England's Euro 2020 Squad!

GazzaGarratt

Here it is. The 33 whittled down to 26.

20210601_175143.jpg

A lotof talent involved this time round and I have a genuine excitement that we can do well - hopefully as well last time out. Henderson picked for experience and support for the team I think over form and Bellingham in for experience for future competitions, although he has a great chance if we need stability in an out and out midfielder cos there isn't many of them in that squad.

I think Watkins was probably my only disappointment based on his recent form, but its not that much of a shock tbh.

Ready for the over-hyped glory as always? Of course we are! #FootballsComingHome

Thoughts?

Surprised they are taking Walker really - he only plays for City to meet the homegrown quota and I'd put him well behind Reece James and Kieran Trippier. Stones has had a positive season and it's gonna be a tough toss up between Chilwell and Shaw. Sterling has had a pretty dismal year and his consistency in an England shirt is always a factor. Phillips is nowhere near the standard required but Henderson and Mount will be a huge benefit to the team as will Grealish.

Our attack looks very strong - we have perhaps too much depth but Rashford has really gone off the boil which will be a concern going into the tournament but the choice negates this.  I'm still unsure of Foden - he's had blinders against Burnley, Everton and Fulham and has considerable talent but it might be a bit too soon. He tried hard against Chelsea but they disposed of him with incredible ease and he has yet to shine for England even against mediocre opponents. His style could actually be a determinant against more direct and effective play. 

It's always very hard to place England in ability terms and then you never know what team will show up. I just hope most of them can perform like they do for their clubs. 

I think this squad looks pretty good. hes included all of the young exciting players that I think most of the fans want to see in there (grealish, foden, saka, Bellingham). I'm a bit worried about CM tho as Henderson and rice may not be 100% fit as they missed the last part of the season, and mount might be quite tired as hes played an awful lot of games. 

I disagree on Walker though, I think he is a good player, his blistering pace means he rarely gets done and also he could play RB in a 4 or CB in a 3. 

But like tom says all depends how they perform. I am scarred from previous tourneys where we scrape thru the group, and then get beat by a better team a la Germany, France or Belgium.

Mediocre from England so far against Austria at half time. Really not playing as a team - more like individuals. We definitely need that experience that the likes of Henderson brings. Can't see this being anywhere near the team that will play in the Euros though with James, Mount, Chilwell and Foden likely coming in right off the bat. I think TAA is by far the weakest right back and even LIverpool fans are saying he hasn't had a good game this season. 

40 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Why was Lingard playing when he's not going to be in the final squad? Weird. 

I assumed Southgate was just allowing players as much rest as possible after a difficult season, particularly with the City/Chelsea players who weren't present at the game. 

46 minutes ago, jordie1892 said:

I assumed Southgate was just allowing players as much rest as possible after a difficult season, particularly with the City/Chelsea players who weren't present at the game. 

Seems a bit of a pointless game but then again, I'd have kept Lingard in the full squad personally.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Sad to see TAA get injured but we have plenty of options and I'm not sure why there is so much concern. It was a pretty dull display overall but hopefully the other returning half of players will put on a better show Sunday against Romania. It's kinda annoying that both games have a huge player split rather than us being able to play our strongest possible 11 in a test. It also reaffirms concerns that Southgate still possibly doesn't know his best XI and when we aren't fielding a cemented team, we end up usually with wayward and uninspired performances like we did last night. 

Saka looks promising for sure but I still think it's too early for Bellingham. I think Southgate has utilised way too many players of late and we may end up going back to old habits of including any players just because they are English and have had a good few games that season.

12 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Sad to see TAA get injured but we have plenty of options and I'm not sure why there is so much concern. It was a pretty dull display overall but hopefully the other returning half of players will put on a better show Sunday against Romania. It's kinda annoying that both games have a huge player split rather than us being able to play our strongest possible 11 in a test. It also reaffirms concerns that Southgate still possibly doesn't know his best XI and when we aren't fielding a cemented team, we end up usually with wayward and uninspired performances like we did last night. 

Saka looks promising for sure but I still think it's too early for Bellingham. I think Southgate has utilised way too many players of late and we may end up going back to old habits of including any players just because they are English and have had a good few games that season.

Chuffed Trent is injured hes no cyrus christie 💚💚

11 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with that. England's biggest weakness is team selection. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Trent confirmed out for 6 weeks so he will miss the Euros. England only have 25 other right backs to choose from now🤣

He hadn't played for England 7 games previous and had had a poor season so it's no loss and was a stupid inclusion anyway. Instead of trying to recruit a like-for-like player, just give the new slot to a deserved one like Lingard who is fit and has had a great season. We're already taking a huge risk by drafting in 5 unfit/injured players as it is and others who a lot of people have never even bloody heard of. 

It's a shame for trent he is obviously a great player and his time for England will come I'm sure. I agree with James he should replace him with either lingard or another fit CB as Maguire might struggle to get match fit in time. Seems to be typical of most tourneys we always gamble on half fit players and it rarely pays off. Poor performance against Austria too, we were fortunate to get the win in my opinion and they are a bang average side.

Another pretty dire England game and another unconvincing 1-0 win. I was pretty surprised to find out that the Chelsea and Man City players had been excused this time which made the game pretty pointless once again. Debutant keeper Sam Johnstone was brilliant and made an exceptional save but that's not the kinda thing you want to be writing when playing the likes of Romania. Tyone MIngs I don't think is anywhere near the standard required and a better team would've capitalised on many mistakes or positioning errors from him and this wouldn't be the first time either for club or country. Rashford scored the penalty but looked pretty ineffective overall but Grealish looks very useful and probably deserves a start. Shaw was disappointing so I firmly believe Chilwell will get the nod. Ward-Prowse should replace TAA to bolster the midfield and to be honest, a couple of other omissions might not be a bad idea after the last couple of showings. Lingard deserves a spot really. 

To the people worrying about the 1-0 friendlies, I think we are all subject to the English overreaction mentality as per usual. Personally, I think we're absolutely fine.

Just because we've seen people play their first 11 in friendlies before previous tournaments doesn't mean Gareth has to do the same this time round. I actually think we were subject to burnout in the last World Cup and thats why we lost the Semi Final so I think by resting all of these players as long as they can after an intense on-off covid impacted season.

The squad has extremely good depth and taking more defenders makes sense because thats where we all know our issues lie. I don't think we are ever questioning the attacking talent in this side.

I'm excited. It's gonna be tough due to the teams we have as Eastern European teams are usually hard teams to break down but I'd take a 1-0 win against Croatia and Czech Republic.

My starting XI probably would be:-

Pickford (GK)

Stones         Maguire      Trippier  

James                                                                Chilwell 

Mount              Henderson           Grealish 

Rashford       Kane 

What I think he will play:-

Pickford (GK)

Walker         Stones        Mings       Shaw 

Rice             Mount         Grealish

Rashford       Kane       Foden 

Pickford is the weak link for me at the back. Also have mixed feelings about Shaw. On a good day, yes.

Really really hope Grealish starts.

I'd make Rashford a late impact super sub. 

Henderson not match fit and I'm not a fan anyway.

Sterling needs to be in there too, for me. What a perfect occasion to return to form...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

46 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Pickford is the weak link for me at the back. Also have mixed feelings about Shaw. On a good day, yes.

Really really hope Grealish starts.

I'd make Rashford a late impact super sub. 

Henderson not match fit and I'm not a fan anyway.

Sterling needs to be in there too, for me. What a perfect occasion to return to form...

I'm fine with Pickford, he's far better than what we've had years gone by and they were held in a higher status. I'm with you on Shaw although its only between him and Chilwell which i'm not bothered who goes there.

Interestingly everyone seems to be going for James for RWB and thats a surprise in my book. Yep, we know I'm a Trippier fan but it seems to have gone under the radar that he won La Liga with Atletico and also finished in the Team of the Year so its a difficult job to leave him out in my honest opinion. He will always do a great job at bothe defnding and attacking, plus his free kick / corner delivery.

I'm not normally a fan of Rice or Mount but I have top accept they seem to be holding the CDM and Free Role jobs mostly on their own under Southgate.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm fine with Pickford, he's far better than what we've had years gone by and they were held in a higher status. I'm with you on Shaw although its only between him and Chilwell which i'm not bothered who goes there.

Interestingly everyone seems to be going for James for RWB and thats a surprise in my book. Yep, we know I'm a Trippier fan but it seems to have gone under the radar that he won La Liga with Atletico and also finished in the Team of the Year so its a difficult job to leave him out in my honest opinion. He will always do a great job at bothe defnding and attacking, plus his free kick / corner delivery.

I'm not normally a fan of Rice or Mount but I have top accept they seem to be holding the CDM and Free Role jobs mostly on their own under Southgate.

Tripper does back passes without looking and if he's nervous has a bad game.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

We've had so many keepers in recent years but PIckford is the only one that's had a consistent run and is proven to a degree at this level. We pissed about too much trying to find the ideal one but now Southgate has to stick with his choice he's used in many competitive games. The rest are clearly competent keepers but none have truly stated their claim for the shirt, nor have had a cemented run in the first team.