Game of the Year

WelchyTV

Inspired by last nights Game Awards. I thought it would be cool to organise an awards show for Forever Gaming!

I’m still new here so not sure if this already happens or not, but I would be happy to volunteer to organise this. My initial thoughts are that everyone would submit to me their Top 5 (or 10?) games of the year, in order. I would then use a points system (top game getting most points, bottom game getting the least) to work out our collective game of the year! 

Not sure Forever Gaming has a YouTube channel or not, but I would be happy to make this into a video format too, counting down from the number 5 (or 10) spot. 

We could also do other categories, such as best RPG, best multiplayer etc. but thought for the first year it may be better to concentrate on just Game of the Year for now? 

Let me know your thoughts, I think it could be fun and interesting to see what this forum considers to be Game of the year! 

1 hour ago, WelchyTV said:

Inspired by last nights Game Awards. I thought it would be cool to organise an awards show for Forever Gaming!

I’m still new here so not sure if this already happens or not, but I would be happy to volunteer to organise this. My initial thoughts are that everyone would submit to me their Top 5 (or 10?) games of the year, in order. I would then use a points system (top game getting most points, bottom game getting the least) to work out our collective game of the year! 

Not sure Forever Gaming has a YouTube channel or not, but I would be happy to make this into a video format too, counting down from the number 5 (or 10) spot. 

We could also do other categories, such as best RPG, best multiplayer etc. but thought for the first year it may be better to concentrate on just Game of the Year for now? 

Let me know your thoughts, I think it could be fun and interesting to see what this forum considers to be Game of the year! 

I love this idea! I reckon there would be a few interested on here as well. And definately happy to contribute even if it is just stating my top games of the year 🙂

Luseth.png

Yeah, I'm sure everyone would be up for contributing. We've done similar in the past I.e. asking ppl to list their favourite games...but never filmed any results.

We do have a YouTube channel, check the video section, particularly GTAV race night videos which are hilarious just for Leigh's laughter 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm totally open for seeing something a little different here in video format 😄 As Phil says, we've talked about it in the past in posts but never in our own video. Happy to get it on FG YouTube channels if you feel like you want to have a stab at it. Our YouTube is easily found through the links on here. @tronic44 has usually been great at collating vids in the past for stuff like this too so could be a good shout to talk to if we get info in. Good shout @WelchyTV ❤️

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

This sounds like a fun idea.  Maybe some personal short videos of what each of our games of the year is.  Maybe run a poll too for each of our FG forum categories?  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Sounds like there is definitely enough interest to do this!

I will set up a survey for everyone to fill out, but I will wait a few weeks before sending it. This will give everyone a few weeks over the Christmas break to catch up or finish any games on their backlog (I know I have a few I want to get to), that way we will get a more complete list.  

I will send the survey around the 30th/31st December, and will leave it open for a week to allow for people to see it and fill it out. Il hopefully then be able to share the final standings and the video a week or so later! 

Hopefully that sounds like a good plan to everyone, let me know if you think there’s a better way. Should I send the survey earlier and leave it open longer?

I like the idea of adding an award for each FG forum category @Riff Machine , so I will add those to the survey too! 

You might find the polls on FG abit easier to capture everyone's thoughts like @Riff Machine says - mainly because people will be here viewing posts and threads more so than external links. Happy to see what everyone else thinks.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

You might find the polls on FG abit easier to capture everyone's thoughts like @Riff Machine says - mainly because people will be here viewing posts and threads more so than external links. Happy to see what everyone else thinks.

Great point, sorry still quite new here and haven’t used all the features! 

Had a quick look at the polls page and couldn’t see how to set one up, might be missing it or don’t know if I need to be given permission? Is there a way to make the results private so only I can see? Think it would make it much more interesting if no one had any idea what game won until it’s announced?! 

On 12/8/2023 at 10:19 AM, WelchyTV said:

This sounds like a fantastic idea, you have my full support.

For creating polls, when you create a new topic there should be a tab like this:

image.png

I'm not sure how to hide the results, I've just had a look around the admin panel and it's not a standard feature of the software so I'll have a look around and see if there's a plugin or something for it. 

banlol.png

Thanks @Diddums that’s really helpful. 

I’ve had a quick play with it and the more I think about it, I’m not sure a poll is the best way to do this? 

I personally think it would work best if everyone submitted their top 5 or 10 games in a list, rather than everyone just picking one game. That way we can have a proper list and countdown of our top 5 or 10 games. 

Aware that not everyone would have played 10 or more games that released this year so thought maybe 5 would be better? Was going to use a scoring system like this: 

1st place: 5 points

2nd place: 4 points

3rd place: 3 points

4th place: 2 points

5th place: 1 point

With a poll I wouldn’t be able to determine the ranking of everyone’s picks. It’s still doable, just less fair in my opinion? If the preference is to keep it on this site rather than an external survey, I would be happy for everyone to message me their lists if that would work? 

