Battlefield 1 First Impressions

J4MES OX4D

Seems a decent game with some great maps but fuck me it's a bit of a lagfest at times and the UI is total trash. Can't even customise a loadout in the menu and you have to fuck around unlocking guns and creating a loadout when you're in the bloody match for christ sake! That's the equivalent of opening a supply drop in Call of Duty when you're on a killstreak midgame:rolleyes:

Conquest ain't the same now it's not purely ticket based. Operations fuses that and Rush together and it works pretty well until the team that's losing gets handicapped to steal victory out of nothing. The game also seems full of CoD players who don't have a clue. 

Despite all that; it's not too bad and good fun at times. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

You can go over here a create loadouts  https://www.battlefield.com/companion/login

Cheers! Seems EA removed the loadout creation from the core menus to stabalise the feature so it will be implemented in due course. Bit of a pain customising on the fly or through the app but it's nice to know that the function is incoming and that it's not some daft oversight. 

First impressions...

As much ad it pains me to say it, Euan was right in saying that conquest sucks. There's too much shit going on that can kill you and keeping an eye on everything is impossible. Domination is great fun, especially in a party. I like that there are no vehicles because just as with every other battlefield game, there are always dicks flying around in planes contributing the square root of fuck all to the team. I also like the fact that dom is 10v10 so with a few of us on you have much less chance of some stupid sniper joining who sits at the back of the map and doesn't help cap / defend flags.

The maps are great, I love the setting, the atmosphere is spot on. Gunplay is good but the hit detection can be absolutely awful at times. One major irritating thing for me is going to a downed team mate, pressing right on the D pad and my dude puts his gas mask on. This in the heat of battle is a pain in the arse which costs precious time. Whether it's my joystick or a bug I don't know. 

The classes are great but I really miss engineer. That was an epic class and would be fantastic in this what with all the rickety tanks and stuff. Horses can take more hits than a tank which is odd, they must've fed them spinach back then. 

So far ts great fun, really enjoying it and being able to jump in to a game mode with no vehicles and less chance of dumb fucks is fantastic. 

One gripe: people who res as soon as they die. I'll be 3m away from a corpse so I run over to it and the guy fucking revives. On the flip side, people who pick medic and then stand on top of your corpse but don't revive. Idiots.

I revived Euan a lot last night.

banlol.png

What's the problem with the lack of an Engineer? There is supposed to be a tanker class that has the repair tool when you spawn into a tank. I'm not sure how it works but there is the ability to repair the vehicles. There is also self repair if you are the driver. That I used a lot in beta. Just go and hide behind something and be ready to engage. I liked since you didn't have to get out of the vehicle to repair but it seemed slower that a repair tool.

People are probably avoiding the revive because of Beta. People were complaining bitterly that it didn't work and most medics ignored reviving. 

Great first scene. Really well put together. I have confidence that the campaign will live up to expectations and I'm looking forward to putting some hours in on it.

I need more time with MP to make a worthwhile comment. I do enjoy the overall experience, especially in a group. At the minute though, there are quite a few things niggling me. The UI wasn't thought out at all, which really bothers me (cos I sometimes can't get in a game or struggle to pick a weapon) and controls are just a little off. Hit detection being off is hurting the game quite a bit. Need to find a weapon that suits me and my style which should help the gameplay some more for me.

It does look fantastic. They have thought about the aesthetics which is cool. I wish the squad size was at least 8 rather than 5.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

48 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Campaign can be completed in 3 hours apparently - anyone finished it yet and can concrete confirm this? If true; I may save it for when the servers are down due to DDOS or server maintenance..

I took my time on Episode 1 and that took me two hours...

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I am loving BF1. 

I have the early enlisted version so I have been playing for about a week now. At first I HATED the Support class at first, because the default weapon is BEYOND terrible. Use some war bonds so you can upgrade to a new weapon. The LMGs can wreck once you update your gun. They also have the wrench tool to repair vehicles on the go. If playing game types like Domination or TDM, or in situations where you just need to break a line by flat out killing... Assault is the class to use. Their SMGs are WAY OP. haha. 

Environments are great, and really create some chaos in the battle. 

I have been playing primarily Rush. Most of the maps play really well for it, some of them are just too open, providing too much opportunity for tanks and snipers to crush without much chance to fight back against them. Battlefield is way too snipe happy anyway. Join a team with 1/3rd of the team Scout... well, we lost. Sure enough, never take the first set of OBJs. 

One thing that CoD does so much better than Battlefield... menus. The menus is this game are terrible. Just worthless. Yeah, they have the companion app, and I am using it now... but that should just be in game. But that has always been Battlefield. Still, you think they would learn. 

If you are playing as a medic... please revive! I can't stand medics that are like standing right on top of me... nothing going on... they don't revive. hah. In a party last night, friend revived me, I got up defused A, ran over and then defused B. Won the match at that set of OBJs. Just remember, the man you revive could save the free world. :P 

24 minutes ago, Auptyk said:

One thing that CoD does so much better than Battlefield... menus. The menus is this game are terrible. Just worthless. Yeah, they have the companion app, and I am using it now... but that should just be in game. But that has always been Battlefield. Still, you think they would learn. 

This was my initial gripe but thankfully loadout customisation will eventually be integrated into the core menu https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/19/battlefield-1-this-is-why-you-cant-customise-weapon-loadouts-from-the-menu/ I've been using the companion app but on a couple of occasions my classes have reset completely or some selections have reverted back to default which has been a pain so I'm not even holding out too much hope for that to be working effectively on release but as long as it's there and I don't have to mess about mid-game or through the app; I'll be happier for sure! 

The ambience of this game really is something else. Dropping a health crate only to hear nearby team mates yelling thanks is fantastic. The shouting from other soldiers is excellent, you always feel like you're about to jump from the pan to the fire. 

The menus, interface and party system are quite simply the worst I've seen in forever. The hit detection is completely borked at times but it's not game breaking.

As for medics, I play mainly a medic and get sick and tired of people ressing as I'm standing there stabbing them with my syringe. My system is this: squad members or friends = instant res. Randoms I'll wait a few seconds before running through a barrage of bullets to get to them to make sure they're actially waiting for a res rather than just holding down X to respawn. As a title tip, a downed teammate's name plate will flash if he's ressing so don't waste your time. Also, medics are a bit buggy in that sometimes we pull out a gas mask instead of a syringe. This is a bug apparently, so keep that in mind. 

banlol.png

I must admit, after playing the beta I wasn't sold on this game. However a few hours in, I can tell that this is a game I'll really be able to get my teeth into. I like the fact it's a high learning curve and you're really forced to work on your position and battle techniques rather than being an awesome rocket boosting battle robot.

I haven't touched the game modes with the vehicles yet but I really want to try and get the hang of it this time around as it's a massive facet of the game and I don't want to limit myself.

I'm really happy I took the plunge as this is going to be in my go to game pile for quite some time. 

4 hours ago, Diddums said:

The ambience of this game really is something else. Dropping a health crate only to hear nearby team mates yelling thanks is fantastic. The shouting from other soldiers is excellent, you always feel like you're about to jump from the pan to the fire. 

This really is one of my favorite aspects of the game. The sound. Friend in Team Speak, "It's really quiet right now... where are they?" ... Not three seconds later the whole mountain side was loud explosions, gun fire, screaming... "What was that about quiet?" haha. Like you, I love that the other players characters interact and yell etc. Really pulls you in. Immersion typically isn't a big thing in Multiplayer because they are focusing on other aspects, but this game manages to pull off both really well. 

On 10/24/2016 at 9:50 PM, Auptyk said:

This really is one of my favorite aspects of the game. The sound. Friend in Team Speak, "It's really quiet right now... where are they?" ... Not three seconds later the whole mountain side was loud explosions, gun fire, screaming... "What was that about quiet?" haha. Like you, I love that the other players characters interact and yell etc. Really pulls you in. Immersion typically isn't a big thing in Multiplayer because they are focusing on other aspects, but this game manages to pull off both really well. 

One of the best game modes for this aspect is Operations, soldiers shouting as they abandon a sector and onto the next one sounds like a full on charge!

Just played a couple of hours domination only and my main gripe so far is the UI it's terrible. So far no real issues with how the gane runs other than this medal business and nothing counting towards anything so that's what I need to suss out.

I also still would prefer people to appear on mini map when firing guns but I guess it was removed due to no silencers available.

Game looks good and I'm looking forward to unlocking better stuff in time.

The UI does suck ass.  

What don't you like about the medals?  I enjoy that aspect.  

I really like that you don't appear on the mini map every time you shoot.  I think it causes a lot more action.  People aren't so afraid to shoot their guns.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

UI is balls as per everyones comments.  Overall impression so far is good.  Hit detection sometimes is awful, I don't know if its a headglitch but sometimes I can shoot a guy 3 or 4 times and not get a single hit registered (it's usually near an object so I'm thinking that is the reason). Vehicles just don't add anything for me, and the train/boat/airship just seems like an unnecessary addition that punishes a winning team.

It's the usual story, when it works it's sublime, but get a shitty team, and it's 20 minutes of frustration. 

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

4 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

The UI does suck ass.  

What don't you like about the medals?  I enjoy that aspect.  

I really like that you don't appear on the mini map every time you shoot.  I think it causes a lot more action.  People aren't so afraid to shoot their guns.  

I don't like how the medals are selected rather than just rank up in the background.

8 hours ago, techno said:

I also still would prefer people to appear on mini map when firing guns but I guess it was removed due to no silencers available.

5 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I read that they took that out to give the game the intensity/immersion of actually being "in the war" (some reviews mention this as well). I really prefer this change from previous Battlefields, as you point out BB it really increases the action and the firing etc... the chaos. 

I prefer the Doritos have been removed from the minimap. I used to stealth it in BF4 with a silencer picking off any orange triangle I could see on the map even if I couldn't spot them from my position. It felt really easy just ghosting it and a bit harsh on the people who advertised their position even if they couldn't be seen on the eye thanks to just a silencer.    

On the whole, I love it and I can't wait to rank up more to the point where I'll have more guns to choose from.

A few things that annoy me though:

- Warbonds. Holy fuck I can't seem to earn these at all. Take me a fucking age to unlock anything and some of the weapons early on just seem to suck major wang.

- Conquest. Not something I've ever bothered with in BF3 or BFH. Thought I'd give it a go this time around and my impression so far is FUCK THAT. Had a game in that forest map where my team was up by 200 points more then the enemy team at one point. We ended up losing by over 50 points. Why? Armored train. Enemy team just kept coming at us with it and that fucking thing was raining hell on all of us pretty much spawn trapping us to the point where we struggled to even hold 1 flag. Holy fuck that thing is unbalanced. Fix now plox!

- Support class. This used to be my go to class in BFH. Wide variety of weaponry, can supply yourself with ammo and usually had my best games on BFH with that class. In BF1? LMG's. LMG's everywhere... I don't see this class being worth fuck all until I can maybe get a BAR as most people seem to run that and kill me pretty quickly. Also whenever people do run this they never fucking drop ammo. Wtf people?

- The players. I have games wherre my team dominates the other and also the other way around. But sometimes my teams or the other team just seems to have no fucking clue where to go. 90% of them are even higher level then me! Had a TDM game on Ballroom blitz yesterday where we lost 40-100. Why? Cause my team went and got spawn trapped after no less then 50 seconds. Not even kidding. They ran right into the enemy team, didn't try to flank or get to any of the better positions around the map. Just kept on running into death. Fuck sake...

After more time with this game I'm split love the setting and the immersion etc, I'm getting to grips with the different classes but I just am not drawn to playing it like bf4. There just isn't the depth in content I feel like other than ranking up there's nothing to really do. I used to play bf4 and my main aim was to use as many weapons as possible and get them to mastery but there just isn't enough in bf1, I know there weren't  that many around but I'd drop some realism for more content personally. 

Behemoths as mentioned are stupid.

The tanks seem a little op no way should you be able to go 60-0 no matter how good you are.

Then there's gas, this for me is the biggest problem and needs addressing, this shit gets spammed everywhere and more so on objectives, it either needs nerfing or let me ads in a gas masks ffs.

Bf1 can be fun and a good game and I do want it to be but it can also make me want to turn off almost immediately but it needs some issues addressed imo before I put ant more money into dlc.