Not cricket eh

phil bottle

I've been watching this unfold with the old pop corn out.

The people the last few years trying to brush this shit under the carpet are as much cowards as the racists.

_121442246_azeem_rafiq__index_getty.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton resigns over the club's response to racism experienced by former...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It was sad indeed. My early thoughts are pretty much bang on the mark. This will start a reform in Cricket, I have no doubt about that. Many heads are going to roll, and rightly so if they've been derogatory in any way.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

The article isn't very specific, but what racism did this chap experience? 

Cricket's always been a bit of a clubby-cliquey sport, be interesting to see what scurries away from the inevitable incoming shitstorm.

Fucks me off too, some of the world's best cricketers are Pakistanis and Indians yet they're treated like shit. 

Also you're welcome England, as a saffer, I hope you're enjoying your Cricket team. 

banlol.png

I think it's only blown up because of how it was handled when he complained. The original racism was of the banter variety, but then compounded by the club and its firm of lawyers and their behaviour following the complaint. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

It was sad indeed. My early thoughts are pretty much bang on the mark. This will start a reform in Cricket, I have no doubt about that. Many heads are going to roll, and rightly so if they've been derogatory in any way.

Yeah, the head of the ECB is a bit of an arse with how he's responded.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Oh dear, this was inevitable

skysports-azeem-rafiq_5504944.jpg?202109
WWW.SKYSPORTS.COM

Azeem Rafiq: I am ashamed of this exchange and have now deleted it so as not to cause further offence. I was 19...

There is a lot more dirt on this guy apparently - much more recent and horrendous than this. No excuse for racism in any sport but it is sickening when all these disgusting clowns try and seek sympathy for the very thing they’ve done themselves and worse. 

Hypocrisy just discredits and puts things like this back to square one. Sports like cricket and rugby are plagued with some terrible things happening from all nationalities, races and ages. Sadly the bodies behind them are more hell-bent on protecting their respective sports and there is just too much money involved too. 

If all the big sports were investigated and people came forward for things that happened in the last 20 years, there would be some shocking disclosures. Nothing will really change though and I'd go as far to say that the people involved in these sports now are probably worse than what they were back then - it's only their false online social media image that makes them look good.

It's a shame you waited until that before commenting, as it just makes your point seem to come from a reactionary place.

I'm talking about confronting things, warts and all.

If an employee who feels they are being bullied reports this to the employer, they should be treated seriously.

In this case the employer just looked to protect itself. 

That is the point here. I don't care about the person, I care about the institution doing what it is supposed to do.

Let me say this clearly.

Sweeping difficult issues under the carpet is nothing less than cowardice.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

It's a shame you waited until that before commenting, as it just makes your point seem to come from a reactionary place.

I'm talking about confronting things, warts and all.

If an employee who feels they are being bullied reports this to the employer, they should be treated seriously.

In this case the employer just looked to protect itself. 

That is the point here. I don't care about the person, I care about the institution doing what it is supposed to do.

Let me say this clearly.

Sweeping difficult issues under the carpet is nothing less than cowardice.

Top level sport will always protect itself sadly. This racism flavour of the week story for the media is nothing new and Is just one portion of problems within the industry not just from the people that govern it, but also the ones that participate too. Discrimination is also commonplace in many other sectors so it's important that there are internal support available as well as independent outside bodies at hand. Sometimes people don't have the courage to report things due to being scared, not believed or being concerned about the career impact, but then again they may also be culpable of things that could come back to bite them. The core issue really needs to be tackled at the top though and organisations should be held accountable from a legal standpoint rather than them dictating the standards. 

Cricket may appear as a gentleman's sport but it is plagued by some of the worst behavior imaginable. The Rafiq public inquiry was also a rushed-job and very one-dimensional. Although it highlighted and exposed some key stuff associated with the ECB, there was way too much broader stuff untouched which was a missed opportunity overall. Now we'll have to wait years for a full public inquiry if it ever materialises at a huge taxpayer cost.

8 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Top level sport will always protect itself sadly. This racism flavour of the week story for the media is nothing new and Is just one portion of problems within the industry not just from the people that govern it, but also the ones that participate too. Discrimination is also commonplace in many other sectors so it's important that there are internal support available as well as independent outside bodies at hand. Sometimes people don't have the courage to report things due to being scared, not believed or being concerned about the career impact, but then again they may also be culpable of things that could come back to bite them. The core issue really needs to be tackled at the top though and organisations should be held accountable from a legal standpoint rather than them dictating the standards. 

Cricket may appear as a gentleman's sport but it is plagued by some of the worst behavior imaginable. The Rafiq public inquiry was also a rushed-job and very one-dimensional. Although it highlighted and exposed some key stuff associated with the ECB, there was way too much broader stuff untouched which was a missed opportunity overall. Now we'll have to wait years for a full public inquiry if it ever materialises at a huge taxpayer cost.

I know, cricket used to be a byword for honour, what happened to that eh😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg