Does climate change scare / concern you?

Luseth

I don't really have many fears but the one thing that does scare me both for myself and my children is the way the planet's going. It has been reported that this year we are going to be 1.4 degrees C warmer than pre-industrial years, admittedly part of it is this El Nino event but it can't be all that.

The weather forecasts are for between 24 and 27 degrees this coming weekend / next week in the UK, in October.... As someone who grows veg I don't see how that's not going to affect things, seeds that are typically dormant are going to start sprouting for example. 

Does it concern any of you? Are you choosing to ignore it / live in ignorance to the changes? The reality now is it is affecting today and not really a problem for tomorrow which for the past 10-20 years it was always considered to be. I know it's easy to say well there's nothing I can do about it but has anyone considered moving home because of the impact it might have on where you currently live or trying to make your household more self sustainable i.e. less reliant upon society?

Luseth.png

Climate change is definitely a concern but at the same time, so is fearmongering bullshit peddled by the ill-informed media. These climate extremes are nothing new - October in 2011 was pushing 30 degrees and over 100 years ago, even the end of September's could often exceed 30. In the 1970's, the UK experienced 16 consecutive days over 30 degrees before having several periods of wank weather since. Our July was miserable here and almost like a nostalgic English summer.

These incidents are just more pronounced now thanks to social media, heavily-bankrolled researchers needing persistent funding spanning decades and hypocritical climate protesters who post persistent misinformation they don't understand or can't comprehend. Even the Greece wildfires which were exclusively blamed on climate change by the Western media were actually a result of collaborated arson attacks which were filmed and published online and eventually saw 79 people identified and arrested. There were similar cases in Canada and California and once the human-element was discovered, the stories were sent to the bottom of the pile and comment sections were locked. The recent Hawaii fires which were also jumped on as a result of climate turned out to be poorly maintained electrical equipment setting fire to vegetation. Winds in the area also helped propel the fire rapidly. Once this was confirmed, the media abandoned the story and articles were 'modified' to add a speculative angle. 

There is also overwhelming evidence that counter-research is being supressed from public publication at a huge cost and even Sadiq Khan was listed as an instigator as he blocked a conclusive report that his ULEZ scheme was worthless to the environment. There is no doubt climate change exists but it is very hard to have a real understanding of the true projected impact because of all this absolute tripe being peddled. Countries need to be doing more to reduce pollution regardless though. 

In answer to your thread question 

No and no.

Climate change denier is a dumb term because most people would agree the climate has always changed its the effect people have on it that's the point. 

My point is, I,  like most live pretty average lives we recycle we don't waste energy as who seeks higher bills etc however I see those that are better off and or in power not changing their ways while expecting us too. We all have a limited time on earth and as such I would while I can enjoy it, I won't be giving up the things I enjoy, I'm not a hypocrite like those I see on social media.

Also we can all agree that if technology exists to benefit a greener healthier world then great but not at any cost, putting time limits on hitting targets imo is not the right way to go, some better tech may get overlooked as it doesn't fit a particular timescale, see the EV debate. Also green initiatives  seem to impact the poorer in society more.

Nobody also seems to want to address a major issue population growth, does anyone think that's sustainable?

🤷

Yep, I'm worried, but then I don't have my head stuck up my arse. I don't really think about it too much as I value my mental health 🙂

On another note, over population is a discredited myth usually only peddled by extreme right wing nut jobs these days, so now I'm dying to know who's been scaring Gary 😅

Over consumption, now that's a different matter.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

5 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Yep, I'm worried, but then I don't have my head stuck up my arse. I don't really think about it too much as I value my mental health 🙂

On another note, over population is a discredited myth usually only peddled by extreme right wing nut jobs these days, so now I'm dying to know who's been scaring Gary 😅

Over consumption, now that's a different matter.

I'm not sure who these right wing nut jobs are but having done a quick Google it seems some "environmental" sources etc seem to deem it one. However it's the over consumption part that I was hinting at especially the ever increasing throw away society aspect of it.

No doubt that encompasses your dislike of the capitalist way of life.

1 hour ago, techno said:

I'm not sure who these right wing nut jobs are but having done a quick Google it seems some "environmental" sources etc seem to deem it one. However it's the over consumption part that I was hinting at especially the ever increasing throw away society aspect of it.

No doubt that encompasses your dislike of the capitalist way of life.

You know me too well 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It's definitely real, definitely concerning and some are working on it. We have no choice in the energy sector worldwide. We have specific targets in NY to meet and regulation to back it up. I hate to say it, but without it, the world's toxic capitalism would let everything burn. We carry it as a risk and are spending billions at our company for mitigation. Climate refugees are starting to be a thing, will be much more profound over the next decade as the sea consumes low lying island communities and coastal areas all while storms become more extreme. We are spending a lot of money on ensuring the climate science is solid and promoted, happy to share more if anyone is interested.