Why the maps suck

techno

With the exception of a couple of maps the ones that launched haven’t been that bad. Honestly they really remind me of BF 3/4 maps if you played Dom or TDM without being able to blow them up. Multiple levels with doors and windows. 

I agree with both of you here's why, are the MW2 maps bad not in my opinion. Are they better than MW19 maps hell yes. 

Everyone slags Vanguard. Now the maps on that game were ok, some good and some bad. They launched with 16 yes 16 6v6 maps. 

Cold War maps felt like the old school 3 Lane back in the day maps. 

Vanguard and Cold War didn't suffer from the curse of Warzone map design for MP. 

They didn't want Treyarchs goofy yet fun and colourful maps, nor did they want Sledgehammers WW2 stuff in their Warzone. 

The recent Modern Warfares suffered from this building a big map, and cutting bits down and scaling it down for MP. 

6v6 map design is essentially a by product or leftovers if you would of Warzone. 

Now are MW2s maps as good as the OG MW2, BO1, BO2, MW3? Most definitely not. I don't think they are all that bad tho. 

I think most of the maps extracted from ground war were still hand-crafted from the ground up rather than simply cherrypicked as warzone locations deemed suitable for core multiplayer. These maps are definitely more detailed and refined when compared to how they appear on the full scale map. They are actually not too bad and whether it was a chicken or egg situation as to how it was executed, the developers have not done a good job of explaining their work, however I don't think they need to as the maps work pretty well in most cases. 

What the developers do have to answer to is what was going through their minds when they decided to produce to-scale real-world locations without permissions or copyright. This is an astonishing oversight really. I don't know how these maps were born - probably some of the devs got inspired by locations outside of the Warzone map and completely lost sight of common sense. Can't fault the detail and the way they are replicated but it's just bizarre inclusions all round especially with areas not even associated with the game. 

My real complaint is the lack of terrain variety with this method - we have no snow and the likes of the race track act as a bit of a blessing as it's something different when compared to the South American backdrop. On the whole though, I think most of the maps work well in the modes on offer irrespective of how they were designed but I am a bit miffed at the lack of content especially with season one. 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:07 AM, IRaMPaGe said:

I agree with both of you here's why, are the MW2 maps bad not in my opinion. Are they better than MW19 maps hell yes. 

Everyone slags Vanguard. Now the maps on that game were ok, some good and some bad. They launched with 16 yes 16 6v6 maps. 

Cold War maps felt like the old school 3 Lane back in the day maps. 

Vanguard and Cold War didn't suffer from the curse of Warzone map design for MP. 

They didn't want Treyarchs goofy yet fun and colourful maps, nor did they want Sledgehammers WW2 stuff in their Warzone. 

The recent Modern Warfares suffered from this building a big map, and cutting bits down and scaling it down for MP. 

6v6 map design is essentially a by product or leftovers if you would of Warzone. 

Now are MW2s maps as good as the OG MW2, BO1, BO2, MW3? Most definitely not. I don't think they are all that bad tho. 

Love how you broke this down Kenny. 3Arc’s map design still is the golden standard in my eyes. When you stop and think about it the original MW2 maps were really pretty shitty. Tons of doors and windows and corners for people to hide in. Yes there were some great maps mixed in but as a whole their map design has always been multilevel with rooms to hide and windows to camp. Then the others were more open with a cluster fuck for the power position. First team to get to it and hold it wins. 

I think IW does a good job at map design when it comes to objective mode games but let’s be fair most of the CoD community doesn’t PTFO. I’ve always love domination but never play it because if you’re solo or a duo and your team sucks you get rolled. I have played more KC in this one since you can run score streaks and really rack up tags and streaks since teammates seem to avoid them. 

1 hour ago, TigerBurge said:

Love how you broke this down Kenny. 3Arc’s map design still is the golden standard in my eyes. When you stop and think about it the original MW2 maps were really pretty shitty. Tons of doors and windows and corners for people to hide in. Yes there were some great maps mixed in but as a whole their map design has always been multilevel with rooms to hide and windows to camp. Then the others were more open with a cluster fuck for the power position. First team to get to it and hold it wins. 

I think IW does a good job at map design when it comes to objective mode games but let’s be fair most of the CoD community doesn’t PTFO. I’ve always love domination but never play it because if you’re solo or a duo and your team sucks you get rolled. I have played more KC in this one since you can run score streaks and really rack up tags and streaks since teammates seem to avoid them. 

You should try DOM. I have played that or TDM and on XBOX they seem to play the objective far more than I am use to. Where I get trashed is where there is an organized party that communicates well since I've only played solo.  Even then I can do kind of decent. 

On 11/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, techno said:

100%

I've said all along the main reason these games are ass is because of shit map design first, everything else is secondary to map design.

I really can't get with this. This guy I know is putting it across in a way more damning way to get more views but its no way near that bad on this game than the previous 3-4 CoDs which goes to show this game is much better than expected.

I think making maps to be able to re-use the areas for multiple gamemodes makes absolute sense - the file size of the game gets hurt even more if you just make bespoke 6v6 maps alone. We'll all agree that there are some maps that it just doesn't work out and feels lazy, such as Taraq, but in the main I think most do. He shows gameplay of the racetrack one and that by far has great lanes but also good interchanges between the middle and the side rooms imo.

Taraq is the only one I feel like I am running across the map forever and get picked off so quickly and easily. The Border Crossing is my only other poor map but even then its trying to do something different with the maps rather than the standard box sized 3 lanes.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Funny thing is that a lot of people are saying that Taraq is a remake of he Neuville map from COD1.  I looked at the basics and they may have a point. 

Don't know what people were saying when they first played that map but its kind of funny that a map that is that old gets these kind of comments

I play a lot of DOM on Taraq. I find that Fortress and Asilo are way worse for that game mode.

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Funny thing is that a lot of people are saying that Taraq is a remake of he Neuville map from COD1.  I looked at the basics and they may have a point. 

Don't know what people were saying when they first played that map but its kind of funny that a map that is that old gets these kind of comments

I play a lot of DOM on Taraq. I find that Fortress and Asilo are way worse for that game mode.

I wouldn't have played it back then so unfortunately dont have comparisons to fall back on. I think the challenge is any type of map design is always worth a try, but when it is a square map that is on the whole, wide open from most corners, it literally forces you to camp or play extremely slowly to move from flag to flag. It is literally suicide running through the middle as its wide open and you get picked off so quickly, so you resort to Plan B, which is run around the edge to capture flags far away...but 7-8 times out of 10, you find you run for 1-2 minutes to be shot quickly at the other end, which means a long ass run for your next death. Other maps like Border Crossing (starting to come round to this map abit more) have multiple ways to play it. Thats what maps need, just different angles and possibilities.

The worse thing going for Taraq is like @TigerBurge  said, is generally how CoD players usually play. They don't play like FG does of which 95% of us PTFO. That map is designed to help those campers that just want kills, whereas others you can flip spawns quickly and force the slow campy players that don't play objectives out of their holes more often.

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I really can't get with this. This guy I know is putting it across in a way more damning way to get more views but its no way near that bad on this game than the previous 3-4 CoDs which goes to show this game is much better than expected.

I think making maps to be able to re-use the areas for multiple gamemodes makes absolute sense - the file size of the game gets hurt even more if you just make bespoke 6v6 maps alone. We'll all agree that there are some maps that it just doesn't work out and feels lazy, such as Taraq, but in the main I think most do. He shows gameplay of the racetrack one and that by far has great lanes but also good interchanges between the middle and the side rooms imo.

Taraq is the only one I feel like I am running across the map forever and get picked off so quickly and easily. The Border Crossing is my only other poor map but even then its trying to do something different with the maps rather than the standard box sized 3 lanes.

I'm sorry I couldn't disagree more. Having maps better than the last 3-4 cod's isn't a win as they are regarded as some of the worst ever. I also think that the maps on cold war were better but still nothing to write home about. 

