I’ve been looking forward to this one so this news is disappointing.  But, I’d rather they get it done right then rush it.  

D5B2D637-1628-42A7-989F-0599CB3DA634.jpeg

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Most places these days have a 'pass' for this kind of message due to so many developers not being able to accurately predict when they are ready. Always seems the right thing to do, to have a more finished product out there. Although, it does make you slightly concerned as not all delayed releases still launch well *cough Anthem cough*  😄Fingers crossed they can use the time to launch really well.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

On 3/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, IRaMPaGe said:

It sucks when a game is delayed, however I would rather more time given to hopefully sort things rather than the half baked release. 

Especially these days with the likes of Cod, BF, Cyberpunk etc. 

I agree 100%.  

I'm getting the same kind of vibes i got when zero dawn was announced back when.  If it means a completely polished experience come launch, then take all the time they need.

Looks pretty interesting but as mentioned in the video, the marketing behind this game has done it a complete disservice - I just hope people can see past that and that the game delivers to its potential. If anyone hasn't seen some of the marketing on social media in recent weeks, don't bother as it's absolutely mortifying. 

As long as the finished product is worth it, That's all I care about.  There's been far too many new IPs that have shit the bed as of late.  Looking at you Outriders.

A demo for this popped up during the Game Awards for the PS5, so I gave it a go.  The world looks really beautiful and the magical combat is really fun to utilize.  There's a "magical parkour" movement system that basically propels you over obstacles while holding the circle button while dashing.  It's neat, but you can also scale walls with it by tapping the circle button a few times during a climb.  

While it looks and plays really well, the style has me taking a pause about whether this will be a day one purchase.  I found the dialog to be rather dull and lifeless, and the game is showing the usual troupes of a stealth/action/adventure/open-world/crafting kind of game.  I'll be curious to see how this reviews as a lot of similar complaints are being levied by some web sites.  time will tell, but I do hope it's a solid game.

I don't bother too much with demos or betas these days as I find they are builds that tend to be quite a few months older than the date they are released.

If you consider that's potentially September maybe even August build, that's getting on for 4 - 5 months polish before launch and that can make quite a big difference to the end game.

I actually have it on pre-order, even if it's just a glorious looking world and game that would be enough for me because right now my PS5 feels like a glorified PS4...

Luseth.png

Haven't got round to playing the demo yet but did watch some of the footage. Bit on the fence with it really and the gameplay just seems to lack flow when compared to the likes of Nier or DMC. I'll definitely wait for reviews for this one. 

Reviews are in and it's all rather mixed with some damning complaints such as generic, bland gameplay and god awful writing. Doesn't appear the PC keys were sent out as promised and with the outrageous system requirements in place, that sounds like it'll be an unoptimised mess on there

Whenever a developer selects where their keys go to, its always a warning sign as to what to expect so not surprised most (not all) that did receive it have rated the game decent but not setting the world alight.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I'm not surprised by this at all.  At least there was a demo pre-release for folks interested but unwilling to fork out close to $100 for a shit game.  Such a damn shame.  I feel this IP could have had a really good chance had the developers gave it a main character that was more likeable as well as some extra polishing here and there.  I even said the demo felt lifeless and the dialogue was just awful.  

Keep your eyes peeled for this one to go on sale relatively quick.  Hell, maybe even a freebie.  Also, this is the same developer working on FF16.  What the fuck happened to Square-Enix?  

5 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I'm not surprised by this at all.  At least there was a demo pre-release for folks interested but unwilling to fork out close to $100 for a shit game.  Such a damn shame.  I feel this IP could have had a really good chance had the developers gave it a main character that was more likeable as well as some extra polishing here and there.  I even said the demo felt lifeless and the dialogue was just awful.  

Keep your eyes peeled for this one to go on sale relatively quick.  Hell, maybe even a freebie.  Also, this is the same developer working on FF16.  What the fuck happened to Square-Enix?  

Square Enix basically pissed away their entire portfolio so they could fund NFT’s last year. 3 days after they invested, the market collapsed by 90% and they literally have nothing left apart from FF and some crappy fringe brands like this. Literally sold their entire 30-odd year history and soul for something that wiped out their money in 72 hours.

Forspoken seems to have a relentless identity crisis in terms of its design and the writing looks like it was done by some immature student - some of the dialogue is absolutely mortifying, unnecessary and utterly embarrassing. It’s basically Horizon Zero Dawn from Wish.

Just out of curiosity James have you played the game? Or if not where did you get the idea that the dialogue is as bad as you are suggesting? I.e. were we able to see the script pre-release?

The fact the keys were not issued to pc gamers is telling of the performance issues that are going to be there, though I do know a couple of people who are playing on pc and said so far they have not really had many major issues.

I have this game to play actually so once I have got started with it will put in some views but the signs do suggest that the game is decent but somewhat incomplete may be a better way to put it. I.e. similar to no mans sky and fallout 76 when they first launched? The couple of people I know playing it said that the actual gameplay, traversing of the map and combat etc is actually quite good fun but didn't give much away about the story knowing that I will be playing it. I tend to ignore reviews these day's because they can be such a mixed bag and I can tend to enjoy games that they do not or find that games that reviewers tend to love, I just do not get on with. Couple of recent examples include elden ring (reviewed well and I did not enjoy), days gone (reviewed badly and I enjoyed), dying light (did not review well but was one of my most enjoyable games the past ten years.

The NFT decision was a terrible move by square and I think I read something recently that they are still backing their decision? I may be wrong though. Final Fantasy saved them once but as much as I love that series it has mostly gone down the toilet in recent years (the exception being FF14 but it's not one I play). I think a lot of their problems come from poor management.

Just as a note, a lot of their "crappy fringe brands" as you point out James are some of the best games they have created in years and tends to be where you find the best that Square has to offer, it is the big games that tend to do much worse and that's because they are trying to make Western style games with a Japanese touch to them, people don't want that from Square (we already have good Western games that then make these look bad). A lot of their greatest games in recent years are the smaller budget one's, I would love any of these to get the same sort of budget that FF or Forspoken has, they could easily be mind blowing games.

Dragon Quest (Their last game rated incredibly high and was old school FF) The builders games were great fun too

Nier (This has quite the cult following now)

Kingdom Hearts certainly isn't going anywhere anytime soon (I thiunk this does get a big budget anyway?)

Star Ocean - Yes the game before was bad but this latest one was heading back in the right direction

Octopath Traveller is getting it's second game and is building into something and I suspect Triangle Strategy will go the same way

Bravely Default is looking more and more likely to get it's next game too.

The plus as well is that they do keep trying to bring new IP's to the market, whilst a lot of the Western studios we will just be playing call of duty, ffa (EA Sports FC), dark souls 27 in 20-30 years time.

Even Sony's games are much of the same these days and often based on IP's they have had in the brand for quite some time and with Microsoft, have they released anything new since the og xbox?

Don't get me wrong Square have made some bad decisions but they have made some good one's too.

Luseth.png

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

Just out of curiosity James have you played the game? Or if not where did you get the idea that the dialogue is as bad as you are suggesting? I.e. were we able to see the script pre-release?

I watched the demo from start to finish that has been out for over a month now plus the game was widely ridiculed for its vulgar and unnecessary expletives leading up to release which was even provided in the promotional material.  This all after its woeful early marketing which questioned the games bizarre wayward tone and inconsistent maturity. A likable character for me is essential and I'm just not a fan of ones that have to be 'edgy' for no reason. 

91a1a40fd3d657680ef5646b0c756585.jpg?qua

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

Just as a note, a lot of their "crappy fringe brands" as you point out James are some of the best games they have created in years and tends to be where you find the best that Square has to offer

Which ones are those then? Their more popular 'fringe' titles are actually ones the simply publish of behalf of developers to fill their void. Games like Babylons Fall which they had an active role in its creative development failed shamefully. They sold Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Thief for a pittance and mitigated that with local quantity which they have absolutely no input in other than planting it in their store. Sure they have safe brands which they don't have an active input in like Nier but what they do touch either fails miserably or is of highly inferior quality. 

They are also putting in a large amount of money in Disney titles and have failed to return a profit on every single title so far. Marvel Avengers has just been shut down after selling less than 3.5m copies after a budget of over $100m. There is just no creativity left in the company and no business brains either it seems. Another major AAA publisher that had so much potenial and deep pockets and just like Ubisoft, they make some awful decisions that are tone deaf and totally out of touch. 

I tried to watch Worthabuy's video on this game but wasn't a good use of my time as he clearly went into looking to hate on it. Not very balanced and not very helpful. But he is bit of a miserable old cunt sometimes 🙈

I don't care about the context, or the character's dialogue,  I'm getting old and I understand these games aren't made for my demographic.

However, from what I've seen it looks a bit janky gameplay-wise so I'll be interested in the thoughts of @Luseth  and @Riff Machine  if they both play it.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Having spent a good few hours on it today I found that I enjoyed it more than the reviews would suggest I should have.

I have also just realised it is a bigger review than I had intended so apologies and dont worry if you dont fancy reading it all 🙂

To respond to James’ last post first, watching a demo is never going to be the same experience as playing the demo or full game experience. I have never understood how anyone can really appreciate a game by watching someone else’s playthrough :S

I will agree there are a few flew expletives but when you play through the actual story you begin to see why as it stems from the characters background growing up. It’s not as clear cut as being edgy for the sake of it but trying to create a character.

My thoughts on the game so far (will break down into categories) -

Characters - The main protagonist is not going to be memorable. She does a job but she is never going to be a Cloud or a Sora. She just fills a role. 5/10 for the lead character, there are some side characters though that I think are better.

Gameplay - For me this is seemingly more of a let down than I thought it would be. The world traversal is great, the combat seems a little clunky though. You can see the souls like game influence on this with some of the bosses which is quite cool and some of the monsters are pretty creative. 6.5/10

Plot - When I said there are souls like elements this does apply to some of the lore as well, there are a lot of items to pick up that then give you a bit of info to read on the world. I have never been keen on that sort of thing as I like to just get on and play the game. The storyline I think I can already fathom where its going, I hope there are some twists, there are some elements that have been done before but I do think the storyline has potential so a 7/10 there with the potential for it to finish higher. Reading a couple of reviews earlier today the storyline does not get rated highly but considering the review keys came out so late I don’t know how anyone would have completed the game to really say for certain.

Sound - I picked up a new headset the other day and I am glad I did because the audio is pretty great 🙂 They seem to hit the right notes and it feels a bit Final Fantasy esque for it. So would give it 8/10

Visuals - This for me was always my main focus for this game, I wanted to see what the ps5 could be capable graphically. On this I think it delivers, the game looks fantastic, the beasts look great and one thing I had noticed is the draw distance seems to be huge (and may be one of the reasons there is so much demand on the machine with the pc version. I would give it a 9/10 (I feel like there is a bit more in the ps5 yet to come.

The world - This again seems to have reviewed badly by a lot of reviewers. But this strikes me as a reviewer not paying attention to the game and story as they race through the opening few hours (which is a bit slow mind). The world is lifeless in that there are not towns or cities or people walking about but when you pay attention to the story there is a reason for it. The world itself has a main central hub (populated city) and the world itself is then full of enemies of various varieties. It has a feeling of emptiness but as I say, I feel like its intended rather than they did not complete the game for example.

Overall my first impressions are more positive than negative and the game certainly does not deserve the flak it has been receiving (especially from people who have not played it or never intend to, though that seems to be commonplace today which I don’t quite understand.

For me its a solid enough game, does it justify the high price tag? Not quite from first experiences. It’s a solid game and I would give it a 7.5/10 thus far. As I say though I am only a handful of hours in (I feel like I am at the point where a lot of reviewers felt they knew enough about the game without really paying attention to what was happening within the game. I.e it has taken me 4 hours but took them 2).

Will I enjoy it enough to play through? I suspect so.

Luseth.png

Like I said previously, the demo didn't feel that great IMO.  I'll wait until this either goes on a big sale, becomes a PS Plus game, is gifted to me in some form or obtained in a police auction of some minor criminals estate.

I'm glad you're enjoying it though @Luseth  Keep the updates coming.  🤘🏻

16 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

Like I said previously, the demo didn't feel that great IMO.  I'll wait until this either goes on a big sale, becomes a PS Plus game, is gifted to me in some form or obtained in a police auction of some minor criminals estate

I still can't get my head around that it's £20 more than Elden Ring! 

5 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I still can't get my head around that it's £20 more than Elden Ring! 

Right?!  I suppose that's the price we must pay to have "hollywood talent" work/star in a game.  

It looks like this one will be getting a QoL update in the near future.

forspoken_patch.jpg