Anyone got an Xbox Series S?

Antpool84

Hi all. My youngest is wanting to upgrade his xbox one s to an xbox series s (trading in his xbox and switch which he never plays 🙄😂) so wanted to see if anyone had any advice regarding storage or anything else really. He has currently got an external hard drive which he stores games on, will this just plug straight in to the series s or would he need to download the games again? Thanks in advance 🙂

Best advice is don't get an Xbox Series S because it's literally a sideways step compared to the Xbox One. If he has any extra money available, I'd trade the two in and then pay the difference to get a Series X. The S is pretty weak and developers are already raising major concerns about its limitations even in the short term. Just like the first generation of Xbox 360's, people will end up having no choice but to buy the newer model else suffer an significantly inferior experience plus also potentially miss out on newer titles even just a couple of years away.  

2 hours ago, Antpool84 said:

Hi all. My youngest is wanting to upgrade his xbox one s to an xbox series s (trading in his xbox and switch which he never plays 🙄😂) so wanted to see if anyone had any advice regarding storage or anything else really. He has currently got an external hard drive which he stores games on, will this just plug straight in to the series s or would he need to download the games again? Thanks in advance 🙂

I believe the games would need to be optimised for the new console, so I'd say he would have to download them.

Also agree with @J4MES OX4D  it's definitely better to go with the series x.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

At the moment with the price difference between the consoles he wouldnt be about to get the series x, as there would still be at least £200 to pay on top, even for a second hand one. 

He has game pass so downloading wouldnt be an issue. I'm guessing if it a game you have purchased it would remember you have boughg it on your account so you can redownload it

16 minutes ago, Antpool84 said:

At the moment with the price difference between the consoles he wouldnt be about to get the series x, as there would still be at least £200 to pay on top, even for a second hand one. 

He has game pass so downloading wouldnt be an issue. I'm guessing if it a game you have purchased it would remember you have boughg it on your account so you can redownload it

Yep, he can play any Xbox game from any generation on the new consoles, a very nice touch by Microsoft to be fair.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

39 minutes ago, Antpool84 said:

At the moment with the price difference between the consoles he wouldn't be about to get the series x, as there would still be at least £200 to pay on top, even for a second hand one. 

How much is he being offered for the Switch and the Xbox One S separately out of interest?

Forum Signature Test.png

2 hours ago, Antpool84 said:

In that case then I'd grab an S. It is a digital-only console so he'll be able to play any digitally purchased titles previous plus any active Xbox Game Pass titles when signed into an existing account. The console may experience some significant limitations in a couple of years and some games may not even get supported by it, plus the trade in value by then will be incredibly low (less than £80) if he wanted to upgrade. If possible, I would also consider getting the £166 on a voucher and just keeping the Xbox One S for the rest of the year. Then trade that in come Christmas and if there is a Series X price drop then it may only be an extra £80-100 with the £166 on record and any £50-odd+ for the Xbox. You could pick up a Series S in the bargain bins for £180 last year too. 

If he just wants a new console right now that will do a turn for a couple of years then go for it but once again Microsoft have given customers a console which seemed appealing in price but it's more of a tactic to get paid off twice at the very least.