What is your top game of the 90s?

Luseth

Looking back we were in a state of transition, moving away from 16 bit graphics to experience our first forray into 3d. A lot of the 3d models were blockish and certainly would not hold up well today, heck it's not often you see someone make a 90s style game but people do keep going back to our 16 bit era.

So, are there any games you remember fondly? For me it'ss the obvious final fantasy games, but in addition to that I always remember fighting force. Spending a lot of time on streets of rage when I was younger I suppose this was the sort of game that evolved from them, walking around 3d levels beating the crap out of people.

So, are there any that you remember fondly?

Luseth.png

Very tough choice because the 90's made some huge strides in very little time and the industry kept evolving and innovating massively - imagine going from Doom to Half Life in just 5 years! The gulf between a 2019 game compared to a 2024 one now is almost nothing. 

Metal Gear Solid is a very strong shout because it told an incredible story and had some unforgettable gameplay moments. There's also Half Life as mentioned, Resident Evil 2, FF7, Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Age of Empires 2 and many more. 

I'd probably give it to MGS overall as it pushed the PS1 to the max and also exposed Nintendo's mistake in using cartridges as even some of the sound files were bigger than an entire N64 game! Games going from 2D to 3D was big in those days and Mario 64 was also a significant leap. 

I really miss huge innovations like that these days. 

Being born in 1993 I didn’t have too much time with video games in the 90’s. That being said, I did have a game boy and a Dreamcast. So I would have to say Pokemon Red/Blue for me, with a shoutout to SoulCalibur too!

27 minutes ago, WelchyTV said:

Being born in 1993 I didn’t have too much time with video games in the 90’s. That being said, I did have a game boy and a Dreamcast. So I would have to say Pokemon Red/Blue for me, with a shoutout to SoulCalibur too!

I was born in 1990, that's no excuse! 😛

A lot of my gaming was gameboy / megadrive to be fair. The gameboy was the first one my parents bought me but I got the mega drive quite young as I was given it by my cousin, he was much older and I think at the age where gaming got left behind a little while he went off chasing girls and such I suspect.

Luseth.png