Jump to content
News Ticker
  • Welcome to FG
GazzaGarratt

What Restaurants / Fast Foods do you try?

Recommended Posts

Thought I'd ask as I'm sitting in TGI Fridays right now

 

Due to the way my family like mainstream simple food and one of my kids we have to take bread & butter sandwiches wherever we go, places like TGIs and Frankie & Bennys work for us.

 

My personal choice is KFC as I bloody love that chicken. Wife is a veggie so don't have it a lot but good news is my Daughter is growing up to love it like me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My town is fast becoming a food lovers paradise. Lots of quality restaurants popping up. I'm a burger man myself. Live a good gourmet burger. Best one I had at a slug and lettuce. It's was beef burger, chicken burger, pulled pork, jalapenos and sauce. Pay extra to make it large, but be prepared to hate yourself when you finish it.

Via the FG App

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoilt for choice in London, you can find anything of any nationality.

Personally, anywhere that does a decent chicken curry or bacon sandwich is all I need.

But there's a pub between Clapton and Stokey that makes pizza, best pizza I have ever eaten. When they first installed the oven I was pissed off, as they installed it where the pool table was. But the pizzas are magnificent.

There's a Morrocan place in Finsbury Park that sells awesome spices for marinading chicken, I could eat that for ever.

I'd love to try the TGI Friday barbecue ribs, cos I fucking love ribs... but that place does my head in.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless road tripping and staying close to the Interstate, I generally avoid chain restaurants.  For convenience on longer trips I typically stick with McDonald's for fast food.  When I visit my Dad we usually go to Logan's steak house.  It's a middle-of-the-road steak chain that's a good value to dollar and has a chopped steak my (denture wearing) father can eat.  He's also wheel chair bound, so if he's too tired to get in and out of my truck again we'll go to Sonic for milk shakes.  Sonic is a drive-up where the staff (often on roller skates) brings the food to your vehicle for you.  If he feels like getting out, we'll go to Culver's.

 

Now, the exception is if I'm in Texas.  Whataburger is awesome.  Best fast food burger joint by a mile, but only in Texas.  Close to where the cows grow up, you understand.  

 

Indianapolis has a pretty decent international selection.  I'm always down for Turkish or Peruvian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Docwagon said:

Indianapolis has a pretty decent international selection.  I'm always down for Turkish or Peruvian.

 

Experiencing international food hasn't worked for me. Mexican at a push is the most i'd do. Apart from the standard Indian & Chinese take aways ofc.

 

Pizza has been the dish of our fancy of late rather than McDonalds or KFC. Unfortunately, I know i'll be part of the minority that actually prefers Pizza Hut over Domino's. Their base is just so nice and they do a decent meat feast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These days it's either TGI JD ribs or miller and carter for steaks and both do chilli chicken starters.

McDonald's is used for coffee only when I can't be arsed to go to Starbucks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate literally lives in Nando's. I mean, I love Chicken but I just dont get on with spicy food much so cant really try other dishes. Still, the chicken is pretty good I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Not for me Gary, I really like ‘em

It's just chicken and chips and you even have to go up and order. For me a few breasts and a Maggie bag is just better but each to their own. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have Nando's, but when I lived in Qatar I remember liking it.

 

We have a ton of independent and/or small chain pizza places that would make you spit on Pizza Hut.  Jockamo's, New Bethel Ordinary, and (if you like Chicago-style) Giordano's are all excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like perhaps I should share my system for finding good local restaurants when traveling.  I assure you that the system always works and that this is not a joke.  When I told a buddy of mine about it he assumed I was just being funny, then he saw it in action when we went to Memphis and it lead us to an incredible local barbecue place. 

 

So what you do is scout for a reasonably well dressed fat woman.  Not morbidly obese fat or you're just going to get a buffet, but fat enough that you're reasonably sure she'll get winded on a flight of stairs.  Nobody under 30 or over 50 years old.  Nobody with children in tow.    If possible, someone without a wedding ring, but if it's a low target environment you might have to go with a married fatty. The manner of dress isn't as important as the apparent value of the clothing.  Someone dressed like someone who'd date her could afford the sort of restaurant you're interested in.  She must, of course, be local and not also a tourist.  Once you've spotted an appropriate fat woman, simply approach with a "pardon me, Ma'am, we're from out of town and was curious as to a good local restaurant." sort of line.  I generally don't specify what type of restaurant so as not to pin them down or make them search their memory.  I want their gut instinct (so to speak).

