

At the end of each Ranked Play Season, your highest Skill Division placement for the Season determines what rewards you earn, as well as where you start for the next Season:

Bronze through Crimson players will start one Skill Division back (save for Bronze, which will begin with Bronze Tier I) with Demotion Protection enabled for your first 3 matches (see Additional New Features).

Iridescent and Top 250 will start at the Diamond Tier I Skill Division with Demotion Protection enabled for several matches.

Ranks

MWII-S02-RANKED-004.jpgRankls

Winning a Ranked Play match also counts toward two additional systems: your Rank and Seasonal Win Rewards.

The Rank represents your cumulative progress in Ranked Play, starting at Rank 1 and going through Rank 50. Advancing through Ranks is as simple as winning matches – every Ranked Play win awards a Star. Earn enough Stars and you'll progress to the next Rank in your journey to Rank 50. Every five Ranks awards a new symbol that appears in the color of your Skill Division, such as a Wolf for Ranks 11–15 or the mighty Silverback Gorilla for Ranks 31–35. Unlike Skill Divisions, Ranks do not reset between Ranked Seasons.

Rewards

First, there are several Seasonal Win Rewards for this first Ranked Season, starting with a Sticker at 5 wins and a Pro Issue SMG Blueprint, which includes attachments that are fit for competitive play, that is awarded at 10 wins. Additional rewards up this progression path include a Charm, Decal, and Loading screen all the way up to a Weapon Camo, which can be used on any weapon and is awarded after winning 100 matches.

In terms of Rank Rewards, there are a few key items outside of a new Calling Card every five ranks and some additional, competitive-focused cosmetics:

• Rank 5: “Ranked Competitor” Operator Skin Pack, one “Home” version and one “Away” version awarded for both the Male and Female CDL Operators
  • Rank 15: Pro Issue Sidearm Blueprint, which has similar attachments to what is used at the highest level of competitive play.
  • Rank 30: New Gun Screen that tracks Ranked Play wins.
  • Rank 40: Pro Issue Combat Knife Blueprint, which is another popular competitive Secondary weapon.
  • Rank 50: “Ranked Veteran” Operator Skins (Home and Away) awarded to Male and Female CDL Operators, proof of your commitment to Ranked Play no matter your Skill Division

So, with this coming to an Infinity Ward game, what do you think? Will you try it? Any rewards do you think you can up to?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I might try it. 

I like hardpoint and Control. S&R not so much. 

I did a lot of rank play on COD mobile and it was fun.  Will see if they pull it off. 

Nice thing about it is that people won't be able to complain about Skill based matching. This is inherently skill base matching

3 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I might try it. 

I like hardpoint and Control. S&R not so much. 

I did a lot of rank play on COD mobile and it was fun.  Will see if they pull it off. 

Nice thing about it is that people won't be able to complain about Skill based matching. This is inherently skill base matching

And that's the only place where strict sbmm should be. 

16 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Nope, I'm still going to complain about it 😄 Because having a "casual" playlist with SBMM and a competitive playlist with SBMM is such fun.

This just makes it even more ridiculous they've kept SBMM in "casual" playlists.  The big complaint about SBMM being in "casual" playlists is it makes every match a competitive game just without the rank.  I'm not really a fan of it and still stand by that the casual playlists should be solely connection based and competitive SBMM.

1006092952_SBMMmeme.thumb.jpg.75283349f3850980b042d7fba6cb1904.jpg

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

11 minutes ago, Greboth said:

Nope, I'm still going to complain about it 😄 Because having a "casual" playlist with SBMM and a competitive playlist with SBMM is such fun.

This just makes it even more ridiculous they've kept SBMM in "casual" playlists.  The big complaint about SBMM being in "casual" playlists is it makes every match a competitive game just without the rank.  I'm not really a fan of it and still stand by that the casual playlists should be solely connection based and competitive SBMM.

367134875_SBMMmeme.thumb.jpg.101f555ff3d8965818ee6ab55dcc3d07.jpg

I can only assume this is something that will change. I know with Rocket League the Casual playlists are still using SBMM however it's a lot more diluted. You can't just get rid of SBMM because without it in Casual playlists it gets very frustrating and no one would want to play them, everyone would just play Ranked.

I totally agree with all thats said above. Would love to try it for once and give it a go. I know we probably won't set the world alight and I don't love S&D as much as I used to, but the idea of playing Harpoint and Control well with a few organised calls as me thinking we can get lots of us to Gold level which will get some nice rewards as a group.

I agree that now we have Ranked, they could work on removing SBMM in Quick Play, although i still don't find it impacts the likes of any of us here at our levels IMHO. The fact most of us are nearer to a W/L ratio of 2.0 is a good thing whilst SBMM is a thing in Quick Play.

2 minutes ago, James5497 said:

You can't just get rid of SBMM because without it in Casual playlists it gets very frustrating and no one would want to play them, everyone would just play Ranked.

This is what I was trying to say but you said it better @James5497! 😄

Keeping this back on thread for Ranked Play, its interesting that its all EXACTLY like CoD League Rules. I don't think I've ever played a game exactly like the MLG Pros. I know that we score extremely well on Hardpoint and Control currently so I would expect we'll do well initially. Also, I think its refreshing that everyone starts at Bronze together. So it could be abit erratic in the first few weeks i'm sure. Hopefully in our favour! 😅

8 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Keeping this back on thread for Ranked Play, its interesting that its all EXACTLY like CoD League Rules. I don't think I've ever played a game exactly like the MLG Pros. I know that we score extremely well on Hardpoint and Control currently so I would expect we'll do well initially. Also, I think its refreshing that everyone starts at Bronze together. So it could be abit erratic in the first few weeks i'm sure. Hopefully in our favour! 

I'm surprised they haven't used a system like placement matches to determine  your initial rank.

Just now, James5497 said:

I'm surprised they haven't used a system like placement matches to determine  your initial rank.

I think its good in one sense as for your first ever season of Ranked, there isn't any Skill Rating to go by so I like that everyone starts at the same level playing field.

That being said, don't be surprised to see them after this Season. They'd probably get criticised if they don't do it in future seasons as people will expect to slotted into where they think they should be far quicker.

Equally, means its easier for them to throw in the gamemode quicker without developing the placement matches. 😄

38 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think its good in one sense as for your first ever season of Ranked, there isn't any Skill Rating to go by so I like that everyone starts at the same level playing field.

That being said, don't be surprised to see them after this Season. They'd probably get criticised if they don't do it in future seasons as people will expect to slotted into where they think they should be far quicker.

Equally, means its easier for them to throw in the gamemode quicker without developing the placement matches. 😄

That's how cod mobile worked.

First time you start at the bottom. 

presumably you progress to something better

your rank for next season is established for next season, however there is a max which I think is gold 

If you pass on the season, the next season you start at the bottom again

The biggest problem was that once you got to the high ranks, getting a match was hard. There weren't enough players to match up quickly and that was top tier gold. So I just stopped playing it

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

367134875_SBMMmeme.thumb.jpg.101f555ff3d8965818ee6ab55dcc3d07.jpg

Well Karen, if you paid attention you would ask yourself what the hell is a playist. We all know what a playlist is, but a playist?

Also competitive is  4x4 and not 6x6 so a top player only has to carry 3 sorry asses instead of 5

The "playlist" is also limited to hardpoint, control, S&D according to the announcement (I hope that's wrong and there is actually more than that).

37 minutes ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Well Karen, if you paid attention you would ask yourself what the hell is a playist. We all know what a playlist is, but a playist?

Also competitive is  4x4 and not 6x6 so a top player only has to carry 3 sorry asses instead of 5

The "playlist" is also limited to hardpoint, control, S&D according to the announcement (I hope that's wrong and there is actually more than that).

Thank you.  I feel with such a witty, well written and strong rebuttal to my post that I have no other option than to change my opinion and and whole stance on SBMM.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Ranked play was awesome in Black Ops 2 yet they've bollocksed it up ever since when they have attempted it. This looks a bit better but with such a competitive core casual playlist, I'm not sure if there will be many adopters outside of the sweatiest of the sweats especially with it being more watered-down and having a more strict ruleset. Competitive is something COD has always struggled with in terms of enticing players and viewership and with it coming so late, I'm not sure how much appeal there will be unless there are significant rewards. I just wish they built upon the foundation of what they created with BO2 and delivered with that through the decade rather than trying to integrate the competitive aspect into the core playlists and then attempting again now and then to see if it would fly as a standalone. They even tried to build BO4 around this entirely and then just gave up. 

Can't see many content creators going for it either because they will be exposed for how shit they are not being able to compete against bots in VPN lobbies. 

21 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Ranked play was awesome in Black Ops 2 yet they've bollocksed it up ever since when they have attempted it. This looks a bit better but with such a competitive core casual playlist, I'm not sure if there will be many adopters outside of the sweatiest of the sweats especially with it being more watered-down and having a more strict ruleset. Competitive is something COD has always struggled with in terms of enticing players and viewership and with it coming so late, I'm not sure how much appeal there will be unless there are significant rewards. I just wish they built upon the foundation of what they created with BO2 and delivered with that through the decade rather than trying to integrate the competitive aspect into the core playlists and then attempting again now and then to see if it would fly as a standalone. They even tried to build BO4 around this entirely and then just gave up. 

Can't see many content creators going for it either because they will be exposed for how shit they are not being able to compete against bots in VPN lobbies. 

Nevermind blackops

Use the COD mobile. It exists for multiplayer and battle royal and it seemed popular enough each season.

They had pretty good rewards in terms of skins and blue prints so that was the incentive to play. If I remember right the skin was for BR and the blue print for MP. I think you had to get to gold to get it so it wasn't ridiculously hard. You got a picture frame (calling card) to reach the top tier. 

Mobile is about the integrate WZ2.0 so it would be a good time to sink up the two

18 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Ranked play was awesome in Black Ops 2 yet they've bollocksed it up ever since when they have attempted it. This looks a bit better but with such a competitive core casual playlist, I'm not sure if there will be many adopters outside of the sweatiest of the sweats especially with it being more watered-down and having a more strict ruleset.

I never played it back then, but I think its nice that they've brought it back rather than not have it. Give it a try and see what happens basically. It won't be for everyone, similar to how Overwatch's Competitive playlist is although now that its easily accessible more should 'give it a go'. If you don't go in with a full talking team, it should be expected it will be tougher and feel more harsh to play.

Lets see how the next few days go when we've had a go. 😄

I do like that Treyarch made it and they've installed it into an Infinity Ward game. They need to get to that stage where all 3 are working on the same game IMO.

Well I tried it and didn't like it

The guns and attachments  you can use are limited as are the perks. For example no thermal or silencers 

You only get the predator as a KS

The connection wasn't that great. Maybe due to a small player base

I also really wonder why some players decide to play this. Why do rank play if you aren't going to go for the objective and just hide in a corner to get kills. That's what MP TDM is for. All the modes are objective based

6 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Well I tried it and didn't like it

The guns and attachments  you can use are limited as are the perks. For example no thermal or silencers 

You only get the predator as a KS

The connection wasn't that great. Maybe due to a small player base

I also really wonder why some players decide to play this. Why do rank play if you aren't going to go for the objective and just hide in a corner to get kills. That's what MP TDM is for. All the modes are objective based

There will definitely be an adjustment period of getting used to it. But I'm sure if we give it a few more shots (and the sweats have gotten out of our rank) then it'll be more enjoyable!

I'll be posting some more ranked event nights over the next few months.

6 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I feel like this will improve as you increase in rank you should be facing other players who also play the objective