Let me know your thoughts, really keen to get this to work well for everyone and seems to be something we all want to do! 

Tell everyone to nominate 5 games, let it run for a week or so, and then tally up the most common ones and create a poll. 

If you need any support with this let me know, happy to help out.

banlol.png

5 hours ago, Diddums said:

Tell everyone to nominate 5 games, let it run for a week or so, and then tally up the most common ones and create a poll. 

If you need any support with this let me know, happy to help out.

Great idea! Ok I will get this process started shortly, just want to do a trial poll to see what I can do with it! 

Ok so one problem with the poll is that I can either limit it to one selection per person, or unlimited selections. The other thing is that it’s limited to 20 games.

Easy solutions: ask everyone to limit their picks to 5 and trust that everyone will stick to that. Also, if more than 20 games are nominated, then the games with the least nominations will have to miss out. 

Most votes wins! If there are multiple games with the same amount of votes then that will be fine, unless it is tied for top spot. My suggestion would then be that a final poll is created to decide the winner. If still a tie, then that will have to be the outcome! 

Does this sound good to everyone? It keeps it on the forum/site rather than an external survey website. 

What is the best way to reach as many members as possible to vote? Can we add something to the articles page, or is there a way to send a notification to everyone? 

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far, hopefully this will be fun and a success! 

9 hours ago, McNasty said:

GOTY for me is the same as it's been for probably 5 years now - Rocket league

Entirely unhelpful, for the poll I know.  Not sure why I haven't been able to get into any new games at all for such a long time.   

I second this 🤚

On 12/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, WelchyTV said:

Ok so one problem with the poll is that I can either limit it to one selection per person, or unlimited selections. The other thing is that it’s limited to 20 games.

Easy solutions: ask everyone to limit their picks to 5 and trust that everyone will stick to that. Also, if more than 20 games are nominated, then the games with the least nominations will have to miss out. 

Most votes wins! If there are multiple games with the same amount of votes then that will be fine, unless it is tied for top spot. My suggestion would then be that a final poll is created to decide the winner. If still a tie, then that will have to be the outcome! 

Does this sound good to everyone? It keeps it on the forum/site rather than an external survey website. 

What is the best way to reach as many members as possible to vote? Can we add something to the articles page, or is there a way to send a notification to everyone? 

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far, hopefully this will be fun and a success! 

I think people here are should be able to limit their picks to 5 ^_^

As for reaching members, when you set it up there is a whatsapp group @GazzaGarratt not sure if Welchy has had an invite to it? That might be the best way, just drop the link into the whatsapp announcements maybe?

Luseth.png

@Luseth, I usually put updates of key threads on there, so happy to do this when its ready - obviously the more ppl share FG threads too, the better. 🙂

Anyone can join the WhatsApp community by just messaging me, not a problem. I don't push it anywhere because obviously people aren't all on it and this is the home of FG that people need to keep checking in (plus its not really for gaming talk, as its just banter crap you wouldn't put on here).

17 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

@Luseth, I usually put updates of key threads on there, so happy to do this when its ready - obviously the more ppl share FG threads too, the better. 🙂

Anyone can join the WhatsApp community by just messaging me, not a problem. I don't push it anywhere because obviously people aren't all on it and this is the home of FG that people need to keep checking in (plus its not really for gaming talk, as its just banter crap you wouldn't put on here).

Yeah FG's home is here. And not everyone uses WhatsApp, so the forum is the place for reaching members 🖤

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Well then, I guess there’s no time like the present to get this started. Rather than starting a new topic, we may as well do it in this one!

Everyone, please respond in this topic with the 5 games you want to nominate for Game of the Year! The only rule is that the game must have originally released in the year 2023 (e.g. if the game released on another console in 2022, but came to your console in 2023, this would not be eligible).

I will ‘Stop the count’ on Christmas Day. I will then open a poll after the Christmas break (hopefully the 29th/30th) with all the nominated games. We have a maximum entry of 20 games, so the games with the least amount of nominations will have to miss out if we have more than 20 nominated! So be sure to nominate the our favourite games even if you’ve seen someone else nominate it! 

I will post more about the poll voting process when that time is nearer, but for now reply to this post with your 5 nominations (or less if you haven’t played 5 games worthy of nomination!!)

If you can share this with as many different members as possible to make this is varied as a true representation of the Forever Gaming community! 

I will start the process with my 5 nominations in no particular order:

- Lies of P

- Spider-Man 2

- Star Wars Jedi Survivor 

- Sea of Stars

- Starfield

(A lot of ‘stars’ this year …)

14 minutes ago, Diddums said:

@WelchyTV make a new thread mate, and pop a link in here. These mugs will never click on this thread. Call it "FG GOTY 2023 - Nominations" or something!

Haha thanks mate, done! 

Here is the link for the Game of the Year nominations topic: https://forevergaming.co.uk/forum/forums/topic/10464-fg-game-of-the-year-2023-nominations/#comment-157384