 

I have done this in multiple states in multiple countries and it has *always* worked out well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 7:23 PM, techno said:

It's just chicken and chips and you even have to go up and order. For me a few breasts and a Maggie bag is just better but each to their own. 😄

 

😂😂😂😂 brilliant Gary! Tis true but at least there's no cooking of any sort or even washing up 😄

 

On 9/1/2019 at 12:53 AM, Docwagon said:

We don't have Nando's, but when I lived in Qatar I remember liking it.

 

We have a ton of independent and/or small chain pizza places that would make you spit on Pizza Hut.  Jockamo's, New Bethel Ordinary, and (if you like Chicago-style) Giordano's are all excellent.

 

I think food chains in different countries definitely taste differently, just like beer I suppose. Pizza Hut over here isn't that bad at all, but I can understand that you have a lot of specialised family-run pizza shops over there that would still be even better. I actually don't like the old style thin based pizzas that traditional places make. Deep Pan all the way baby.

 

On 9/1/2019 at 10:48 AM, Stretch616 said:

@GazzaGarratt theres a place near us I'm dying to try. It's an Italian Tapas restaurant!! Pestos i think it's called and comes highly recommended. We'll be doing it for sure when we can sort out some kiddy sitters!!

 

Hell yes, i'm up for that! Love to try an actual Italian that is decent not far from our houses. Lets see if we can go in the next few weeks and report back to FG trip advisor with our findings 🤓😂

 

On 9/1/2019 at 4:48 PM, Docwagon said:

I feel like perhaps I should share my system for finding good local restaurants when traveling.  I assure you that the system always works and that this is not a joke.  When I told a buddy of mine about it he assumed I was just being funny, then he saw it in action when we went to Memphis and it lead us to an incredible local barbecue place. 

 

So what you do is scout for a reasonably well dressed fat woman.  Not morbidly obese fat or you're just going to get a buffet, but fat enough that you're reasonably sure she'll get winded on a flight of stairs.  Nobody under 30 or over 50 years old.  Nobody with children in tow.    If possible, someone without a wedding ring, but if it's a low target environment you might have to go with a married fatty. The manner of dress isn't as important as the apparent value of the clothing.  Someone dressed like someone who'd date her could afford the sort of restaurant you're interested in.  She must, of course, be local and not also a tourist.  Once you've spotted an appropriate fat woman, simply approach with a "pardon me, Ma'am, we're from out of town and was curious as to a good local restaurant." sort of line.  I generally don't specify what type of restaurant so as not to pin them down or make them search their memory.  I want their gut instinct (so to speak).

 

I have done this in multiple states in multiple countries and it has *always* worked out well.

 

LOLZ 😂😂 I think i'd look a little weird waiting for a while in the city centre waiting for a fat single woman to walk past. Waiting too long and i think i'll get questioned by one of you lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

 

 

LOLZ 😂😂 I think i'd look a little weird waiting for a while in the city centre waiting for a fat single woman to walk past. Waiting too long and i think i'll get questioned by one of you lot!

 

Paris was the only place I had trouble finding someone who fit my parameters quickly.  Usually you don't have much of a wait for a weighty gal to wander by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Paris was the only place I had trouble finding someone who fit my parameters quickly.  Usually you don't have much of a wait for a weighty gal to wander by.
Did you ever make it to Catalonia? I cant remember, and the food there is fantastic. I'm lucky, I always stay with locals when I'm abroad and that makes things easy. I avoid other UK people at all costs

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Did you ever make it to Catalonia? I cant remember, and the food there is fantastic. I'm lucky, I always stay with locals when I'm abroad and that makes things easy. I avoid other UK people at all costs emoji28.png

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 

 

Yes, we spent a week in Barcelona.  The Sagrada Familia is the most moving and humbling man-made structure I've ever seen.  I absolutely loved the city.  We're considering going to Madrid at some point as well.  Next year is our next "abroad" vacation.  Should have been this year, but we needed to put a lot of money into home renovation/repair this year and pushed our schedule back a bit to keep the finances comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy