Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
News Ticker
  • Welcome to FG!
  • How did the ornament get addicted to Christmas? He was hooked on trees his whole life
Sign in to follow this  
SPFreely

Retro gamer looking to start a streaming 'career'

Recommended Posts

Greetings everybody.  I am known in quite a few places as I am here, as SPFreely, but my real name is Sean and I am always interested in meeting fellow gamers.  I love to play old games, maybe to make up for lost years in my youth or a renewed appreciation for them, I don't quite know.  I do a little modern gaming as well, so don't feel that I won't completely identify with what some of you are talking about, to an extent I will trust me!  Anyway it is a pleasure to be here and I look forward to getting to know you all. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
52 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

Check out arcade club in Bury, we have a meet there next month.  Retro heaven.

Shall do, thanks for the heads up!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Alright mate, what kind of retro games are we talking about here?

 

Original type eg Space Invaders, Pac Man etc?

 

or early console faves such as Mario, Sonic, Zelda?

 

or PC classics such as Baldurs Gate, Half Life etc?

 

What floats your boat?

 

Welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Alright mate, what kind of retro games are we talking about here?

 

Original type eg Space Invaders, Pac Man etc?

 

or early console faves such as Mario, Sonic, Zelda?

 

or PC classics such as Baldurs Gate, Half Life etc?

 

What floats your boat?

 

Welcome.

Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome.  Well I've dabbled in all those types of games and it really depends on the mood at the time.  Sometimes I'll want to fire up the Sega Genesis Classics or my Atari Collection and play some arcade and console classics, other days I'll be playing some old first person shooters, I'm playing through PSX Doom Total Conversion at the moment.   Although I have Baldurs Gate and Half Life to hand, I would say the last thing I've played that's somewhat similar to Baldur's Gate is an Open Source game called Flare.  I'm also a huge fan of Dungeon Keeper and to a more obscure extent, Mageslayer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin
Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome.  Well I've dabbled in all those types of games and it really depends on the mood at the time.  Sometimes I'll want to fire up the Sega Genesis Classics or my Atari Collection and play some arcade and console classics, other days I'll be playing some old first person shooters, I'm playing through PSX Doom Total Conversion at the moment.   Although I have Baldurs Gate and Half Life to hand, I would say the last thing I've played that's somewhat similar to Baldur's Gate is an Open Source game called Flare.  I'm also a huge fan of Dungeon Keeper and to a more obscure extent, Mageslayer.  
Hi there Sean, nice to see a new face here!

Really good intro as others have said, you're hitting definitely hitting my sweet spot with retro games as I collect and love playing all my old games when I can around grouping up on PS4 and PC with the people here.

Can't beat playing the Mega Drive with Wiz n Liz for a bit and then switch to Mario Kart on the SNES. You own many old consoles then?

We did have a retro section but I collapsed it as it felt like it didn't have enough traction. You're tickling me to get it back though as its a personal preference of mine.

Welcome to FG mate - really hope you enjoy the stay and get involved where you can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Welcome Sean, hope you enjoy your stay around these parts. 

 

I'm a big fan of the old consoles, my mega drive is my everything but shh don't tell the missus 😁

 

Do you own any new gen consoles? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Hi there Sean, nice to see a new face here!

Really good intro as others have said, you're hitting definitely hitting my sweet spot with retro games as I collect and love playing all my old games when I can around grouping up on PS4 and PC with the people here.

Can't beat playing the Mega Drive with Wiz n Liz for a bit and then switch to Mario Kart on the SNES. You own many old consoles then?

We did have a retro section but I collapsed it as it felt like it didn't have enough traction. You're tickling me to get it back though as its a personal preference of mine.

Welcome to FG mate - really hope you enjoy the stay and get involved where you can!

Hi Techo, Gazza and tronic44, thank you for the welcome and kind words.  I used to own a lot of consoles, I came along just at the start of the transitional period between 32/64-bit gaming to 128-bit, but I sadly got rid of most of those consoles, including a translucent orange N64 I had.   I believe Nintendo were running with those limited edition N64s in the console's final years.  I do at present own some emulation machines, which are a mixed bag, such as an Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis.  I also own some emulator handhelds as well, which get you kind of closer to the days of the Game Gear.  I tend to do most of my gaming through PC these days, but I always jump at the opportunity to play any old console classics if they get ported to PC and anything good on DOS is gold in my opinion. :) As for modern consoles, I'm weighing it up when it comes to my next PC upgrade, whether to make the switch to console gaming or not and I think PS4 and Xbox One both have many positives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

I run a Raspberry Pi with Retropie and downloads ROMS of games I thought were the shit.  Sometimes they are still great, sometimes not so much.  I Have a gaming PC that gets less love than the console partly due to the lower number of FG PC gamers.  Ps4 usually has most people online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
On 10/3/2018 at 5:15 PM, crispymorgan said:

I run a Raspberry Pi with Retropie and downloads ROMS of games I thought were the shit.  Sometimes they are still great, sometimes not so much.  I Have a gaming PC that gets less love than the console partly due to the lower number of FG PC gamers.  Ps4 usually has most people online.

That sounds cool, but what are the graphics like on such a small machine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

On older stuff it's a perfect reproduction. Probably too good. Needs a crt to blur the edges.

Via the FG App

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Emulation *shudders*

Everyone that knows me here would say I'm just a sucker for original and physical stuff rather than emulators. There isn't really anything wrong with them, I just find there's far more nostalgia and feel good that comes out of a night of retro gaming when I'm blowing the cartridge free of dust and putting it into my consoles.

If there was a way of getting us altogether to play my old consoles I'd do it in a heartbeat. Next best option is our trip to Manchester's Arcade Club in November

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
49 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Emulation *shudders* emoji23.png

Everyone that knows me here would say I'm just a sucker for original and physical stuff rather than emulators. There isn't really anything wrong with them, I just find there's far more nostalgia and feel good that comes out of a night of retro gaming when I'm blowing the cartridge free of dust and putting it into my consoles.

If there was a way of getting us altogether to play my old consoles I'd do it in a heartbeat. Next best option is our trip to Manchester's Arcade Club in November emoji16.png

Well I love Manchester and gaming, I'm down with that! Anyone else? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on quite a nostalgia kick myself over the last year.  Here's a list of what I've been after in the last year;

 

Picked up a SNES mini in August, been working on Link to the Past (again), Secrets of Mana, Donkey Kong, Super Mario, Mario Kart

PS2 - all the Tony Hawk games, Def Jam Vendetta, Midnight Club II

N64 - Ocarina of time, 1080, Super Mario

PC - Kings Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory series.  Original Myst and Riven.  Syberia, Grim Fandango.  Bought them all on Steam

 

Welcome aboard

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
On 10/5/2018 at 3:24 PM, McNasty said:

I've been on quite a nostalgia kick myself over the last year.  Here's a list of what I've been after in the last year;

 

Picked up a SNES mini in August, been working on Link to the Past (again), Secrets of Mana, Donkey Kong, Super Mario, Mario Kart

PS2 - all the Tony Hawk games, Def Jam Vendetta, Midnight Club II

N64 - Ocarina of time, 1080, Super Mario

PC - Kings Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory series.  Original Myst and Riven.  Syberia, Grim Fandango.  Bought them all on Steam

 

Welcome aboard

 

Thanks @McNasty.  I would probably go for a lot of the same games myself.  The PC ones I've already got in my collection, except Grim Fandango.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy