E3 Cancelled

A real shame because this year was the chance for smaller companies to take the big stage after many of the AAA ones declined an invite to maintain their own shows. It would’ve been the first E3 since the pandemic but it seems the wider interest wasn’t quite there. Ubisoft had centre stage but they backed out last week to attend Summer Game Fest along with Devolver Digtial. 

There was also apparently a huge lack of information with some publishers unsure it was even going ahead and too apprehensive to commit. All this just two months before the event and no confirmed developers set in stone. Looks like SGF will take the reigns from now on as E3 was out of touch and completely disorganised. A real shame because it was an iconic event that never recovered in recent years

image.thumb.jpeg.4358500f49374360af0c479246010e45.jpeg

I called that back in episode 31 of my podcast.  Not surprising at all.  At least we have the memories.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

On 3/31/2023 at 10:42 PM, Riff Machine said:

I called that back in episode 31 of my podcast.  Not surprising at all.  At least we have the memories.

It was a good shout and can see why you said it. Agree with all your thoughts on your recent podcast too. They do need to pivot, as Adrian said but thats if we ever see one again like you made clear.

Its a strange feeling because you do feel like its an end of era in some sorts. Even though I love being at home when I work now for many family and personal reasons, stuff like this always felt like a huge physical hype train coming our ways and there was a little hope I could make it there one day to feel the experience live. With most just doing it through youtube as its cheaper it makes sense business wise, but feels strange we are moving further and further away from physical things more than ever.

If it was me, I'd rebrand and do a show that is all about nostalgia moving forward. Get big developer names up and get interesting facts out about old games, and then get a few new secrets if you can when they go there. Just make it essentially a big huge Arcade Club style event.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Most gaming related events seem to focus on current and upcoming games but looking at numerous ComicCon's there's some focus on teaser trailers for new things but a lot of the panels and guests are from old shows.  So I think it could be cool to have a retro focused one in a similar vein especially as 5, 10+ years later people might be more open about some of the things that happened during production.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png