Saying having bespoke maps for 6v6 hurt the file size and should be used for othet gamemodes makes sense shows how little they value 6v6 multiplayer in favour of gamemodes that probably get way less traffic and are there imo to make it look like more content however we can agree to disagree but from my point of view as a 6v6 player exclusively it's just another mail in this games coffin. Still I'm hopeful eventually they will add some real 6v6 maps in but I won't hold my breath. 

One other thing how many of these over complicated mazes do you think we will see again as "fan favourites" ?   I'd bet none.

nail in the coffin? The game had the best opening weekend and is the fastest cod to reach $1B. it's demise is highly exaggerated. 

I see a lot a people like myself enjoy it. My first cod was MW2 in 2009. I didn't play Vanguard, I didn't reach max level of the 3 before that because the sucked so much. 

So I think despite your dislikes, it will do quite fine

1 minute ago, cyberninja2601 said:

nail in the coffin? The game had the best opening weekend and is the fastest cod to reach $1B. it's demise is highly exaggerated. 

I see a lot a people like myself enjoy it. My first cod was MW2 in 2009. I didn't play Vanguard, I didn't reach max level of the 3 before that because the sucked so much. 

So I think despite your dislikes, it will do quite fine

I should have been more clear, when I said nail in it's coffin I meant from my pov, we all know they could sell Bejeweled turds to most of this community if it had the call of duty name on it.

I was actually being reasonable when I said the last 3-4 CoDs, Gaz. For me, this game does have some of the best maps i've played in a long ass time. 😄

I don't have rose tinted glasses on for all those old CoD games and when we've played reprised old CoDs the games didn't play well. MW Remastered is only worth FG private games and thats about it. I just can't see how they are that bad.

I'm glad this CoD has at least got us talking, even if we are polar opposites! 🤣

46 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I was actually being reasonable when I said the last 3-4 CoDs, Gaz. For me, this game does have some of the best maps i've played in a long ass time. 😄

I don't have rose tinted glasses on for all those old CoD games and when we've played reprised old CoDs the games didn't play well. MW Remastered is only worth FG private games and thats about it. I just can't see how they are that bad.

I'm glad this CoD has at least got us talking, even if we are polar opposites! 🤣

Like all things entertainment we all have our own opinions. 

However I agree about mw remastered but we can't really blame maps for that, I have also stated that people would want new maps but they seem to want fan favourites to return. Why?  Surely we'd prefer new favourites ? 

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some actual fan favourites eventually 😉

15 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Asilo is the absolute worst map in this game. The flow sucks. The pacing sucks. Too many doors and rooms for people

to hide in. I would play the border map all day vs this one 

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That’s the thing with CoD games. People will always love to previous ones. They preach how they want change yet when they make a change it’s, we hate this. Why change. MW 2 was the most broken CoD game of all time. I absolutely loved it. It wasn’t the best in the series. The maps ABSOLUTELY catered to a slower, campier play style. With the exception of a couple of smaller maps it was get you first streak. Let it get your second then nuke. The maps made it when you were easily spawn trapped. 3 Arcs map design is definitely better. More of the three lane where once again you can easily spawn trap. Blops 2 had probably the best core maps in the series. That said it also had a couple of the absolute worst maps ever created. 

6 hours ago, TigerBurge said:

Asilo is the absolute worst map in this game. The flow sucks. The pacing sucks. Too many doors and rooms for people

to hide in. I would play the border map all day vs this one 

They could probably reduce the spawn areas by a good 50% either side also. Although I don't dislike the map too much, you're either in empty areas or the hotly contested central building with camp spots galore. Not a fan of the aesthetic - really can't understand why they choose a dusk-style backdrop on a game with poor visibility as it is. Daylight and a bit of colour would've made some difference. 

I'd agree that Asilo feels like a map where if you're aren't on the top of your game all the time, you end up getting trounced due to the flow of people holding up the windows and lanes near the open courtyard.

Whilst still the worst map for me is Border Crossing, its not as bad as first thought out. I actually think Prisoner Rescue works well on it and its always quite funny at the start of a round seeing everyone from both sides rain in grenades to the point to get an early pick.

I also think this Shoot House design is probably the best i've played. They've done a great job of making it feel new and the surrounding scenery makes it more difficult to just get kills from usual places.