FG Game of the Year 2022

J4MES OX4D

What's everyone's game of the year for 2022? Very tough choice this year - plenty of big names and some good titles although most were still pretty much old gen ones that didn't stand out massively, a bit like Horizon Forbidden West which has been gone and forgotten by now. Elden Ring swept up at the awards but I think that even had some surprise flaws that prevented me from choosing it. Didn't get round to SIFU but that game has been very impressive according to other players and Ragnarok is another one up there that I've still yet to buy. Some unique titles like Stray, Cult of the Lamb, Narco and Pentiment also came out. 

Personally I will give it to Vampire Survivors - really unique and addictive game that represents unreal value for money non-stop entertainment. 98% positive on Steam with over 160,000 and around 5m copies sold. Also a sublime title for the Steam Deck. 

I've said it for most of the year that mine would be Elden Ring.  FS took everything they've learned with the soul's formula and perfected it in my opinion.   Vampire Survivors created a whole new genre of games and made me add that to have a co-GoTY.  Then, High on Life came in at the end and just made my day.  To sit back and just enjoy a game that didn't take itself seriously while enjoying almost every aspect of it, I'm gonna give it my Xbox GoTY easily.  

Horizon FW didn't really do anything new to me.  It was fun, but felt more of the same.  Sifu was fantastic.  I really enjoyed getting into that one and learning out to dodge and combat multiple enemies in different ways.  Frustrating at times, yes.  but worth it.  GoW Ragnarok was a fun one even though the Atreus parts really sucked IMO.  RE:Village started off really good before devolving into a more action focused game which kind of sucked to be honest.  Especially after the doll house area. 

I know there's more I can't think of off the top of my head, but it was a decent year for games to be sure.  2023 should be interesting too.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I don't tend to play that many new games, but Metal: Hellsinger has to be my GOTY but I'm biased as I love heavy metal based video games. Brutal Legend is one of my top games of all time. 

Runners up would be Shredders Revenge and Vampire Survivors

MW2 has been quite a success and plenty of us have been playing it.

However, two very different games stand out for me. 

1. Elden Ring 

I've just started playing Elden Ring for the first time, and already I wish I'd played it sooner. Pure quality and smooth as butter on PS5.

2. Vampire Survivors 

Addicive and perfect on Steam Deck. I only started playing properly last night and ended up playing until 3am. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I can't believe i'm putting a Call of Duty in there but based on my playtime and how I feel the game flows both on Single Player, DMZ, Warzone and Multiplayer it deserves to be mentioned. Early on in the year I'd probably say Shredder's Revenge was one that I think that should be in there like @Tove  said.

I haven't really played any of the top games that have been mentioned though so can't really comment on how amazing they are. I must admit, for the first time in Destiny's history, the Witch Queen campaign was the best campaign they've ever made so for a few months it was up there for me too.

Forum Signature Test.png

Am I aloud to put last of us part 1 for the ps5?

Soley due to the fact in my eyes its one of the best games I've ever played and the what ever you want to call it remake remaster it's a stunning game and the story is powerful from the start.

Close second MW2 not many issues on my side apart from a map I try not to play and a game mode even if I bitch about it.

slamminbones.png

For me it's Horizon forbidden west by default I feel.

For me I tend to make my decision based on (in order of importance) - Story telling, visuals, music and gameplay. So for me there is an importance on immersion.

There have not been many new games this year that have really scratched the itch so to speak. Most of the games I have played this year have been from years gone by with the exceptions of Horizon, COD, Fifa and midnight suns I think?

COD & fifa get avoided purely because they are just new iterations of the previous game and though I enjoy them, they are not groundbreaking or new.

I enjoyed Crisis Core recently but it's a remaster (new visuals) and I would tend to avoid picking them as they are nothing new.

So Horizon Forbidden West is my choice, the storyline continued on from the first game, big open world to explore. The game itself looked fantastic and the combat is good fun. 

Luseth.png